“Shame about the hour wait!”
Review of Olive Tree - CLOSED

Olive Tree
Price range: US$59 - US$99
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree may be in Chester, nestled in the sumptuous womb of the Green Bough Hotel, a luxury Victorian townhouse hotel, but for all the world it can feel like you've been transported to Tuscany. Rich Italian wallpaper and beautiful Italianate oil paintings grace the walls. Happily, you can take your time absorbing the space - a table is yours once seated. Savoy-trained chef/patron Philip Martin brings together an eclectic mix of aromas and flavours in an extensive, weekly-changing menu of innovative dishes epitomised by assiette of seafood - a delightful offering of red mullet, brill and king scallops; and Mediterranean vegetables with goats' cheese and parmesan crust. On cold evenings, it's nice to sit nibbling canap��s by the smouldering 17th century lounge fireplace. Attentive service.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Shame about the hour wait!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We always like to try somewhere different, so we decided to try this place for my Birthday meal out the other evening. My hubby ordered a bottle of Prosecco on arrival which we enjoyed in the lounge with comfy sofas. We ordered our meals and all was well...until we found ourselves waiting for just over an hour to be taken through to the dining room to our table!! An hour!! We were both so hungry that we could have pushed a blind orphan out of the way to get food! I must stay the food nice but a very limited choice. There was only one hot starter, which was risotto. I enjoy it, but hubby did not like the potted shrimp at all. The rest of the food was fine. Nice atmosphere and friendly staff. A 3 course meal with a bottle of wine and the drink on arrival came to £120 for two people. Shame about the hour wait!

• Visited October 2013

Colton, United Kingdom
“Excellant.”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Although the menu appears somewhat limited, there are choices to suit most options with meat, fish and vegetarian options.However if all the dishes are as perfect as the beef pie you will not be disappointed.

Visited September 2013
mid wales
“Less salt, more sauce...”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Nice atmosphere, friendly service, food on the whole tasty and well presented. Unfortunately my lamb was way too salty, to the point where I could not finish it, and my partner's pork loin was dry as a bone and needed some sort of sauce with it.
We ordered a half bottle of wine each which brought the bill up to around £45 each which is around average ..

Visited September 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Visited with family when staying at Dene Hotel next door for grandson's 2nd birthday treat and visit to Chester Zoo. Great fast friendly service and food excellent. No more need be said. Thank you.

• Visited September 2013
Manchester
“Delightful in every sense of the word”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My b/f and I were staying at the hotel and dinner from the Prestige menu as included as part of our package. We took our seats in the lounge just across from the dining room and had an aperitif whilst we decided what we wanted to order. Our orders were taken in the lounge meaning that when we went through to the dining room we could simply sit back and enjoy.
For starters we chose the pork belly and salmon and for mains we both opted for the duck. Both starters were excellent and perfect portion sizes but the mains really were delicious. The dish was served with potatoes and mushrooms and was cooked slightly pink. I don’t often eat duck because I find it a bit hit and miss and rather difficult to cook well but I must commend the chef in this instance as it was possibly the nicest duck course I’ve had in a very long time. We chose a pinot noir to accompany our mains, which was perfectly suited. The wine list was big enough to be all encompassing but not so big as to be threatening.
There was a pleasant buzz about the place and a good mix of hotel guests and those who had come in just to dine. After we had eaten (far too full for dessert as usual), we had more drinks in the lounge and chatted to some of the other guests. The bar normally closes around 11 but since there were a number of us still drinking at this point, the bar remained open.
The service throughout the evening was befitting of such a well-run establishment but I must give particular praise to David for being the most congenial person we encountered. His passion for his work as GM and attention to detail was incredible. He also has an encyclopaedic knowledge of rum and snakes, and just generally made our evening even more enjoyable.
Having eaten in a number of places in Chester, I can whole-heartedly state that this is the best I’ve come across and I look forward to visiting again.

Visited June 2013