“Luxurious treat - old style quality service and lovely food.”

Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #22 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Solihull
“Luxurious treat - old style quality service and lovely food.”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This was my second visit and it confirmed all the joys of the first.
Service is excellent, with beautiful attention to detail from the doorstep; the concierge saw my friend and I looking at the menu outside and straight away asked if he could help us in with the pushchair. The level of service never faltered and was always carried out in a subtle and professional manner.
The food (afternoon tea) was delicious and beautifully presented. It's not the cheapest but you do get what you pay for.
My only disappointment was that they didn't have the chocolate muffins which I'd had on a previous visit, they had been heaven on earth. (if you see them on the menu, have them, trust me they are chocolate Nirvana.)
The atmosphere is always relaxed, but has a lively buzz at the weekends when it is busier.
A lovely treat to be recommended to all.

• Visited August 2010
1 Thank KsGirl_Thursday

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
The Wirral
“A Gastronomic treat that was Superb !”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

A gastronomic treat that was simply superb is an over simplification of a lovely evening spent at this establishment. The simplicity of the menu and attentiveness of the staff was welcoming and unlike some other reviewers not intrusive in any way. Their explanations added to the overall enjoyment of the occasion.

Life and food are inextricably linked and this experience was one to be savoured.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank Jeremy1951
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Enjoyed a wonderful meal at Simon Radley's restaurant. From start to finish, the whole experience was sublime. As a restauranteur myself, I can usually find a way to pick fault with something, no matter how seemingly unimportant. However, you would be hard pushed to at Simon Radley's.
The staff bordered on perfection, from the sommelier, through to the commis waiters. They were supremely knowledgable and were never at your table when you didn't want them to be. They offered their advice and help on the menu for my girlfriend and didn't hesitate to recommend.
The food was divine - from the huge bread trolley, through to the portion sizes and the presentation. The amaretto jelly that was served with the dessert was tiny yet packed full of flavour and complemented the rest of the flavours. We are a young couple and probably don't look like the type who spend a lot of money on fine dining experiences, yet we were never treated as such. We felt like regulars. Special thanks to Gary, the sommelier, who offered advice on my career in such a helpful manner.
Will definitely be back...hopefully to stay in the hotel too!

• Visited January 2011
Mold, United Kingdom
“Eye wateringly expensive but very good nevertheless”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Ate here last night and was not sure what to expect having read reviews. There is some truth in what everyone else has written but whether you will enjoy it is partly down to your taste and previous eating experiences.
Ate from a la carte menu. We were given some small eats while we had pre-dinner drinks and selected from menu. They were not quite canapes and tasty though they were, I was not wowed.
I had scallop dish as starter and it was one scallop, but beautifully cooked and served with exceptional, small piece of belly pork. She-who-must-be-obeyed had rabbit. It was supposed to be served with langoustine but as boss does not eat fish she asked for it to be omitted and there were no snooty quibbles. Portion of rabbit was very generous. Don't know whether that was extra rabbit to replace omitted langoustine? Rabbit was fantastic.
Our mains and sweet were all delicious and in between them we were served two amuse bouche - a tomato and parmesan offering and a tiny fruit salad thing.
I forgot my glasses so opted for the sommelier to select a different glass of wine with each of the three main courses. Not the cheapest way of buying wine and although I could have really been kicked where it hurts, he made three excellent choices at an average of about £8 a glass.
Service is quite fussy and formal but it is grand theatre and entertaining as well. Also therein probably lies the price. With so many front-of-house (and probably even more in the kitchen) it has to be expensive. By the time drinks, coffee, petit fours and service charge were added in, the total for two was £250.
Portions are the usual fine-dining - small. I am a greedy sod and I am always amazed that even I feel full after such small portions. The Grosvenor managed to stuff me by the end.
You can eat Michelin quality cheaper and I have had better dishes elsewhere but overall I thought it was excellent. Very good food, some excellent; excellent presentation and theatrical service. If you are bit overawed by or do not like formality this is not for you.
I thought it was very good and when I have had time to save up I will be back.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Largesarge1961
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Not bad but expected better”
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Too much fuss from staff, I wanted some privacy and have a chat with my husband but the waiters kept explaining everything that was on our plate like I never seen food before, no atmosphere in the place at all, everything was ever so quite but the food quality is what you expect of a restaurant like Simon Radley.
Loved the breads and the wines.

I will be back