“High Price Low Quality”

Price range: US$59 - US$99
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Olive Tree may be in Chester, nestled in the sumptuous womb of the Green Bough Hotel, a luxury Victorian townhouse hotel, but for all the world it can feel like you've been transported to Tuscany. Rich Italian wallpaper and beautiful Italianate oil paintings grace the walls. Happily, you can take your time absorbing the space - a table is yours once seated. Savoy-trained chef/patron Philip Martin brings together an eclectic mix of aromas and flavours in an extensive, weekly-changing menu of innovative dishes epitomised by assiette of seafood - a delightful offering of red mullet, brill and king scallops; and Mediterranean vegetables with goats' cheese and parmesan crust. On cold evenings, it's nice to sit nibbling canap��s by the smouldering 17th century lounge fireplace. Attentive service.
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Whoever was responsible for the food on the night we visited ( Saturday 24th July 2010 )does not know what good food is, and most definitely does not know how to cook it. ' Old Spot ' a selection of all things pork, this comprised of a small piece of pork fillet, a sausage roll, a sausage and a small piece of belly pork ( no vegetables ) very dry and boring. The veal was 3 small thin pieces deep fried in breadcrumbs with no sauces. The bill for the four of us without sweets £235.00.
The service was okay and the surroundings pleasant, but for me the food is the most important reason for eating out. I will not be back.
Chester has many restaurants and most are just average, this one is well below and also very expensive.

Would someone please open a restaurant in Chester and give us quality food in quantity at a reasonable price!

2  Thank chesterdiner1

Reviewed 15 March 2010

After booking way ahead of ourselves for my partners’ b'day, another couple and my girlfriend and I had been looking forward to dining at the Olive Tree for some time.....our long awaited meal couldn’t have been much worse.

First impressions and a drink in the bar were great. Nice surroundings, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, all you could ask for. We opted for the tasting menu as we all enjoy fine dining and the opportunity to try a selection of dishes.

The Amuse Bouche was a dish of cold pasta, being honest it was served straight from the fridge. It was OK, but only in the sense of OK for an alternative to sandwiches in your lunch box.....Had the rest of the meal been good, I would have accepted this as nothing other than my own taste.

2+hours later we were served our main courses (after a fish dish that simply didn’t work and an interlude of sorbet that took the form of ice cream!!). My friend and I opted for the John Dory for the main. The dish was awful. On top of the 40 minute wait for the dish after the interlude, the Spinach cream had dried out and had a skin formed on it, the fish was over cooked, nothing had been seasoned and the lobster had been cooked to an inedible rubber consistency. My friend told the waiter it was not a good course, to which he mutterd "I'll tell the chef"

At numerous points throughout the night, those amongst us drinking white wine had empty glasses and the wine was away from the table so we weren’t able to pour for ourselves. The waiter had dripped red wine all over the table cloth – a small point, normally I wouldn’t have mentioned it, but the whole experience was so bad it just added to the disappointment.

Another 40 minute wait later and the cheese board had not arrived (dessert and coffee and petit fours still to go). We'd asked the waiter 15 minutes previous and he said it was on its way. When it still hadn't arrived, we decided to leave and got up from the table and went to reception.

A young lady asked us how she could help. We told her we were unhappy with the meal and she went and got a waiter. As he came to reception a third waiter also arrived and we explained we were unhappy and wished to leave. When asked why, we told them the meal was sub standard and we had been waiting for far too long and had gone passed being hungry. The lady retorted "We do tell clients the Tasting menu lasts 2-2.5 hours overall" to which my friend explained we had been there 3 hours and the cheese course still had not arrived.

All three staff members went off somewhere and came back 2-3 minutes later, didn't look at us, and presented us with a receipt for £200. £80 for the wine and £120 for two of the four meals. I settled up and left.

All I can say is an apology, an offer to pay for the wine only and we might well have tried it again. This bad meal and poor show of customer service has resulted in the 4 of us telling anyone who has enquired as to how awful the meal was and how badly they dealt with our disappointment, which in turn has no doubt lost the Olive Tree future business.

All I can say is go to Simon Radley at the Grosvenor Hotel!!!

2  Thank Mackie1978
Reviewed 6 March 2010

The Proprietor of The Green Bough is a superb Chef and this is a reason for dining there even if you are a non resident.
Service is excellent and the offer of Jugs of Water was appreciated, not everyone wants bottled water!

Reviewed 27 April 2009

I must say every one has different opinions, but I find the last review is very harsh. I think the Olive Tree is a fantastic restaurant which serves high quality food in a very relaxed atmosphere. We had the 10 course tasting menu and there was a more than adequate amount of wonderful food there, in my opinion.

It is a perfect venue for a treat, something special and the staff go out of their way to make your evening memorable. They are attentive with out being obtrusive,professional without being over familiar and classy without being pretentious.

We have eaten in the Olive Tree about 4 or 5 times (when we are over in Chester, from NI)and have never been disappointed. It is in the higher price range granted, but it is quality and a treat that you wouldn't be having every week.

Keep up the high standards and the quality service. It is a gem of a restaurant.

Reviewed 15 March 2009

We dined here on saturday evening and without question the service was excellent, unfortunately the size of the portions were minute! so small in fact it was very difficult to fully appreciate the quality. We have dined in a number of mitchelin and fodors restaurants and they have been special, but i feel somehow this restaurant has forgotten itself. I fail to see why it has such high ratings for the food it serves. There is nuveau cuisine and poltry portions, a complete rip off. Don't go here if you want a fulfilling meal! You will need to cook when you get home!!

4  Thank elninoChester