“a warm welcome”

Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Workington, United Kingdom
“a warm welcome”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I stayed at Shenley Lodge for one night on a b and b basis , on sat 30th August . The guest house is lovely , very quiet and welcoming . The breakfast was superb , with plenty to eat and beautifully cooked . Angela the owner made us very welcome .... so much so that we WILL definitely be back in the not too distant future , all in all very good value .

Room Tip: room 5 was very very quiet .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
South East London
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Arrived just before noon on Saturday for a one night stay. Its an easy walk from the train station with a cabin sized suitcase. Warm welcome and offer of refreshments received from Angela who issued me with my keys for the front door and room 4 (top floor twin at back of house, up 2 flights of stairs).

It was a bright spacious room with a VERY comfy bed, small wardrobe and a good-sized dresser with mirrors. The room was furnished with kettle, tea/coffee as well as a small tv and dvd player. Hair-dryer and iron are available on request

The shower room is compact. Hot water took a while to get going but was hot when it finally arrived though the water pressure to the third floor was poor. There was hand-wash at the basin and combined body/hair-wash in the shower.

Breakfast was generous and served in a sunny room overlooking the owner's garden.

Overall this is a good B&B - proximity to the city centre but in a quiet location, friendly and attentive service, reasonable fees and free Wi-Fi available. The bedroom / bathroom decor is looking a little tired but met my needs for a short stop. The real 'downer' for me was the shower pressure to rinse my hair though I'd happily stay again if I needed a bed in Chester.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This place is lovely! So peaceful and the owners so friendly and helpful. It's great value for money and not too far from Chester town centre. Clean and comfortable and I would certainly stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Glossop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for one night while we visited the zoo. We were made very welcome with a a lovely coffee on arrival from Angela. The room was very nice, spacious and clean and the breakfast was excellant. Would highly recommend this hotel and hope to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I did alot of research into B&B's in Chester as we were planning a short breakaway with our 10 month old daughter, as soon as we saw the reviews for Shenley Lodge we knew it was the place for us. Upon arrival we were incredibly warmly greeted by Angela who showed us to our room and put up a travel cot for our daughter. Our room was absolutely huge and had everything we could possibly need. I needed some scissors and Kev saw that we got what we needed right away and also gave us a few tips on where to eat in Chester and where to park. We went out for a meal in the evening and when we returned our baby was sick all over our huge bed, Angela was fantastic and immediately came to change the bedding and also took our clothes and other personal belongings our daughter had been sick on and washed and dried them for us, She showed alot of concern for our daughter and really made us feel at ease. In the morning one of the first things Angela asked us (before asking about our breakfast order) was how our daughter was and did she need anything, she even offered us her own family meals to give to our daughter which was very much appreciated. Our breakfast order was taken and our food arrived quickly and was absolutely delicious, Every time Angela entered the dining room she spoke to our daughter and even got her a special 7 dwarfs toast rack to look at which our daughter absolutely loved. As we were leaving we bumped into Kev who also took great concern over our daughter and was keen to make sure she was feeling better which was lovely. Angela and Kev are the nicest kindest people in the world and absolutely nothing is too much trouble, We would most definitely go back in a heartbeat and we sad to be leaving to come home. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and hope to go back in the not too distant future, next time hopefully for longer (if they have us and our sicky baby haha). Thank you for a wonderful stay :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Vikki G
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I do a lot of research before I choose a place to stay, for with my work I travel the country a great deal and I want and need a decent value for money place to put my head at night and wake up refreshed and a good hearty breakfast to face the day. Here is one of those quite rare places that ticks all the boxes, just come and stay and sample the hospitality and all that goes with it. I enjoyed every minute and would not hesitate to bring my wife and stay when we visit Chester in the future. Excellent well done Angela. A bit of research does work ! !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank blackpool065
St. Helens, Lancs
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for 1 night only over the weekend to visit Chester.
We walked into town and it took about 15 mins at a leisurely pace and we got a taxi back which only took a couple of minutes.
The rooms were very clean and equipped with everything we needed and even somethings we didn't need and the bed was dead comfy!
Breakfast was very nice and plentiful and obviously freshly with high quality ingredients.
Lastly a big thanks to the owners who were very friendly and helpful with anything we needed to know.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple