“Not bad”

Handbridge
Ranked #155 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not bad”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Nice atmosphere, reasonably priced average food.

Staff were over attentive whilst we were eating, then disappeared when we wanted to pay.

Overall not bad but there are much nicer places to eat in the city centre.

• Visited January 2014

Chester, United Kingdom
“A proper friendly pub”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We thought of seeing in 2014 in the handbridge as we always see old faces and a really great welcome from the owner (Alison) and staff. Saw the new year in with great friends and acquaintances.

Visited December 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grumpy owners!”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Lovely location and good beer garden but don't expect to be greeted with a welcome. I've had no problems with the bar staff but too many times now have I been let down by the managers/ owners of this place, the Basil Fawltys of Handbridge! It's actually the people who are running this place who are the problem. Last night, having booked a table for 4, we turned up with 5 people only to be told in no uncertain terms that they could not accommodate an extra person despite the restaurant being only half full. Miserable and grumpy is how I would describe the delivery of this message to us. Luckily, The Ship were happily able to find a table and feed us even though we hadn't booked and they were very busy. On another occasion, I've been told that I couldn't plug my laptop in when I went to use their wifi with my cup of tea despite this being advertised on the board outside. Another occasion again, went with a group of friends for food. Food was delivered and we stopped the manager to ask for some sauce to go with our food only to be told she was too busy to get this for us. Finally, a friend tried to book a table one evening for food using his tastecard but was told by the same manager/ owner that she'd had enough of tastecards for that day and wouldn't take the booking! I don't feel that I can keep giving them chances and constantly feel let down which is a shame because food is okay.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Claire A
Wirral, England
“Lovely little village.”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We often park in this locality when visiting Chester as it is lovely to walk along the Dee here and there are some really nice unspoilt pubs to make a pit stop before heading home. The more touristy and busier part of central Chester is 'so near and yet so far'.

Visited November 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“A little gem of a restaurant!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We had dinner in this restaurant last Wednesday, using our Tastecard. Lovely atmosphere, very good service and delicious food. The barman/waiter was attentive without being intrusive which was greatly appreciated. The food was out of this world. I agree with a previous reviewer, we shared the baked Camembert and it was plenty for a starter. My prawn and chicken paella was just perfect with plenty of prawns and seafood. Other dishes were equally as good, our compliments to the chef. Unfortunately, it was our last night in Chester otherwise we would have certainly eaten there again. I definitely recommend it.

• Visited October 2013