“Trendy, wonderful food, and service is top notch now”
Review of The Secret Garden

The Secret Garden
Ranked #227 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant at Oddfellows is set in Oddfellows Hall on Chester's Lower Bridge Street, a renovated 17th century Georgian manor house turned chic. Oddfellows comprises of various bars and restaurants, eightenn hotel rooms and a gorgeous walled garden filled for al fresco dining. Serving lunch, informal afternoon tea and dinner every day. Oddfellows' super-chic Champagne Bar is ideal for stylish pre/post dinner drinks.
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Oddfellows in Chester is fantastically trendy in every way. We loved the building and the way it's been used as much as we did the gorgeous food. Very creative and international menu. The wine list is extensive and comes complete with tasting notes on each wine - very helpful. The quality of food was superb and wonderfully presented - this place is fine dining in disguise. Nevertheless the portions were of a good size and very friendly and accomodating of our baby. The quality of service is definitely a million miles away from what the reviewers in 2010 were describing. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 15 July 2011

I had booked a trip to Chester races for my birthday with the girls and we wanted somewhere to eat. My friend had said that Oddfellows was excellent. I gave them a call and I ended up speaking to a really helpful lady who went out of her way to help me. Within seconds of the call I had sample menus e-mailed to me. The price was extremely good value and the food looked delicious. I ended up reserving a private room called 'The Ink Room' for 8 of us. The commmunication throughout with 'Jennie' was outstanding we were incontact over menu choices, decorations for the room. Nothing was too much trouble. On the actual day the room was fab. We were whisked straight into our private dining room and were treated so well. We had a record player with fab tunes and were waited on but not in an obtrusive way. All in all a truely wonderful birthday. Jennie Eastwood from Oddfellows was superb at organising things and I would really recommend a visit.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

We booked a Champagne Afternoon Tea for my daughter's Hen Party on 18th June this year. We were very impressed with the events team approach to our intial enquires, subsequent visit to view the facilites and to the actual event on the day. This venue is quirky and offers a number of seating facilities and surroundings. We booked a room with views onto historic city of Chester which seated 16 people around one large round table. We also had a reserved area known as "The Padded Cell" to meet and greet guests.

The events team were well prepared for our party and the table setting look amazing. Staff greeted our guests with jugs of Woo Woo cocktails which were a great way to start of the celebrations. We moved into our booked room where we were able to play our own ipod music instead of listening to the piped music played in the rest of the hotel.

I cannot praise the service or quality of the food more hightly. The 3 tier afternoon tea platters were filled with a selection of freshly made finger sandwiches, homemade scones and a variety of homebaked cakes. We finished our afternoon with cocktails which were both generous and very well made.

There are some unusual decoration including a fully set table, rug and lamp on the ceiling amongst other things.

Thank you to everyone at Oddfellows for making my daughter Jess's Hen Party such a wonderful day whcih was enjoyed by both family and friends.

Reviewed 22 June 2011

As regular visitors to Chester we have witnessed and experienced the grand opening and slow sad decline of this amazingly decorated venue with growing sadness. On our latest trip when meeting firends we were very nervous when we rang them to find out where they were and were told that "we are waiting for you in Oddfellows!"

Thank goodness. If not for that call we may just have remembered the place for uninterested service, empty rooms and dissapointment. We were acknowledged immeadiately by a very friendly and smart waitress and directed straight to our friends table. Menu's and the offer of drinks got to the table before we had even sat down.

We all partook of the afternoon tea and what a selection arrived. All of the baked goods were obviously freshly baked some even still warm from the oven and plentiful hot tea that was replaced halfway through without us even asking. There were a good number of other customers in and everyone seemed to getting the same high levels of service as us.

When paying for our bill it was with real exuberance that we left a generous tip for the staff as it really had been earned.

Well done to the new Manager he has obviously started to make some of the changes that have been so badly needed for a long time. We are going back this weekend to see if the main restaurant has had the same makeover. Fingers Crossed!

Reviewed 21 June 2011

I was recommended this venue by a colleague at work. Initially i must say that i was a little wary of booking Oddfellows after looking at some of the previous reviews, however as most of these were posted some time ago and my friend was clearly a fan, i decided to take the plunge and book Sunday Lunch on Fathers Day.

I must say that the experience was fantastic. The food offered a good variety at a very competitive price (expected to pay more than £16.95 for a three course Sunday Lunch). The restaurant was very family friendly with children taking advantage of the garden area in between the rain showers. There was also live jazz playing outside which was a surprise. Apparently this happens every Sunday (Who knew?)

Overall a very enjoyable day !!!