“Great pub with good food, must visit to appreciate it!!”
Review of Bear and Billet

Bear and Billet
Ranked #59 of 570 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Bear & Billet is a terrific 3 storie pub located inside the walled city of Chester which was owned by the Earl of Shrewsbury & built in 1664. The Bear & Billet offers a great friendly place to enjoy food and drink. We have a wide selection of cask ales and well as draught and bottled beers from around the world. We have a full homecoo0ked food menu available everyday day with Sunday lunch available every Sunday from 12pm-7pm. Not only that we have function rooms available for hire as well as live sport shown throughout the year with 5 flat screen T. V's available on 3 floors.
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I recently took my team to the bear and billet for our Christmas meal, I had a large party and we had a great evening, I thought the food was good pub grub and very good value compared to other places I have visited over the years. The staff were very friendly although busy, however the level of service was good considering how busy they were. Myself and the team will be popping with family members for Sunday lunches. Looking forwards to my next visit!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

What has happened to this pub. We visit at least 3-5 times a year and today the pub had been rearranged so that the football could be watched then went upstairs only to find that room too had been taken over for football.

I realise the regulars need to be looked after, but what about the visitors to Chester ? Luckily we found a pub that served very good food. sorry I will not be visiting or recommending you to any of my work colleagues as I have before.

1  Thank CherApril
BearandBillet, Manager at Bear and Billet, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Really sorry you didn't enjoy your time at the bear and billet, we have a massive following for the fotball matches which we have been showing now for over 8 years now, we do promote the sport quite a bit as it is one of our biggest followings, as we do have screens on all 3 floors, we have 5 tables in the bar area next to our real log fire which do not have any t.v's by them which you can ring up to reserve at any time.

During the weekend there is a lot of sport on which we will show but during the week there is not so much especially lunch times during the week. We hope you give our pub another chance, we have all big sports games in our diary so you can ring up in advance to see if there is goning to be anything on if you prefer or we would be happy to reserve you a table away from screens

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I appreciate that during the year your establishment has built up a good reputation for food quality and I would always expect a slight dip during the Christmas mass catering season.
However, I was very disappointed with the quality and portions served up.
The previously mentioned home made Christmas pudding was vile. Lemon sorbet consisted of two small rock hard balls served up in a tumbler glass.Very small cheese and biscuits were a joke and a rather sad, droopy nasty tasting pear completed a very poor end to our Christmas dinner.
Can't fault the atmosphere, service or good choice of real ales but I would seriously suggest you should re think the Christmas offerings ready for next year and ditch the person who bakes the Christmas pudding.

3  Thank JayHawks666
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I can only echo the comments of previous reviewers regarding the poor food here. The service was very good but our food was awful. Perhaps we just picked the time when it was overly busy - I had lamb shank which should fall off the bone - but I couldn't get my knife into it. The starter portions were indeed tiny - again perhaps because of the bad timing but our annual foray is important to us and I certainly wouldn't go back for a Christmas Lunch. Fine tuning it certainly needs...

4  Thank RockyWrexham
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Went to bear and billet Friday as part of Christmas party and what a let down it was.the smallest portions I have seen for some dishes. £5 extra for tuff lamb or duck and the Christmas pudding I am still gagging from it. I know people have put good reports on here but they do not give a true report from what we had. I did email them but to date no reply so they clearly don't care either. Just want the money

3  Thank Steve B
BearandBillet, Manager at Bear and Billet, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, it's a rather busy time in trade and this is first chance I have had to respond to you, i have also responded to your email you send to us on sunday evening again. I was working for your party on that Friday, & not once was I asked to come up and see yourself or any of your party as you were that unhappy.

I agree the cheese and biscuit portion were poor I have had a word with my chef and he has increased the size to a suitable amount. The party organiser was offered large cheese platters for the whole party along with teas and coffee's, these were declined. There were no comments made aware to staff about the quality of the lamb or the duck, if their had of been on evening we would happily changed it for you or possibly offered some kind of refund.

We have been getting mixed messages from your party as a whole, when paying the bill the party organise stated that it was very tasty but cheese and biscuits & scallop starter were a little on small side but nothing more. The complaints about the Xmas puds are the first we have had in the 3 years that we have been using this recipe, we have even had request for the Xmas pud from people who are eating off our main menu and had tried it previously and wanted it again.

We appreciate all feedback positive and negative, and are always happy to replace any meals that customer isn't satisfied with, as this was brought up at the time we cannot refund you for your meal. we hope that you will try our establishment again for food in the near future so we so the high standard of food we have to offer you.