“"Just what a modern b&b should be like"”
Review of Kilmorey Lodge

Kilmorey Lodge
Ranked #34 of 78 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My hubbie and I have just stayed at Kilmorey Lodge for 2 nights this weekend and have to say it was just lovely. Gary the owner was the perfect host and was coping alone as his wife was away for the weekend! We turned up a bit early, no problem, we were shown to her room which was number 3. Spotlessly clean, warm and tastefully decorated, lovely bathroom and fab shower. Fantastic breakfast, quite possibly the hottest full English we have ever had, served by a very lovely waitress. Would recommend a walk to Hoole village, just down the road for a few handy little shops, pubs and food if you don't want to go into town. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kilmorey Lodge

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed at Kilmorey for 5 months following a recommendation from 2 work colleagues of mine. From start to finish, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Jo and Gary are both extremely warm and welcoming people.I literally felt at home right away. The rooms are lovely. Spotlessly clean with moderning furnishings- very tastefully decorated. Each room is en-suite and a telly (with sky) and kettle (bikkies daily) are provided. I honestly cannot recommend Kilmorey enough :)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Spent last night here with my husband and son. Had been slightly concerned by one or two reviews but, as ever, found that there was nothing to be concerned about. The room was good-sized, the bathroom large and the breakfast in the morning, cooked to order, was very good and served by a very friendly, helpful waitress. Only two points which may be improved on: the white towels could be washed at a higher temperature as they were on the grey side, but completely clean, and breakfast was served on cold plates, but I am fussy!! We would certainly stay here again. Particularly liked the feature wallpapers, which were really appropriate in a house of this era.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AilsaPerth_Scotland
kilmoreylodge, Owner at Kilmorey Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Many of the rooms have been renovated and redecorated recently, and we regularly have requests from our guests asking if we decorate the rooms ourselves and where we source our furniture and wall paper.
All the towels have been replaced.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Booked in to Kilmorey in February at the last minute as it seemed nice on Booking.com. They had a room with four poster bed and the description seemed great for us, my wife and I and a 3 month old baby.

When we turned up, the room was actually to the front of the house which fronted out onto a very busy road (please see photo). While the windows were double glazed, it was clearly still disturbing our baby. The decor of the room was really nice, I think recently renovated.

As a result we had to find another location that night to stay where it was quiet. What annoyed me here was that their description on Booking.com clearly said quiet and it was anything but. On mentioning it to the proprietors that it wasn't really what we had in mind as we couldn't settle the baby, we were promptly informed that we couldn't get our money back. We had booked a prepurchase rate on booking.com on the condition of the description which was clearly inaccurate (something we have a pending complaint against Kilmorey about). In this day and age, not making an effort to address our concerns on the premise that they had the money doesnt seem acceptable.

I wouldn't recommend Kilmorey as a result of our unfortunate experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PJF2008

We are disappointed that you feel this way about our property, as we have never received comments like this before.
We believe we tried to be as helpful as possible, showing your wife an alternative room which was on the next floor in the accommodation. Your wife stated she had booked the room quickly that morning and thought she had booked a hotel room which provided evening meals in a restaurant which would be suitable as they could take the baby.
We tried to be as sensitive as possible and assisted your wife when she was holding the baby trying to access the internet. We supported her when she was trying to source alternative accommodation which they felt would match their requirements, and she stated that she realised that due to the terms and conditions of Booking.com they would be unable to receive a refund.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Hostess a little on the frosty side but I had said I'd eat breakfast at 8 AM but my plans were changed & I arrived at 8.30 so possibly my fault??? But breakfast wasn't that busy anyway.
Stayed 2 nights & it was comfortable enough. Breakfast was cooked to order which is much to my liking & it was fresh & ample.
In this location (Hoole) there are several B & B's so if you have time check them out as well.

Room Tip: Before completing booking for Single Room ensure that you have your own bathroom, as one OR some sin...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Myself and my two friends booked here for a one night stay. When we arrived decorators were in and had dust sheets all up the stairs. The first comment we were greeted with was "were you told it was only continental breakfast". Well no! We weren't told. I had a call about a month before hand asking to confirm the room booking even though we had booked through Booking.com where we had free cancellation and could actually cancel up to two days before. The owners had gone to Australia and left their son in charge - they must have known when I spoke to them that they would have decorators in and there would be no cooked breakfast. Anyway, after a bit of haggling we did get a bit knocked off the price but in our eyes this didn't compensate. The accommodation is ok, not a big room for 3 people and up on the top floor in the eaves, certainly not worth £100 per night. The pictures make it look better than what it actually is. Its a shame really because I really like Chester and would like to return with my husband. And whilst the B&B is in a good location, because of all this I wouldn't return to Kilmorey Lodge which I probably would have done but there is so much more choice when there is just two of you. However, I due to the location I would stay in Hoole again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed here for one night 30th October. 2 adults and 2 children (8 and 3). We arrive late afternoon after visiting Chester Zoo. The Accomodation was ideally placed as within 10 mins drive from the zoo. We were let in and shown to our room. The room was very impressive on first view. beautifully decorated with 4poster and additional single bed. The owner advised us a further bed would be added when we returned later that evening (which it was). The room was very spacious with plenty of space for a 3 year old to play in. The whole decor and furnishings were of a very high standard and the ensuite was also presented to a high standard. Towels and complimentary toiletries were included as well as a well stocked tea-tray. Although the room faced onto the busy, main road we had no noise issues in the night. Breakfast next morning was well presented in another beautifully decorated room. The staff were very accommodating for my fussy children and food was well cooked and good quality with a good choice for all appetites. The only negatives (and these are hard to think of) was that the water pressure in the bathroom sink was disproportionate to the water pressure of the shower but nothing that caused any issue. Parking directly outside the (on their drive) was limited but we had no concerns parking our vehicle on the very wide main road. I would definitely recommend and would stay here again with my family.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family