Strathearn Guest House
US$130
US$98
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 October 2012

First of all, never trust the Internet. When I was looking for somewhere to stay in Chester and put in my required dates, it told me that Strathearn didn't have any vacancies. In desperation, I phoned on the off chance, looking for a single room, and they did have one. Unfortunately, it was not en suite, but obviously this kept the cost down for me, and it had sole use of a separate toilet and shower. The proprietor very considerately lends you a dressing gown on request, and I am quite sure it was freshly laundered. That particular room is a little drab, but there is nothing wrong with it. I asked the proprietor to show me a double room as a matter of interest, and the one I saw was very nice. I liked the fact that on the guest house outside door there are signs welcoming cyclists and walkers. So much so that the guest house hires out bikes and will dry your clothes if you get soaked. The proprietor can also lend you leaflets of suggested walks. I didn't have a car and arrived by train. It's about a quarter of an hour's walk from the station. It took me about 25 minutes to walk into the town centre, but I could have taken a bus if I'd wanted to. The breakfast is fine, nothing fancy. Everything is clean and tidy. I found an excellent Indian restaurant about five minutes' walk away, off the rather nice Faulkner Street. The latter has a post office, pub and few shops, including a couple of small supermarkets. Returning to the guest house, I thought it was very good value and I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook a main road but with the window closed I didn't really notice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Great for hiring bikes. Owner was very helpful and friendly and picked out bikes for us. Helmets are included in the price. Bikes are of a very high quality and great to ride.

It costs £12 for the day and £8 for the half day (after 3pm). Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brit_travellerUK
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We booked the family room which had enough beds which were very firm the onsuite has no roof so open to the bedroom not the most pleasant thing with 2 15year old boys with you not very private.
The owner was a very nice chap but i could not understand why he wanted the breakfast order the night before as it was still late the next day.
Sorry would not stop again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
StrathearnChester, Manager at Strathearn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

I'm honestly surprised reading your review you kindly left for us.
Originally you booked in here for two nights. In the morning, after breakfast, all of a sudden you cancelled your second night letting me down and as a result I could not re-let the room.
You travelled further into Wales as the weather turned better. I'm a really flexible host, I understood the situation. And now.. I feel I met some people who are not really fair players.
I'm really sorry you didn't like the design of the room, but you didn't complain about it neither on arrival nor on departure in person, strange..
Just to explain why I'd like to know the night before what people are having for breakfast: it's a small business, a family home not a big chain hotel. I'm the only person who works in the morning cooking and serving guests, all at the same time. For a smoother service in the morning, I always cook everything fresh knowing the preferences of each guest, otherwise people should wait about 40 minutes to be served. I'm sure it's not something you'd like as you'd be immediately complaining about the slow service and would leave a review on TA.
Please be a bit nicer to other hosts wherever you stay in the future. Believe me, they all working hard to please you and never cancel your stay the same day.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

I've been meaning to write for a while to say how much we enjoyed our stay! As part of a large group of cyclists on an outing through the area, we chose this B&B for its location and for the great advice and general helpfulness of the landlord when booking.

We were not dissapointed by the service and full breakfast - some of the best we had on our journey. It was a relief to find a B&B owner who understood fully our requirements as cyclists (the owner was a keen cyclist) Care extended to our bikes as well as ourselves - so thank you to our hosts for all their work.

...finally, having read a previous post here in the comments section about noise and issues with bed sizes, may I say: I didn't hear a thing, other than traditional hourly chimes from a local building - the church. This is a historic part of the UK and therefore a very important part of an ancient town like Chester. Finally, (I'm still laughing about the comment) I can confirm that the double beds can indeed fit two people and the single beds can fit one person! :D They are standard doubles (i.e. they were not advertised to us as king size)

A great value stay, with a warm welcome and plenty of care from the owners.

Hal - Aylesbury, Bucks, UK

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank mouthisi
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I spent one week in the B&B.The breakfasts were excellent.The room was comfortable and clean.
The owner hire bicycles as well.I hired a bicycle every day i spent in Chester.The Owner of the B&B gave me a lot of information about bicycle tours in and around Chester.
The stay in Strathearn B&B made my holiday in Chester perfect.
I can highly recommend the Strathearn B&B.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
StrathearnChester, Manager at Strathearn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Dear Zender_444,
Thanks for choosing Strathearn B&B to stay at during your holiday. I'm really glad you hired a bicycle here. This is the only place in Chester where you can hire bikes. The business of Chester Cycle Hire operates under the same address as Strathearn B&B and there is a special offer for guests staying at the B&B.
Hope to see you again.