“Really gone down-hill”
Review of Oddfellows

Oddfellows
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This always used to be one of my favourite places in Chester, but over the past 6/12 months , the quality has deteriorated - it is still a great place to go & have a drink in the gardens on a sunny day (although be prepared to pay for the privilege - drinks are quite dear!)

The service & quality of food here is not what it used to be: I have had 2 disappointing experiences lately that I will mention

(A) afternoon tea - don't bother!! It is bulky bridge rolls (every filling smothered in mayo), and rock hard scones & brownies - there are other venues who offer much better quality

(B) lunch - whilst there appeared to actually be more staff than diners, it was difficult to get anyone's attention, the food was mediocre & the main was served on cold plates, with dessert served on warm plates - go figure!!

I will be back to drink wine in the beautiful gardens but will not be eating here again, too many better places in Chester & the sooner the venue realise that, hopefully, the better!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My daughter held her wedding reception here last Saturday - a lovely time, staff extremely helpful & quietly courteous throughout. They did so much to make sure everything was just right. It's a beautifully decorated and furnished hotel (bedrooms included) and the function rooms needed no extra embellishments. The outside terrace was lovely.
The food was excellent - many guests commented on it's quality.
I've had so many comments from our guests about how much they enjoyed Oddfellows and it's location right in the middle of town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 50KAP
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I attended a wedding here and was amazed at the place.

The service by Rick Rainey and his team of Josh, Rebbecca, Rachel and Mattius (memory man extraordinaire) was impressive in its painstaking and understated precision, They would sneak up on you with food and drink, if you asked for something it arrived, brilliant.

The venue it's self is magical, all of the rooms are themed and different the function areas are an eclectic mix that makes you feel your in Wonderland and Alice will run past any second. The main and oldest part leads to an open "garden" area where tables are in open garden sheds and the back bar area is a stylised potting shed, it's so much more than it sounds.

The food was delicious and presented to fine dining standards.

I can't wait to go again.

Room Tip: If you want old world ask for the rooms in the main building if you want an adventure ask for one in...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Richb--ch
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 5 minutes late for an afternoon booking, there were two large tables but one left as we arrived, apart from that the restaurant was empty. We had to wait for our table to be laid and then we where seated by a very nice though slightly frazzled waiter. It took a while to get a menu and we had to ask for a wine menu but finally after 20 minutes we placed our order. Smoked salmon and a Caesar salad. Half an hour later they arrived. At this point the waitess who took the order came to top up our wine. She managed to drip condensation from the bottle all over my salad, so much so I had to lift the plate to which she made no comment or adjustment and she filled the glass to the brim. Then she had brought the wrong starter for my partner and took it away without much apology, iI think she must have been having a very bad day as she was quite surly. When it finally came back my husband was pleased with the salmon as it had a delicious though unmentioned salmon pâté with it. My chicken Caesar was nothing special, it lacked croutons and had a very sparse amount of dressing which I notice the next table asked for more of but the chicken was tender. The main course of pork loin was good though again uninspired and a few of the roast potates were badly burnt. The highlight was the brownie with tiramisu ice cream, delicious. Overall it was ok. £ 19.50 for three courses, nice setting, mixed service and ok food. I would go back but my husband would be reluctant.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Well worth a visit even if only for a drink in the wonderful garden , advisable to book if you want to eat here. A gem of a find in this wonderful city the memorials on the walled garden are well worth a look , fabulous atmosphere.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2013

What a place! Went there for an afternoon tea in the garden, very stylish, absolutely loved it!
Very good selection of sandwiches and cakes for only 15.00£ per person! Enjoyed a glass of bubbly for just an extra £4.00!
The restaurant is als very classy, saw some plates coming out, and really made me want to stay for dinner and overnight stay...maybe soon!
Will come back for sure!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for my nieces wedding, the wedding service was really good, but I am afraid the hotel left a lot to be desired. The room we had was in the new wing, the bed was very comfy but that was about all, there was no drawers and the wardrobe was down stairs. In the lounge part the table had a large crack in it and the seating was very low not much room and uncomfortable. The drinks and food are very expensive for what you get. We paid £155 per night which included a breakfast to go, but we still had to ask for this twice as they forgot to bring it. If you wanted a full breakfast you had to pay an extra £12 per person (if you go across the road to a little café you can get a full breakfast for £4.95). We have stayed in a lot of hotels in many different places and had better accommodation and service. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I can only go off our experience, choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family