“Mega Plate not!”

Ranked #222 of 573 Restaurants in Chester
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Stumbled across this place by accident, weary travellers in need of food, so wish I had carried on stumbling.

Partner ordered Italian Chicken, frozen processed chicken, smear of tomato sauce and that famous cheese of Italy Cheddar on top? Garnished with a plate of chips. Well to be fair the food was cooked and edible.

My first order was from the Megaplate section of the menu. Went for Cow Pie. The menu showed a large plate, bursting with chips and a large pie dish topped with a thick golden crust, cut to show a filling bursting out with a blend of succulent chunks of steak and fresh veg in a rich gravy, which certainly made my mind up.

Unfortunately, that's not what turned up. Normal sized plate with significantly less chips than a non Megaplate meal. A brown ramekin sat on my plate with a half cooked pastry topper, literally folded in. Firstly this is not a pie, I hate those fake toppers even when cooked. My guess is that they deliberately undercook them so they can be folded into the dish, if it was cooked and puffed up it would overhang the tiny pie dish a couple inches each side. At this point I decided to carry on towards the promised filling, pushing the raw pastry to one side I was greeted by frozen carrots reheated in gravy with a mighty 3 pieces of beef.

Heading back to the bar I pointed out the meals deficiencies and was offered a replacement, I could not face another attempt at pie, so asked for a bacon cheese burger you can't go wrong with a burger can you?

Apparently you can! It appeared to be cooked this time however the burgers were cheap and tasted foul leaving a nasty after taste in my mouth, I mean come on seriously Weatherspoons can do a reasonably nice burger 10 times the quality for half the price and you get a free drink with it, you should hang your heads in shame. I couldn't even make a chip butty with the bun as cheap meat juice had soaked into it.

I was in fear of what would come out next if I complained again, so we fled and took solace in a bag of crisps and some choc eclairs in the car.

Avoid!!!

2  Thank Mak3m

Reviewed 9 October 2013

dirty tables and menus were enough to put me off as well as the customers in the place looked a bit rough to say the least.

3  Thank PETE M
Reviewed 5 September 2013

During one of frequent trips to Chester we decided to have lunch.
We noticed a chap giving out fliers for Off the wall and decided to give it a try. (The flier was promoting a special offer one of the set meals plus desert for £6)
On first entering we though this was just the usual sports bar place. (Many televisions showing Sky sports etc.) I decided on Lasagne and my wife traditional fish and chips. We were both pleasantly surprised with the presentation of the food, portions were acceptable in size also. We then decided on desert, great selection and very well presented.
Also worth mentioning the staff we very polite with being over fussy.
This establishment appears to be promoting its food,and is doing a great job.
I will definitely call in again next time we go to Chester.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Came across this Pub after doing the Wall Walk with my Daughter and Friend-Had a Lunchtime Special meal which was very reasonable for £3.25.Nice Staff and alcoholic drinks very cheap.Toilets let the place down somewhat,could do with some tlc.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Could not believe value and quality of the food
2 main courses for £9. unbelievable. Followed b
2 for 1 delicious deserts.
Our waiter was excellent,nothing too much trouble, just sorry we didn't get his name
Will definitely go back