“Racing & relaxation break”

Strathearn Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chester
Strathearn Guest House
Ranked #61 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Racing & relaxation break”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Have just stayed at the Strathearn for 3 days, having previously stayed there a few years ago. The owner was friendly & welcoming, as on our previous visit. We spoke to his wife on a couple of occasions when there were a few minor issues #tv stopped working# and she was friendly & told us her husband was out but that she would let him know on his return. We went out & tv had been fixed when we returned, so no complaints there. The overall impression of the B&B was clean & welcoming. HOWEVER, we felt that the standards in the rooms themselves had deteriorated somewhat since we last stayed. The en-suite with the strange walls have already been mentioned in other reviews. There were small patches of mould in both of the rooms, paint peeling on the radiators, the 'folding' bathroom door was broken & the curtain rails were in need of attention. We opted not to have breakfast as the fixed 8.00 serving time was too early for us. To be fair, the owner had said that we could opt out of the breakfast & was fine about us choosing to do this and discounted us for opting out. We were a bit surprised that the owner didn't come out to see us off & take the keys back. We wouldn't want to be too negative as the friendly service was the reason we had gone back to the Strathearn & this still applied. However, some 'sprucing up' is definitely required to regain it's previous standards.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Merseyside
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Went to Chester with three friends for our annual Christmas treat. The owner was very friendly but his wife was rude and obnoxious when we asked for help with the television.

The rooms were clean and spacious but on suite was a little odd (wall did not reach the ceiling)!

The breakfast was very nice but sorry, would not stay here again. Your wife let you down.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at the Strathearn in late August, and having lived in Chester during University we did not know what to expect being the first time without accommodation of our own.

On arrival we were greeted by a jolly and enthusiastic fellow who had a very soothing voice as he spoke. We felt welcome and instantly calmed from our stressful day of travel.

Our room was well equipped with beautiful floral decor (perfect for our feminine desires) and an en suite bathroom. The only downfall was that the walls of the en suite bizarrely did not successfully adjoin to the ceiling and in one circumstance (being very private and prim young ladies) two of us had to leave the room in order to avoid unanimous distress.

Unfortunately there is an archaic church bell that rings in the morning - a beautiful sound for some however not when each clang resonates through you like 5000 volts. However being Christians, we were able to appreciate the obvious talent of the bell ringers.

The only other constructive comment would be that the latest breakfast time is 8.30am. For those who are not particularly partial to the 'early bird syndrome' this time would be more suitable for a midnight feast! The option of a full english however was most welcomed by one of our party who was the 'whippersnapper' of the group. She remarked that the sausages were sufficiently browned and was perfectly content with her wholesome meal.

In short, we would highly recommend the Strathearn, we learnt of not just a pleasant B&B in our beloved Chester, but also some superb hospitality and culture which was nostalgic for us as ex students and allowed us to enjoy the weekend through rose tinted spectacles. We'll definitely be back for our next reunion - if you'll have us! :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ellie J
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This is a lovely B&B a family home, but had enough privacy, very clean, well equipped room, comfortable bed, superb location, delicious breakfast. Value for money! Wish I could have stayed longer.

The owner I apologise I've forgotten his name but he couldn't do enough for me. His politeness and charm was not immediately aparent, but it was just a bit different to the classic sometimes brash British reception and quieter but so sincere.

If you get to read this I made it all the way to Lands End. One of the highlights of my holiday was staying here.

You run a first class B&B and hope you continue giving people such a tremendous place to stay for a very long time.

Thank you so much!

Room Tip: Cycle friendly
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Matt5ta
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We have just stayed at the Strathearn . Like Michael we had the large family room,beds and bedding very tired,need replacing. Did not like the fact the mattress was plastic coated,very thin and hard. The en suite was very unsuitable no roof and a plastic folding door. No info in the room to say what breakfast options we had or what time we had to be out, most B & B offer a later breakfast at the weekend but it was finish at 8.30 on a Saturday. The owners are very pleasant,but do need to up their game in Chester as there is a lot better at the same price.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any better rooms in the Strathearn which is a shame
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 880sue
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

First of all, never trust the Internet. When I was looking for somewhere to stay in Chester and put in my required dates, it told me that Strathearn didn't have any vacancies. In desperation, I phoned on the off chance, looking for a single room, and they did have one. Unfortunately, it was not en suite, but obviously this kept the cost down for me, and it had sole use of a separate toilet and shower. The proprietor very considerately lends you a dressing gown on request, and I am quite sure it was freshly laundered. That particular room is a little drab, but there is nothing wrong with it. I asked the proprietor to show me a double room as a matter of interest, and the one I saw was very nice. I liked the fact that on the guest house outside door there are signs welcoming cyclists and walkers. So much so that the guest house hires out bikes and will dry your clothes if you get soaked. The proprietor can also lend you leaflets of suggested walks. I didn't have a car and arrived by train. It's about a quarter of an hour's walk from the station. It took me about 25 minutes to walk into the town centre, but I could have taken a bus if I'd wanted to. The breakfast is fine, nothing fancy. Everything is clean and tidy. I found an excellent Indian restaurant about five minutes' walk away, off the rather nice Faulkner Street. The latter has a post office, pub and few shops, including a couple of small supermarkets. Returning to the guest house, I thought it was very good value and I would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Front rooms overlook a main road but with the window closed I didn't really notice.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Great for hiring bikes. Owner was very helpful and friendly and picked out bikes for us. Helmets are included in the price. Bikes are of a very high quality and great to ride.

It costs £12 for the day and £8 for the half day (after 3pm). Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple