“Civil partnership ceremony”

Ranked #6 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Civil partnership ceremony”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We are just reflecting on what a wonderful day we had at Oddfellows for our special day. Consideration with the planning details (which changed several times.)
The Professionalism, presentation, politeness and attentiveness of all the staff.
The quality of the food.
All helped to contribute to an outstanding and memorable day, which went without a single hitch.
We held our ceremony here, had our wedding breakfast here and then our guests returned in the evening for a private dinner.
They happily serviced our unusual requests, like producing evening A la carte menus for our guests with no prices on them.
The venue was quirky and just the right size for our party (24)
The Suite we stayed in was impeccable.
If you want a special, different, unusual venue, combined with the professionalism of larger organisations but without the impersonal corporate feeling that comes with bigger hotels - this is the one for you...

Room Tip: For that extra bit of special day luxury go for a two tier suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Found this for a business trip as an alternative to the standard business joints. It's definitely different. It looks quite unassuming from the outside but as soon as you enter, the mishmash of decor and funky details does make you smile, which is great after a long trip.

The hotel is reached by going through the bar/restaurant which takes you inside, then out, then back in again through various different colours and...quirky textures. The room I stayed in was a decent size and thoughtfully equipped with a nice Nespresso-fuelled lounge area, "interesting" sort-of-50's decor and a nice walk-in shower/bathroom area with decent pressure and heat (simple things!). It's definitely characterful, although it maybe bordered a little on try-hard and the air conditioning system was noisy and a pain to switch off. The circular bed was a nice touch, although for anyone who hasn't slept in one - not as comfy as it looks.

Restaurant looked great but unfortunately they didn't serve very late so didn't get a chance to try out the fare. Bar and outdoor/indoor seating were perfect for a bit of late night working. What little contact I had with the staff wasn't great - checking in and out took far too long and their slightly drained and tired demeanour detracted a little from the mood of the place.

Otherwise it's a decent enough place for something different (maybe not "special") and would be great for a couple. Also seemed to be in a great location for access to the motorway (although parking wasn't great) and easy to get into town for a late night meal. Will definitely check it out if back in this quite interesting area again.

Room Tip: From what my travelling partner said, every room is different so maybe enquire in advance about the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Quirky is a much over-used word but in the case of Oddfellows it is about as appropriate as it gets. From the chair with stirrups in reception next to a life size pig coffee table, the meeting room with table and chair on the ceiling and every room seemingly not quite 'square' - and the over abundance of bird motif wall paper - it is boutique certainly. The staff are attentive and professional (when did I last get a napkin placed on lap at breakfast?), and the food was great. My room had a roll top bath next to the bed and a huge walk-in shower, whilst my colleague had a duplex room and round bed. The rooms even had coffee machines which is always good as I don't do instant.
This was not our first choice hotel, but our previous haunts were full: it is definitely first now.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Izvor
Staffordshire
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I had booked for a friend and I as well as my young daughter to have afternoon tea and from the moment we arrived the staff and service were superb.
We went straight to our table, they provided a high chair without asking, placed us on a lovely large table with lots of room with a view to the outside area.
The afternoon tea was just delicious and they even do a version for children too which was just lovely.
I couldn't fault anything.
I'd chosen Oddfellows after reading previous reviews on trip advisor and also as they accommodated young children.
Would definitely recommend and return myself.
Thank you for a lovely afternoon.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Helen C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at Oddfellows Chester for our anniversary celebration. Upon arrival we were greeted nicely, we were a little early to check in but I had planned to spend the time on a high tea in the restaurant - Let Them Eat Cake. We ordered our high tea and it arrived in good time, however when I requested soya milk for our tea, I was informed "we don't have it unfortunately" I found this to be a little strange as a gluten free option was available for the high tea, a more advanced dietary requirement than that of not drinking cows milk.

Following the high tea we proceeded to our room via reception, where we had left our bags in good faith. Our bags were still there, however I was a little disappointed to see them in exactly the same spot, I thought they may have been moved to a slightly more secure area. We were escorted to our room and instructed on how to use the door keycard and fob and then ushered into our room (room18).

Initial impressions of the room were good, nicely decorated and clean, with the novel feature of a bathtub in the bedroom itself. However upon testing the bed, we were disappointed to find it was two single beds pushed together and not a double as was requested, we decided we would accept this on this occasion as complaining at this point may have stilted our celebration.

We went for a pleasant stroll around Chester, prior to our reservation in the Garden Restaurant at 8:30pm. On arrival the restaurant was quite noisy as there was a large party of approx 12 people in the centre of the restaurant. We were given a choice of table, but informed that one of them may get a little noisy later on. We opted for the quieter table. Service started off well with arrival of our starters. However, when the main courses arrived i was surprised to find on my plate the same dishes we had ordered as a side dish, this was a little unfortunate as I would not ordered those side dishes (chunky chips and rocket salad) had I known they were accompanying my meal already. This could/should have been explained to me when I was ordering. At this point in the evening a large group of males (approx 16) entered the restaurant from the bar, where they had clearly been drinking. The noise generated after there arrival was almost unbearable, adding to the fact there didn't appear to be any background music (or the noise from other diners was so loud you couldn't hear it). We were pleased to of finished our meal so that we could get out of the noisy restaurant and enjoy the rest of our evening, which we did. An apology for the noise was made when the bill arrived. However in my opinion it was an unacceptable level of noise for a mid to high end restaurant run by a michelin starred chef.

We slept well and in the morning we wondered what were we to about the light breakfast that was included in our room rate, as no one had mentioned anything of it. We were disappointed to find out that you had to preorder the night before by 9pm in order to receive said breakfast which was served in the room. We decided to go elsewhere for breakfast.

When checking out I relayed the above points to the receptionist, who didn't seem too bothered. His explanation about the soya milk was that not much is used so it goes out of date, that is why it is not held in stock. The room was explained to be a double or a twin, but in my opinion is only a twin and as such should not be advertised as a double. The noise of other guests in the restaurant was explained as being out with the staffs control.

So all in all a rather disappointing stay.

The above was sent as an email to the reception of oddfellows on 2 occasions over two weeks ago. I have not received any response. This illustrates to me quite clearly the level of customer care offered at this establishment - minimal at best.

Room Tip: Ask for a double if you want a double. Some rooms advertised as doubles are actually twins.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billybunsen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a treat for my boyfriends birthday and absolutely loved the design and style of the hotel and rooms.it is really unique and great attention to detail.however,the room we were in overlooked the "secret garden" which it appears is a very very popular bar in chester.consequently the room was very noisy from music and chatter.it went on until at least 11.30 so basically you are not able to go to bed before they close the bar. There is no reference to this on their website, so I was a quite annoyed as if I had of known I would not have booked the hotel.
I mentioned it to the girl when we checked out and I did get an apology,saying "they had no function on but did not expect to be so busy,so sorry it was so loud" when you are charging £160 for a room I don't really think that's good enough

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Minibee8
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The true mettel of a hotel is when things don't quite go according to plan. A situation arose totally outside the control of the hotel which meant some rooms were without power and water for a few hours. As we spent most of the day out and about in Chester (the hotel is a 2 minute walk to the shopping centre of Chester) it hardly affected us but the hotel could not have been more apologetic for the inconvenience. We were given breakfast, immediately offered another room to shower and later a bottle of Prosecco on ice arrived at our room compliments of the management. The staff are absolutely superb, friendly, attentive and professional. The room was clean with a very modern bathroom and the hotel decor just has to be seen - beautifully quirky. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming and you must at least put it on the list for a visit. When asked if we would be back our reply was that we would not consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple