“Worst roast ever!!”

Bear and Billet
Ranked #62 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Bear & Billet is a terrific 3 storie pub located inside the walled city of Chester which was owned by the Earl of Shrewsbury & built in 1664. The Bear & Billet offers a great friendly place to enjoy food and drink. We have a wide selection of cask ales and well as draught and bottled beers from around the world. We have a full homecoo0ked food menu available everyday day with Sunday lunch available every Sunday from 12pm-7pm. Not only that we have function rooms available for hire as well as live sport shown throughout the year with 5 flat screen T. V's available on 3 floors.
“Worst roast ever!!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I thought we would go for Sunday lunch at the bear and billet. It had to be the worst toast I have ever had. Deep fried (roast potatoes) over cooked mushy veg and the roast beef tasted that bad my partner brought it back up when she got home. Avoid at all costs.

1 Thank Kevinfran

Sheffield
“Vibrant”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Friendly atmosphere and surroundings. We enjoyed nachos to share to start followed by pie of the day and risotto. Highly recommend the YPA. Yorkshire Pale Ale.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fanb old pub”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We ate here on Jan 22nd
There where seven of us.
The food was great, the service was unobtrusive, the ales where splendid.
The building itself was a wonderful thing in its own right.
Can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“decent service but food was poor!”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

After having some delicious pub grub a week before this in york I was looking forward to the bear and billet as it had decent reviews. I chose a special which was steak and ale pie and my girlfriend had a chicken dish. We both agreed that the vegetables were hard and tasteless and I couldn't taste any ale in my gravy, just onions. The serving also wasnt so generous, the pie was a small slice. I was very disappointed with the food and wouldn't eat here again. When eating out I expect the food to be better than I could cook in my own home.....I have cooked a much nicer steak and ale pie than this one.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Ian G
hamilton
“Nice Sunday roast lunch”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Had Sunday roast in this lovely old pub last Sunday. Spicy bean soup was lovely and had a nice kick and the roast beef and roast pork lunches were excellent although the portions were huge which is no criticism but a but of a waste as we just could not eat it all ! Very nice surroundings to have a very nice lunch which was served by very friendly staff would recommend a visit.