“Do I live in a ’dream world’?”
Review of Kilmorey Lodge

Kilmorey Lodge
Ranked #34 of 78 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The low score of this review is based on the quality of the breakfast and the attitude of the owner. We have no complaints about the bedroom, which was comfortable, and the shower room, which was very nice.

Kilmorey Lodge serves breakfast between 8.30 and 9.30. In our experience, other B&Bs ask what time you would like breakfast so they can avoid everyone coming at once. Here they don’t so we waited 30 minutes on both mornings for our cooked breakfasts. The first morning there was a hair in my mushrooms - they apologised and replaced the breakfast. The scrambled eggs were overcooked and dry and my husband didn’t get the sausages he ordered. The second morning my fried eggs were undercooked even though I specifically asked that the whites be solid. When my husband went to pay the first thing the owner mentioned was the ‘problem’ with my eggs. I hadn’t even complained - I just didn’t eat the least cooked one! My husband explained that I don’t like undercooked whites. We suggested getting guests to say what time they want breakfast to avoid anyone having a 30 minute wait. The owner said that they had been running this B&B for 4 years, knew what they were doing and that my problem was that I live in a ‘dream world’.
If living in a ‘dream world’ means that for £75 per night I expect a properly cooked, hair free breakfast served in a reasonable time then yes I do!!!

Room Tip: Room 3 was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
kilmoreylodge, Owner at Kilmorey Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

We are disappointed that you appeared to have left our Lodge with a negative experience. We pride ourselves on providing all our guests with a happy and enjoyable stay, however you were dissatisfied with reference to a number of points. Firstly with reference to breakfast times, it is correct that after talking to many of our guests since we have owned the business, the vast majority of guests prefer to be given an open window to decide what time they want to dine, therefore we have adhered to this. We must point out that you did ask if we would accommodate your son at breakfast time if you were prepared to eat at 8 am before the dining room accommodates other guests (even though he wasn't staying here as one of our guests) this you declined as you said it was too early. If you had to wait a little longer than normal for you breakfast to be served we apologise, however all the breakfasts are cooked to order and are therefore fresh. We did offer our sincere apologies at the time with reference to the hair found in your mushrooms and hoped you would accept the apology and the freshly prepared breakfast we provided. The waitress explained that you were unhappy with the way your eggs were cooked, that is why we raised it on departure, it is unfortunate that this also spoiled your stay. We appreciate all constructive feedback from our guests, although we would have to defend ourselves on this occasion and hope you appreciate that we have enough experience to manage our guest's breakfast times to please the majority of people.

There are newer reviews for Kilmorey Lodge

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

When we arrived we were meet and greet which we was glad to see on our first time staying in Chester

there are 3 flight of stairs to go up wide stairs till we have to go up to the attic where we have to bend our necks to the sides as it was in an angle room 7 we stayed in triple room family of 3. Soon we walked in it was so so hot in the rooms the windows wasn't open and we asked for a fan but there wasn’t one! The double bed was made but the single bed wasn't they were still waiting for laundry delivery at 4pm! When we came back from a walk it was made up but like they couldn't be bothered one side of the sheet was tucked the other wasn't and bonus the duvet cover was inside out! Anyway the views was either the main road or the back of the houses I find it noisy transport passing and people screaming when last orders over the road, we had problems connecting to the WI-FI so they got Wi-Fi code from next door B&B it works on and off so u better off going over the pub connect to the Wi-Fi there. Bathroom was lovely expt the bath and sink takes about 10 min to empty so I take the plug off and it was blocked with other people hairs and uuurrrghhh it was disgusting, the fan was noisy too and it wasn't cleaned. Next day for breakfast was ok you help yourself to cereal, juice, fruit, yogurt, tea or coffee, the waitress comes ask what u like for breakfast and we all said full english, but it wasn't according to the board we had everything expt hash brown and fried bread! She didn't even asked how we like our eggs as it said, boiled, fried, poached or scrambled. So I marked it 4/10 we went to Chester Zoo and City Centre when we came back the double bed was made beautiful expt the single it still inside out the room wasn't hovered, the tea and coffee condiments wasn't refilled! No clean towels either. Over all our rate we say is 3/10 the staff we fab but who ever is the cleaner needs major improvement more training.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
kilmoreylodge, Owner at Kilmorey Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We welcome feedback from our guests and attempt to respond to all feedback accordingly. Kilmorey Lodge has 2 flights of stairs, leading to 2 bedrooms, 1 single and 1 family room, neither rooms are in 'the attic, it is a traditional Victorian building. It was an unusually hot period, and the Lodge does not have air conditioning as it is a Guest House. All our fans were already allocated to some of our other guests, unfortunately we do not have fans for every room. As we understand you explained that you owned a hotel yourselves, therefore we hoped you would have understood that we rely upon our laundry service to deliver our linen on time. As you may be aware occasionally machinery malfunctions and the delivery was late, therefore the single bed in your bedroom was unable to be made until we were in receipt of the laundry. I made the single bed myself, and as an ex Nurse pride myself on making beds effectively, however are sorry if it did not meet your needs. Kilmorey Lodge is located on the main Street which houses many of Chester's Hotels and Guest Houses, therefore there is traffic passing the Lodge, however when the double glazed windows are closed t e traffic noise is unnoticeable. Wi Fi is occasionally difficult to access on the top floor, therefore we have brought Broadband Extender kits to address this issue. We have very positive reviews with regards to our cleanliness and housekeeping therefore we re surprised that you found issues with this, Our waitress is excellent and always ensures our guests are given an opportunity to request the breakfast of their choice, as they are all cooked fresh to order. To conclude we always ask our guests if everything was alright with their stay on departure and would have hoped as hoteliers you would have raised your concerns then rather than through a Social Media site.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Kilmorey Lodge. The bedroom (3) and en suite were spotlessly clean and very nicely decorated. Our room was at the side and very quiet. The breakfast was delicious with a wide range of continental and full English. A family-run B&B - the family were very friendly and helpful. Perfect for a stay in Chester and easy to get out of town to visit the surrounding area. And the nearby Faulkner is a fantastic pub/restaurant within walking distance. All in all, a great stay!

Room Tip: Room 3 was quiet with a lovely en-suite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I frequently visit Chester and have stayed in quite a few Hotels and B&Bs there, but I reckon that this will be my first choice from now on. The owners were very friendly and keen to ensure that I was comfortably settled in. Quite unprompted Jo even offered me a choice of rooms in case I might be disturbed by a pre-races party (I wasn't, but the sincerity of the gesture was very much appreciated).

My room was compact but very reasonably priced and the breakfast was spot on. Plenty of choice and generous servings, which set me up perfectly for my journey to Ludlow. If you want somewhere in reasonable walking distance of the city centre and close to the station, where you will be treated as an honoured guest, Kilmorey Lodge will not disappoint you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having stayed in all sizes and types of Hotels & B&B's throughout the UK (and Europe) a single night business / pleasure late booking resulted in a stay at Kilmorey Lodge for which we couldn't recommend highly enough

as we were going to be late arriving due to a late business appointment, the owner couldnt do enough to help us by leaving our key in a secure place

the room was lovely, clean and modern as well as the en-suite with power shower and more than enough in the way of tea/coffee making facilities / refreshments

breakfast was excellent and again the family members we met were both professional and friendly

the only negative.. bin the wind chimes guys (especially on windy nights!).. we're light sleepers!!

apart from that...thank you for a great experience - highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

One of the best B&B i've ever seen, if you happen to chester in a nobrainer, the room was very nice, clean. The eviroment was cozy and it made me feel home. The water in the shower was actually hot (other times i had freezing showers)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Filippo D
kilmoreylodge, Owner at Kilmorey Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your positive comments, our guests feedback is extremely important to us and we are delighted that you consider this one of the best Guest Houses you have stayed in. Hopefully you will stay with us again one day if you are visiting Chester.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

After spending the day at Chester Zoo, we arrived at Kilmorey Lodge. We were shown up to our room (7) by the welcoming hostess, and were delighted when we saw it. As we were a family of 3, we had the triple room in the eves. The room felt light and spacious, and the bathroom was clean and had a lovely deep bath, which I took full advantage of! There was plenty of tea, coffee and milk, plus biscuits and a large glass bottle of water.
The bed was slightly too soft for our liking, so we didn't sleep as well as we usually would, however that's just a personal preference.
Breakfast was good: very efficient and we were asked if there was anything more we wanted. We were brought extra orange juice which we requested. The breakfast was good quality and not at all greasy.
One thing that I was particularly impressed with was the quality of the information included in the folder in the bedroom; it was extremely informative and well-researched.
We would happily recommend and stay here again. We walked into Chester and back and found it only took us around 15 mins with a 6 year old in tow, so it is excellent value considering it's proximity to the city centre.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family