“Magnificent food and service”

Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #21 of 559 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Teddington, United Kingdom
“Magnificent food and service”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Four of us had dinner while staying at the hotel for the 88th birthday of one of us.

I checked out which table we would have the day before our dinner, and thought the one allocated might be a little too large for us and saw one that was exactly right. I spoke with Lance who was on duty and he ensured we had that table when we came the next night. This was the first of many very helpful and considerate things the staff did for us.

Another very kind thing was the Sommelier getting us a bottle of SA Chenin Blanc from the Brasserie restaurant's list [where we had eaten in the previous night and drunk this wine] as it was oaked while the only SA Chenin Blanc on his list was unoaked. We had this as a pre-prandial drink because the cocktails seemed a touch expensive for 80 year olds.

This level of service was shown us throughout the meal by everyone one of the staff.

We were amazed to have a bread trolley to choose from, with maybe 6 or so different breads and choice of salted or unsalted butter.

The set menu food was exquisite and besides the 3 course meal [3 choices for each course}which was part of our hotel package, there were additionally canapés in the bar, amuse bouche, a pre-dessert and amuse des dames. Sensational value.

One couple of our party was from London and the other from Todmorden, and it was everyone's first visit to Chester for years, so we had chosen this hotel via Trip Advisor.

Thank you everyone for making it so memorable. I could not fault anything except the price of the wine chosen for us by the sommelier... but this was my fault for handing over the choice to him, when I had a short list of two of the less expensive wines in my head ......We had a Corsican wine that was acceptable but not raved over by any of us..... when there was an interesting Austrian Gruner Veltliner, and a Spanish Rueda that we would definitely have liked better at half the price. A useful tip is that it is possible to have wines here for under £30 which is not all that usual in a Michelin star restaurant, where the cooking and ambience is of this quality. If your budget us under pressure I would bypass the sommelier or pluck up courage to tell him

IF I LIVED IN CHESTER this would be my once a month treat. The locals are very lucky!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“amazing food, service and atmosphere”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

just about perfect maybe the portions could be a bit bigger. its not cheap but worth every penny. ate there 3 nights in a row

Visited January 2014
“My top place for dinner”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is my number one choice for dinner anywhere. I love everything about it, the perfect service, the food, the wine, everything. I always want to take my loved ones here, because I know they would absolutely love it. The food paired with wines never fails to make me tear up just a little with joy because they work so well together, I also always so enjoy the explanations from (I think its Gary) his enthusiasm and knowledge of the wine is a real treat.
I am lucky enough to have eaten here quite a few times over the years, and hope to do so for plenty of years more.

1 Thank Fyberspates
Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“fantastic service food which matched wines”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We went to Simon Radley at the Grosvenor last night. We had the taster menu with was fantastic. We also had the matched wines, although some of the wine I wouldn't of pick out they really complemented the gorgeous food. The staff were excellent and the restaurant manager Attila Tornyi attention to detail was second to none. Attila is a real asset to the restaurant. We will certainly be returning again.

1 Thank Suzychester
Chester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Classy without being overly pretentious, I found the valentines tasting menu to be a very enjoyable culinary journey. Would definitely recommend!

• Visited February 2014