“Ebenezer Scrooge”
Review of Ring O' Bells

Ring O' Bells
Reserve with OpenTable
Ring O' Bells is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 555 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$15 - US$39
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The award winning Ring O' Bells is now bigger and better! The Ring O' Bells is located in the heart of the picturesque Cheshire village Christleton. Recently extended and fully refurbished to the highest standard the unique plush interior creates a fabulous ambience and compliments the pubs picturesque surroundings.The addition of The Glasshouse - a contemporary new extension, gives an exciting new dimension to the pub, creating a spectacular dining environment, perfect for hosting any special event. In the warmer months its fully retractable doors create the ideal inside/outside space.The restaurant has also been given a fresh new look creating a vibrant place to dine. For main meals, we offer many wonderful seasonal dishes Honey & Cider Glazed Chicken Skewers, mustard dip,Chargrilled Tuna, Tandoori King Prawn salad alongside established favourites like hand-stretched stone-baked pizzas and fabulous Sunday roasts. The Village Bar is sure to wow with delicious home-made bar snacks to accompany your chosen tipple, plus it's open for tea, coffee and home-made cakes every weekday morning from 9.00Am. The village and its surroundings have inspired the Ring O' Bells new interior design, with a nod to the duck pond, local walks and other areas of interest. Alfresco drinking & dining is also well catered for - when weather permits. We have a decked sun terrace and a family lawn, complete with picnic tables and children's play area.You'll be assured of a warm welcome together with great food, drink and service at the all new look Ring O' Bells.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Ebenezer Scrooge”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Don't know where to start really there was that much wrong in so many ways.

We ate on Xmas day which at £70 per head for adults were expecting wonderful things.

No greeting on arrival. Bad start. Far too much pate for the toast so asked for more & the waitress brought mass produced baps!! Had to ask for cutlery for main of roast beef which was the worst cut of meat I've eaten out in years, fatty & tasteless,gravy warm, cold plates, dull cheap veg & roasties like pebbles they were that hard. Asked for sum pigs in blankets....fell on deaf ears. Can honestly say I've had better buffet roasts in cheap chain pubs. Desert of orange tart, pastry so hard couldn't get knife through it. Had to ask again for cutlery & my partner was presented with a steak knife for her cheese! No offer of coffees or mince pies , which I'm sure were on the original menu.

Waitress asked at end of meal if all was fine to which i replied no it wasn't & gave a brief account as i didn't want to cause a fuss on Xmas day but for this culinary disaster on such a special day
which cost in excess of £300 I'd like to hear what the management have to say.

9 Thank Thelobsterman
IanWade, Owner at Ring O' Bells, responded to this review, 28 December 2012
Firstly, let me apologise for your experience & I will endeavour to look into it for you.

It's a shame we couldn't address it on the day & I wish you had asked for it to be brought to my attention then. Please let me have your name & number & I will contact you personally. My email is ian@mbt.cc

Let me address your issues individually:

Greeting -Myself & the GM were on the door all day, so you must have arrived when we had been called away - it would have just been a moment.
Pate - we very rarely get a complaint about giving too much food! As for the bread it is hand made & locally produced - far from mass produced!
Cutlery - fair call,apologies we had to re-lay some tables & some of yours must have been missed.
Beef - again this is very strange as the beef is from a local farm & was of the best cut. We have had no other complaints about this, only compliments. The rib-eye is naturally fatty & in order to maintain the quality we will always serve it medium-rare, thus leaving some unrendered fat on the meat to give it flavour.
Veg - was not in the least cheap. All local & fresh along with the carrot & suede mash, red cabbage, Yorkshire puddings & roasters. Again on the roasters we received lots of compliments on them, they were cooked in goose fat - crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Again apologies if you had a bad one?
Pigs in Blankets - I am sorry, they were only served with the turkey & we had exactly enough.
Orange Tart - I am speaking to the chefs about this as again all home made & no other complaints.
Cheesboard - yes a steak knife was given as we didnt have enough cheese kinves for the amount of cheeseboards, sorry about this. I have them on my new year shopping list.
Coffee & mince pies - no excuse, these were included. If you let me know your name I can find out were you were sitting & who served you. I can then look into this for you.

Again let me apologise & please send me your contact details so we can make it up to you.

“Disappointed”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Disappointed in service and food. Repeated errors by restaurant staff who didn't care. Food microwaved and not as described. Bland and salty. Sent email to pub but not granted one in return. Don't bother going, it's not worth it.

4 Thank Lktoday1
IanWade, Owner at Ring O' Bells, responded to this review, 25 December 2012
Hello

I am very sorry about your experience & would like to look into it for you.

However, we have not received an email from you about this. You may be using the wrong address? Please resend to my personal email, ian@mbt.cc with details, date, etc.

Once again I am very sorry & I will do my best to remedy the situation.

Thanks & Merry Christmas
Stamford, United Kingdom
“A great find”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We visited friends in the village and a group of us (6) had dinner here on Saturday night. It was the night when the Christmas lights were switched on so very busy.

The food was served promptly and was excellent. Steaks cooked to perfection and a good value wine list.

The "conservatory" makes the place ideal for both diners and those who want to enjoy the atmosphere of a drinkers bar.

The owners have made a great job of this place and deserve to do well.

1 Thank StamfordWoodsie
Chester, United Kingdom
“First class village bar and restaurant”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I am lucky enough to live round the corner from this excellent place to eat and drink. Only a few years ago, it was a pub on the verge of oblivion, but it has been re-vitalised under the obviously excellent owner Ian, his management team and staff. They deserve the awards they have won, and the thriving customer base they now have. The Ring has become a community hub, as well as a draw for people from further afield.
The menu is exactly what you would want from a place like this. I usually eat steak, and it will arrive cooked exactly as you ordered. My wife's favourite varies with each visit. They have a brilliant pizza menu (with two for one on Wednesday nights) Desserts excellent, good wines, brilliant, attentive service.
It is very, very unlikely that you will regret coming here, and now they have built on the glass house extension, there is even more space. Family friendly, but you can also enjoy a drink and meal with your friends.

1 Thank Simon M
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and service”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Just been here for dinner tonight for my Mum's birthday. Service was great, staff were welcoming and friendly. I had the New York Deli Burger and it was delicious. Food is a little bit pricey but the quality is great. Thanks to all the staff for a lovely evening. Charley x

1 Thank CocoTrash