“Birthday ”

Oddfellows
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Birthday ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend & I stayed here as a treat for his 40th birthday it was amazing. I emailed a few days prior to arrival to see if they could put some birthday balloons in our room which they did.The room was stunning the staff so helpful I'd defiantly stay again. The atmosphere was fantastic on a Friday night you had no need to leave the lovely bar area. Beautiful quirky amazing place can't wait to go back. Thankyou xx

Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at oddfellows for one night in one of the luxury doubles and we loved it. The room was'nt the biggest but definitely one of the best we have stayed in, it was quirky, had all the facilities you needed and was absolutely spotless. I can understand what reviewers mean about the bathroom but we actually really liked it. The hotel itself was something else and the staff could not do enough for us. The only meal which we had there was breakfast there was a nice choice on the menu and we both chose the English breakfast which cost us an additional £12 each, there was also an option of a complimentary take away breakfast which looked ok as well. There is an overnight car park just around the corner £12 for 24 hours but the hotel give you an Half price voucher on check out. Like I said we loved it and are already looking at when we can go back there.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tracy S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a Sunday night as a birthday treat. From beginning to end the staff were bright, friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. The rear garden is a special feature and provides a warm, cosy relaxing setting to have a few drinks, chat and chill. Breakfast is waiter service, we had the full English and it was delicious and ample. My only little gripe is that we had a room in a new building at the rear of the hotel. The room itself was great, clean and the bed was very comfy. However the en-suite is a bit of an odd design. The partition walls are made entirely of glass with an obscure glazed panel in the centre with clear glass above and below. Basically there was little room for modesty, just as well I was with my girl fiend, so it wasn't too much of an issue. I hope this wouldn't put anyone off, just be prepared. As I said in the title I love this place and definitely one day will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Loved this place, quirky, modern and just really cool! its possibly the coolest hotel i have stayed at! perfect location in chester, we got a bargain at this hotel just after christmas! please please do this offer again otherwise you are well out of our price range and we so want to return! :) it was lovely the room the food the decor everything about it ticked our box, if we lived closer I would happily get married here too!

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

What can we possibly say to sum up how amazing our wedding day was at oddfellows! Obviously that's, at least in part, because we like each other, but a big part of it was attributable to the fantastic staff... They were so accommodating of us being late with pretty much every aspect of the day! It ran seamlessly and everyone commented on what an amazing venue it was and how relaxed it was. Special thanks to Emma, Mo and Sam. Brilliant. Honestly. If you're considering getting married here just do it! You won't regret it I promise! Xx

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Kabz2002
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We had 4 nights in this hotel for a January break and enjoyed every minute.
The hotel was filled with lovely different things everywhere you looked. I've never stayed anywhere like it.
We stayed in The Newbrook room which was great with the round bed and really spacious. (A word of warning though. The mini bar isn't cheap)
There's a great outdoor area which was being used whilst we were there even though the weather wasn't that great as they had heaters and canopies.
I can't comment on the food there as we didn't eat in the hotel but I must say it is in a very central position and plenty of restaurants near by.
Everywhere was so clean and the staff really friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to go back here and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: The round bed was really spacious
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here a night for our anniversary, and overall I have to say the place itself was stunning, quirky and with a lovely atmosphere. We did however have a lot of ups and downs.

We arrived at 3pm when we were due to be checked in, but ended up waiting 25 minutes in the lounge area, although this wasn't really a big deal.
When we were taken to our room, we were given our keys and left without any explanation as to why we were given a totally different room to what we had paid for other than "the room you booked is currently out of order." Had we been notified of this beforehand, it would have been much better, but we weren't. Because of this I checked the website and realised that, very discreetly, it did mention a room that sounded like the one we were given, but there were no photos and it was nevertheless a little disappointing and completely different compared to what we had been shown on the website. Another little fault was that the mini-fridge was not plugged in and still didn't work when we plugged it in, but this didn't really affect the stay.
Positives - The room was still nice and cozy, the bed was enormous and the bathroom was very nice with a bath tub which the other room did not offer - so we stayed positive about that.

We were very pleased with the lounge area and the atmosphere of this and the garden was fantastic when lit up at night time. The cocktails we tried were incredible and the bar staff were very friendly. We were also very happy with the comfort of the bed and the fact that we were brought free breakfast in the morning and this reconciled the previous issues for us and made the overall stay that night pretty much perfect.

Unfortunately the following morning was another problem we encountered, as there was some confusion with the payment for our room and we ended up being charged twice. This, I think, is due to the fact that the website for Oddfellows does not seem very well connected with the hotel itself, so we did not complain to the staff there and they quickly refunded us the second payment with no problems.

I think that our main issue with the stay was that we were not notified of our room change and it seemed like we had been downgraded rather than upgraded which seemed a bit unfair. If we had paid full price (thankfully it was January sale price), the room we were given would have not been satisfactory for the price and we would not have been happy. We are not sure that the hotel lives up to the way it is described or shown on the website, but it was definitely an overall decent stay, just could have been much better. For a 5 star hotel you would expect a refund of some sort, but we were offered no more than a quick apology.

2 Thank Laura J