“Nice but not amaze” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Nice but not amaze”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I thought this hotel was beautiful and it was in a great location. The staff were welcoming and helpful. The bar was lovely and the cocktails fab and even on a Sunday evening it was busy and had a great atmosphere.

The room was nice but not as swank as the price suggests. We had the bedroom with a round bed which I found really uncomfortable and dipped in the middle.

We asked for breakfast at 8am it came at 8:40am. We had to call and chase and they said it was late as they were baking the croissants. I wouldn't have minded but they weren't even that good when they came.

Room Tip: Don't get a room with a round bed
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarah f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Only there for one night, Wedding Anniversary, but what a little gem of a Boutique Hotel.
Very easy to find, 2 minutes walk from the car park (reduced rates) and approx. 5 minutes walk to the middle of the Grosvenor Shopping Centre.
We were fortunate to book the Douglas Suite, which has the bed and stand alone bath on a mezzanine floor above the lounge area. Very Quirky but top quality fitments, all go to make a memorable stay.
We were offered a very good rate which for Chester was excellent value.
Try calling the hotel directly and discuss a rate with them as opposed to Laterooms or Booking.com, they were very helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Ian C
Oswestry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Now, I had very high expectations for this hotel, reading the reviews on here and hearing talk around Chester...but when I actually experienced it first hand, I was a little bit let down. Now, don't get me wrong, the decor is amazing and quirky! But, the service could be a hell of a lot better. When I walked in, I got stares from the lady behind the counter, as if I had walked in on stilts! She sat me down and talked to me about how im going to pay for it. There was no issue with the pay, and I had the money, but she definitely looked at me like I did have an issue with it. Then she showed us to our room, and didnt speak to us the whole way there, no formalities, just dropped off in our room and left to it. We got to our room, which was beautiful! Big round bed, gorgeously comfortable and dont even get me started on how lovely the shower is! As usual, there is always criticism, the shower and toilet weren't exactly cleaned to perfection. Which, for the price of the room, I would have expected. The TV remote didn't work perfectly, and we did struggle with it a lot. So there is definitely room for improvement. My nights sleep was lovely, especially on that heavenly bed! But, there is a lot of noise coming from the hall ways and downstairs, so don't expect silence, but obviously thats not the hotels fault, just a heads up! I can't wait to experience the dining at Oddfellows! I am very excited. I did get a lovely 'light' breakfast, which I paid extra for! I wouldnt advise it, personally, there's a tescos across the road, you can get all of the stuff included for a lot less money!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Kayleigh R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here at the start of July for two nights to celebrate a 40th birthday.

I must admit that I was a bit hesitant when booking as there were much cheaper hotels around, however bit the bullet and booked as we wanted to stay in the same hotel as our friends, this was absolutely the best decision I made! From the hotel's website we easily found the local car park and then made our way to the hotel a short walk away. Check in was simple and friendly, the receptionist enquired why we were visiting and then worked out that we were part of a group that had checked in earlier. We stayed in one of the Caldecotte rooms and found it well appointed with a comfy bed that you just don't ever want to get out of.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, we were able to head straight from the hotel out to explore the delights of Chester, I wish we had more time there.

The highlight of the hotel for me is the cocktail bar. The menu is so varied that I could have spent days sampling them all. Even if the cocktail was not on the menu the mixologist was more than happy to make it for you.

We did not try the restaurant so cannot comment on the food, however as others have said I do feel a bit let down by the breakfast; a croissant, yoghurt, apple and fruit juice just doesn't feel like it lived up to the rest of the hotel.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Small but really nice hotel. There are only 4 rooms above the restaurant and event space in essentially the attic of this building. Our room was a little cramped with the low ceilings and the shower and sink drained really slowly. All that considered we really enjoyed our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the decor of the room was great. We enjoyed the in room espresso machine and the free breakfast was an added surprise.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night last week, the hotel is beautiful very chic and boutique and in a great location. Rooms very nice and bathroom too, service fantastic too. What lets it down is the breakfast, no jam or butter with the croissant?! No pastries either.., i feel for the price you pay a cooked breakfast should be included and if not improve the 'picnic' breakfast

Stayed August 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed one night here for our anniversary. We were delighted at how unique the hotel was - both in terms of the decor and the individuality of our room. We had a smallish room but everything we needed for a romantic stay. We choose to eat out for our meal, and took the "picnic" breakfast option (included in the price) which was delivered in a brown bag at the time we'd ordered in the morning. It consisted of fresh croissants, 2 delicious yoghurts, 2 apples and a bottle of fresh orange juice each. The quality of the food was very good. The service was also very good with everyone friendly and helpful. We would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a hotel that doesn't look and feel like every other hotel you've stayed in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple