Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
Agoda.comUS$87
eDreamsUS$87
ZenHotels.com
All reviews the pub continental breakfast fresh fruit comfortable bed quiet location next morning would stay again two nights paula supplement zoo
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I can't add much more to the review below. Lovely place, friendly and would certainly return. I felt it was very good value. I enjoyed the peaceful rear garden with new patio furniture. Lost myself in a good book in the sun with a nice pint!

Room tip: The double room I had was lovely. I think it was room 2.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was down from Edinburgh for a week on business and fancied somewhere with a friendly local atmosphere. I travel a lot and prefer to stay somewhere small where you are not just a room number. I read the reviews on here first and obviously the place hasn't been up to scratch in the past according to the old reviews. HOWEVER, absolutely everything about the stay was fantastic. The beer garden to the rear was lovely, and as one reviewer mentioned there was a great range of real ales and I couldn't recommend the place enough. Nice quiet area, modern but traditional room at the same time if that makes sense?! Best of both worlds. I was there for business and appreciated somewhere with free wifi for once! I'd recommend to anyone reading this with a family looking for a break, I was in room 3 and it was easily big enough for 4 with the sofa bed out, which for me was a bonus having a sofa in the room! I paid something around the £80 mark for a massive room that was too big for me! (the company was paying!). 10/10 and the young lad James working there was 11/10!

Room tip: I had room 3 was perfect...
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Hamish M
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I recently stayed at the white horse for a wedding nearby and must say I was very pleasantly surprised. For the money my room was outstanding, fresh and modern. As a real ale drinker I was very impressed by some of their beers from local microbreweries that I had never tried. They were very well kept beers and I thoroughly enjoyed them in the lovely sunny beer garden, which was surprisingly busy with friendly people which I had a good chin-wag to. I possibly had one or two more than planned thanks to the locals! Would definitely return and am planning a trip to the area later this year and I see no reason to look elsewhere. Highly recommend! Although it was just me and the missus I could recommend for families as was very friendly spot.

Room tip: Room 2 was lovely!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willie N
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The pub has been completely redone very tastefully and updated into the 21st century. Having visited the area for many years this is a completely different place to what the 2012 reviews are based on. The staff are friendly, absolutely everything has been refurbished since I was last there. They've really made a good effort at getting the place going. The rooms are spotless and despite a couple niggles on some reviews here, all the matters had been addressed by Paula the friendly landlady. I much prefer staying here to a characterless chain hotel and for less money. Great location for Chester/Ellesmere Port, even Liverpool at a push.

Room tip: All the rooms are in a separate building facing same direction/same views. Room 2 that I stayed in this time was perfect. Last time I had the standard double room 1 which was also great value.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank james b
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here overnight Paula and James made us feel very welcome. Rooms have just been refurbished and really are 5 star tea and coffee making facilities and fresh fruit. Had a brilliant night with all the locals who also made us feel very welcome. Thanks everyone. Sue and charlie from birmingham look forward to returning soon

Room tip: All rooms are excellent
Date of stay: July 2014