“vile”

Off The Wall
Ranked #292 of 553 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
England
“vile”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

dirty, horrible place, not to the standard it was when it first opened. Such a shame. It is unwelcoming, dirty and unpleasant. Our plates and cutlery were sent back. This is not a place i would recommend at all

Visited April 2013
2 Thank mrsmav76

Rugby, UK
“Mega Plate not!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Stumbled across this place by accident, weary travellers in need of food, so wish I had carried on stumbling.

Partner ordered Italian Chicken, frozen processed chicken, smear of tomato sauce and that famous cheese of Italy Cheddar on top? Garnished with a plate of chips. Well to be fair the food was cooked and edible.

My first order was from the Megaplate section of the menu. Went for Cow Pie. The menu showed a large plate, bursting with chips and a large pie dish topped with a thick golden crust, cut to show a filling bursting out with a blend of succulent chunks of steak and fresh veg in a rich gravy, which certainly made my mind up.

Unfortunately, that's not what turned up. Normal sized plate with significantly less chips than a non Megaplate meal. A brown ramekin sat on my plate with a half cooked pastry topper, literally folded in. Firstly this is not a pie, I hate those fake toppers even when cooked. My guess is that they deliberately undercook them so they can be folded into the dish, if it was cooked and puffed up it would overhang the tiny pie dish a couple inches each side. At this point I decided to carry on towards the promised filling, pushing the raw pastry to one side I was greeted by frozen carrots reheated in gravy with a mighty 3 pieces of beef.

Heading back to the bar I pointed out the meals deficiencies and was offered a replacement, I could not face another attempt at pie, so asked for a bacon cheese burger you can't go wrong with a burger can you?

Apparently you can! It appeared to be cooked this time however the burgers were cheap and tasted foul leaving a nasty after taste in my mouth, I mean come on seriously Weatherspoons can do a reasonably nice burger 10 times the quality for half the price and you get a free drink with it, you should hang your heads in shame. I couldn't even make a chip butty with the bun as cheap meat juice had soaked into it.

I was in fear of what would come out next if I complained again, so we fled and took solace in a bag of crisps and some choc eclairs in the car.

Avoid!!!

2 Thank Mak3m
Chester, United Kingdom
“Disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

dirty tables and menus were enough to put me off as well as the customers in the place looked a bit rough to say the least.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank PETE M
Chester
“Lunch time treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

During one of frequent trips to Chester we decided to have lunch.
We noticed a chap giving out fliers for Off the wall and decided to give it a try. (The flier was promoting a special offer one of the set meals plus desert for £6)
On first entering we though this was just the usual sports bar place. (Many televisions showing Sky sports etc.) I decided on Lasagne and my wife traditional fish and chips. We were both pleasantly surprised with the presentation of the food, portions were acceptable in size also. We then decided on desert, great selection and very well presented.
Also worth mentioning the staff we very polite with being over fussy.
This establishment appears to be promoting its food,and is doing a great job.
I will definitely call in again next time we go to Chester.

• Visited September 2013
Newton-Le-Willows, United Kingdom
“Nice Stop Off For Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Came across this Pub after doing the Wall Walk with my Daughter and Friend-Had a Lunchtime Special meal which was very reasonable for £3.25.Nice Staff and alcoholic drinks very cheap.Toilets let the place down somewhat,could do with some tlc.

• Visited July 2013