“More Food and Less fuss from the Staff”

Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #21 of 562 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Wales
“More Food and Less fuss from the Staff”
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We spent £200 on the following: good food but tiny portions; too much explanation from the waiters about the food; unnecessary explanation over and over about different kinds of bread; too much bread; no vegetables. Not the best food we have eaten. They make the whole experience too complicated. There is nothing like excellent food without fuss; I am sure that the Two Fat Ladies would not have liked the place.

• Visited March 2011
2 Thank FandangoEspanol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Liverpool, England
“Wonderful gastronomic experience!”
Reviewed 17 March 2011

We enjoyed an anniversary treat at The Grosvenor and the whole experience was faultless, lovely meal, fine wine in a lovely atmosphere with attentive but not intrusive service. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2011
Leeds
“Wonderful food, could not fault it.”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

My husband took me here for Valentines, we had the meal that was set for that night, the evening started with a glass of champagne and cannapes in the bar we were then seated and all I can say is that every course was wonderful especially the Sea Bass, the wine which went with each course matched the food perfectly. We asked as we are not dessert lovers if we could have cheese instead which was no problem, they asked which ones we prefered and we asked for a plate to share, when the cheese course came they brought us out a plate each and they were really great and instead of a glass of sweet wine with the desserts we were offered a glass of port.
I cannot fault this place great staff, wonderful surroundings really good food.

• Visited February 2011
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“London food at London prices”
Reviewed 22 January 2011

It’s January, I’m off the alcohol and my wife and I are taking advantage of our new-found mobility to take in some restaurants a drive away from our south Manchester home to sample their delights.

This week it was Simon Radley at the Chester Grosvenor, one of only 3 restaurants in the whole of Lancashire, Cheshire, Merseyside and Manchester to have a Michelin star.

The last time we were here it was called The Arkle which I assume was a reference to the famous 60’s steeplechaser but what he had to do with Chester passes me by. The restaurant was a bit dire and old-fashioned then and The Grosvenor have obviously made some efforts in modernising it but it’s still a hotchpotch of styles and struggles to work visually.

You can choose the a la carte at £69 or the tasting menu at £90 and we went for the taster.

Overall, it was very good. A few grumbles in that the dish that the ham hock and scallop (that’s right – just one of them) came in was a little thin and awkward and the main meal, a breast of duck was extremely salty and a bit on the tough side. They definitely need to sort this one out. I can’t believe that the chef let it out of the kitchen in that state. We finished off with a strange but nice cheese ravioli (would rather have had the cheese board which looked great) and an absolutely superb trifle.

The wines seemed reasonable given their quality. My wife just had a couple of glasses of Chilean Sauvignon at £8 a glass, which was nice and priced about right.

The service was pretty good except the bread took 35 minutes to arrive. Great choice when it did – it took the poor waiter 5 full minutes to go thru the choices by which time we were both thinking, “Just get on with it man, we’re starving!”

Total cost was £234 for 2 with me drinking water and diet coke, which is a bit on the dear side unless you happen to be the Duke of Westminster but it was basically OK for the quality.

Would I go back?

Probably wouldn’t beat a path to the door but might take it in next January if I’m off the booze again. I just wasn’t bowled over by it and I think that at that price, I should have been.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank Cookiemonster171
wetherby
“Left wanting more”
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Mostly what one would expect of a Michelin star restaurant: comfort, careful service, knowledgeable staff, unique menu, excellent presentation, balanced dishes all be they quite small, and of course a hefty bill!
The array of breads was spectacularly impressive, until one realized I couldn’t eat them all.
A most pleasant evening and I may well return to sample other breads.

• Visited December 2010