“Loved it”

Ranked #10 of 576 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Enjoyed a 3 course meal from the a la carte menu. Hare to start, then beef, and an incredible hazelnut and toffee dessert! My boyfriend and I both loved the food, the staff were friendly and had a good sense of humour, and the service was brilliant. The bread trolley and cheese trolley are very impressive! The only criticism I could make would be our first impression, on arrival at the bar we were told to find a seat and then left for about 5-10 minutes before someone brought us a menu. However the meal was incredible and the staff very knowledgeable and professional. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This was the first visit for a couple of years in the week after their January break. Cooking is certainly accomplished and sourcing good but the new tasting menu was only about 80%.You expect and pay for perfection and when its not there a feeling of disappointment is inevitable. One dish on the tasting menu was dreadful. A cheese concoction served chilled with truffle shavings and a piece of cold melba like toast.
The bread trolley is a delight and the cheese trolley equally stunning, so I came away wishing my bread and cheese fix had been of the rustic variety.

1  Thank second row
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Only one way to describe this meal as amazing, as a chef id love to work in this type of restaurant (Simon Radleys). Food/presentation was superb if there was an opportunity for a job as a chef id take it hands down, service was great and the waiter who served the wine was very knowledgeable , including meno who mad us an Excellent cocktail,
Thanks very much!!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I recently ate at Simon Radley. After reading all the reviews, we were looking forward to our meal and expecting something similar to Number One in Edinburgh....Unfortunately, that's not what we received.

The dining room and bar are stuffy and old although, honestly, the atmosphere isn't too surprising, as the whole of the Grosvenor is quite similar. When we walked in, we were greeted rather rudely at the door by two people - both of whom ended up serving us later in the evening, and were much more pleasant in that setting. They asked if we wanted a drink at the bar first, or to go to our table. As we had arrived early, we opted to have a drink at the bar. As soon as our drinks were served, someone came over with a menu and asked us to confirm we still wanted to do the tasting menu. This seemed very abrupt, and completely unwarranted - they don't seem to re-seat the tables, so it's not as though we needed to be out of the restaurant at a specific time. It was also still not our reservation time, so I really didn't understand the rush. We were served canapes at the bar. They were completely underwhelming - I honestly couldn't distinguish between the choux with beets and the choux with smoked salmon. Everything tasted of the same generic smoked fish flavor. As soon as our canapes were finished, we were rushed over to our table...Again, I didn't quite understand the rush - we were the first people in the dining room and I had a sip of wine left in my glass. Surely they could have waited five more minutes for me to finish?

Other than the bread cart and the venison, I honestly can't remember a single thing we ate...As with the canapes, it was all fairly bland, vaguely fishy and extremely boring. We did discover that the sommelier was actually at the front door when we walked in, as was one of our waitresses. Both of them were far nicer during our meal then they were when we were in the bar. I would highly recommend that management find a more suitable person to "run" the door, as this is clearly not where the strengths of those two lie.The service, in general, though was also sort of flat. At one point, I asked the server where the oysters were from and she didn't know. She said she would find out, she came back and told me something and then, from across the dining room, was corrected by someone else. This was reflective of the entire service experience - dishes were either not described, or so incompletely described that entire portions of the dish were left as complete mysteries.

All in all, this was an extremely disappointing meal. I would absolutely NOT recommend the tasting menu here, as it was a complete bore. It's possible the a la carte is more interesting, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to return to decide for myself. It should be noted that we were the only people in the restaurant doing the tasting menu...Perhaps that should have been a sign.

2  Thank ATinCT
Reviewed 16 January 2014

If you are in Cheshire and want to visit the best restaurant in the area with an amazing atmosphere and great service then visit Simon Radley. It is the most amazing restaurant we have been too in recent years. Just make sure you don't take small kids with you because the food and the atmosphere are both very upmarket. The food is amazing.

1  Thank Kelly N