“Overrated and over priced”
Review of Oddfellows

Oddfellows
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Chester
UK
“Overrated and over priced”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Without doubt the location of this hotel is first rate, and we found the staff to be helpful and friendly. However, it's decor and design are an aquired taste. I have to say it felt quite cheap and tacky rather than 'quirky' but that is personal taste. We stayed in the modern block of rooms at the rear of the hotel which we found to be dark, cramped, badly designed and very, very noisy considering they overlook the two bars and a restaurant in the courtyard below. Considering it is owned by the Grosvenor group we had expected better. Chester is a beautiful city but you will find better and cheaper places to stay, eat and drink. It looks much more inviting on the website than in reality and as such we would not return.

Room Tip: Try elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ferdinand48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Great place to stay, in the middle and close to everything. Some lovely food places I would recommend the Italian across the road but book in advance. When in arrival felt like me and my partner weren't as welcomed as we thought we would have been, felt like we should know where to go and what to do I had to ask all the questions rather than been told. Follow me here is your room etc etc. but overall a very nice stay.
Not too happy that the roof blinds couldn't be opened and when asked they said the remote was lost but I could open manually not what you expect when your paying top money for the room.

Room Tip: We had the banquet suite the top one very nice split over 2 floors with a large bath
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband booked Oddfellows for our 1st anniversary, and I have to say he done me proud. The hotel is amazing, in all honestly this is probably the best I've ever stayed in. The rooms are massive, decor is quirky and the service is 5*. My only bug bear would be the breakfast, but that's because I'm fussy.

Room Tip: Room 11 is fantastic
1 Thank Janerobbo17
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed in Chester many times for business, and I would never chose anywhere except Oddfellows. Quality luxury boutique hotel at a reasonable price, every room has the same effort and level of class, service is attentive, and location is awesome. Nice touches: the Roberts radios playing classical music upon entering your room, and the back garden drinking/smoking area, amazing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SaintGilesTW
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Arrived for a one night stay (forgot it was race night) staff were exceptional - special mention to the lovely receptionist who tried to sort out an problem for us that was nothing to do with the hotel and the barman who not only created cocktails but took the time to write down what he had done . Little touches that were so nice, and hotel is just lovely ...and so individual. This is the second time I have been here - the last time being my hen party meal which was equally beautifully serviced by staff whose sole aim was to make it perfect

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Booked one night in The Loft Room, sorry did not book more nights, what a fabulous hotel.

The reception area is beautiful with really attentive staff, the room that we had booked was absolutely beautiful, we had the double baths in our room, if you get chance book one of the Loft rooms you will not be disappointed.

When we finally left our room which was hard to do as it was so comfy and cosy I cud have just stayed there for the whole visit we ventured down into the cocktail bar and the secret garden, what a choice of cocktails, too many to choose from so had to try quite a few! The garden is fabulous and even has canopies coming over when it starts raining, there is heaters all over and the staff are constantly checking you are ok but not in a pushy manner.

Nothing was too much trouble for anyone of the staff in the hotel and I can't wait to visit again, we are going to sample the food next time which we didn't do this time as we had table booked elsewhere.

HURRY UP MY NEXT VISIT.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at Oddfellows for one night while in Chester recently, but were sorry we couldn't stay longer. This is one of the most beautifully designed hotels I have ever seen. So much attention has been paid to every detail. Our room was absolutely lovely and so was the restaurant, but my favourite space was the delightful cocktail bar. As well as there being an impressive range of cocktails on offer, it was also just such a pretty room. I would definitely recommend staying at this lovely hotel.

1 Thank TravelLover50