“Overpriced and ordinary food.”

Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #12 of 575 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Simon Radley at The Chester Grosvenor, has held a Michelin star for nineteen years running ��� surely a record outside of London. Under the direction of Executive Chef Simon Radley the exceptional modern British menu changes seasonally and uses only the finest ingredients. The cellar is also renowned, having one thousand bins and a sommelier of prodigious knowledge. The dining room itself is as dashing as you would expect with comfy chairs, oriental carpets, fine woods, original artwork, ebony pillars and many-layered tones of gold and taupe. The service is distinguished by its warmth and professionalism. Top marks.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was a celebration meal with family and friends.
Arrived 8pm and got to our table at 9pm.
A glass of champagne in a half sized glass.
The steak was OK and have been served better in some pubs.
We were shunted to the bar for coffee at 10.30 and asked by a guy from the main door at 11pm who looked like a bouncer if we were residents and as we weren't we were asked to leave.
Great service when the evening cost a bomb.
Unlike Arnie I won't be back.

10  Thank Naldotwo D

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The greeting when we arrived was friendly. The restaurant itself was immaculate, food selection very limited especially if you do not like seafood. My wife finally chose ox tongue with peppered steak being the only item that she could eat, she specifically requested medium well done and I asked if that would be a problem for the chef and was told absolutely no problem. I ordered lamb because that was all there was that I would eat, I had previously advised them I do not eat seafood and yet the menu given to us consisted mostly of seafood. The waitress even admitted there wasn't much else, I chose a starter from the vegetarian menu because there was limited choice. My wife meanwhile had a Bailey's which cost around £7 and as I was driving I had a small cappuccino which cost £4. It was July 4, our anniversary and everything was sort of ok, the food was tasty that I had but unfortunately when my wife's main arrived it was quite bloody and pink inside, she did not want to make a fuss and so had a go at it but left half of the meat. After the meal I left the restaurant for a few moments and meanwhile my wife thought she would have a quiet chat with her friend on her cell, almost immediately a waitress came over to tell her the restaurant do not permit use of phones in restaurant. Quite honestly I do understand, if my wife was loud but everyone around her were noisily chatting so she really was disturbing no one, and also it was no clearly marked about use of phone. My wife was so offended about the attitude of the staff she would not stay for dessert and I requested the check, the total price including 2 cappuccinos, 2 Baileys, 2 starters and 2 mains cost £205. Now, if this had been the amazing experience I had anticipated I would have been happy to pay much more but sadly with the attitude of the waitress, the limited and pretentious menu spoiled our anniversary celebration. Finally I should like to mention that I have eaten at top Michelin restaurants all over Britain and never experienced such problems.

17  Thank Paulul j
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The wine list and sommelier were excellent. The bread trolley was amazing in its choice as was the cheese board.
My starter and main were a little disappointing though .
The starter claimed to include " scorched prawns". These were cold and too raw for my palate. My lamb main arrived with a selection of offal which was not mentioned on the menu and would have disturbed offal haters. It was a surprise to see a slice of tongue and a rare half of a kidney both of which were unpalatable to me. The lamb flesh and fritters ( brain? Sweetbreads?) were delicious however.

2  Thank AnneStFoodies
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Excellent food of high quality which was well worth the money. The restaurant was very pleasant, the staff were well trained, polite and very professional. The whole experience made my night at the Grosvenor all the more wonderful.

2  Thank Beverley S
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I begged my husband to take me here for the 8 course tasting menu, it's expensive but worth every penny! The service was fantastic, from the moment we stepped into the hotel reception, we had drinks in the bar first which were accompanied with complimentary nuts and olives and once we had ordered were also brought some canapés which was a welcome surprise. My cocktail was £13.50 but delicious.
The tasting menu was divine and I loved every mouthful, my husband is a little fussier but tried a lot of food that he would not have eaten if I had given it to him at home.
Our favourite course was the Asparagus with plaice, lobster saveloy and clam juice - it was to die for, closely followed by the herdwick lamb with was cooked to perfection with breast carpaccio, sheeps curd & various other things...
The only grumble was that they offered us still or sparkeling water at the table which was aleady in an ice bucket by the table. We got through 2 bottles of the still water some how but they were £5 each which was not mentioned at all! Also the samphire was too salty, I know that it is naturally salty but it had definitely had more added which was not needed but other that that everything was perfect.

2  Thank Lainey_666