“Best Chinese Restaurant in Chester”

The Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 567 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This restaurant doesn't really need a recommendation, because it is very popular - always heaving on a Saturday night, and for good reason.

The food really is excellent, and in the ten years we have been coming here, we have never had a bad meal or poor service.

What more can I say?! The menu remains pretty much the same, with a little bit of tweaking, the owners have found a winning formula and stuck to it. We have eaten our way round much of the menu, and it is always superb. The service is efficient, and more importantly, very friendly.

We had an anniversary meal here last night, I tried the prawns in XO sauce, which as stated on the menu, is HOT! Really good. My husband had the duck with Cointreau, and he said it was probably the best dish he had tried here, and that's saying something.

Some of the staff have been here for a few years, and they are great, especially Tony and Amy. They are quick and efficient, but do not rush you, and have time for a chat and a laugh.

Great food, great service - couldn't really ask for more!

There are newer reviews for The Shanghai Restaurant

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nice restaurant with friendly staff. Food was very nice and the portions were fine. I would recommend the duck with Cointreau. On Hoole Road where there are lots of guest houses and hotels so easy to get to. It was busy so it might be worth making a reservation.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This was the best Chinese food I've ever eaten. We popped in on the off chance as we were staying across the road, and although we hadn't booked we were quickly found a table for an hour. This was ideal as the service was friendly and efficient an hour was plenty of time!
The food was presented beautifully and tasted amazing.
The staff were all so friendly and polite, especially the young lady who giggled at us making rude shapes out of the napkins!
Overall a fantastic restaurant, well worth the expense for such beautiful food and service that was second to none.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I've been here a couple of times with work (as it's the bosses favourite Chinese) and we normally have a set menu. This time my husband and I came. The staff and owners are very friendly and were happy to change the duck on the set menu, however we did not opt for this in the end. We had the lamb pancake rolls which we've never had before and they were amazing. The hoisin sauce is the nicest we have ever had. The dishes are large (way to much for us to eat but I suppose having two starters didn't help!). It's not the cheapest (£62 for 2 starters, 2 mains and 2 sides with a couple of drinks and I think because of this it'll be a 'treat' when we go again rather than a Chinese regular.
Well worth a visit

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We booked to come here for my partners birthday with family and friends (8 of us in total) as we had never been here before and saw it had great reviews so thought we would try it out. We are so please we did because we are sure to be back again and again.The menu is great and loads of choices with the set menus. We changed a couple of dishes as one of our party had an allergy to shellfish which was no problem for them. The staff are very helpful and friendly. It has a great atmospere and loads of room between tables so you dont feel on top of others which you get it some restaurants. The food was fabulous and nothing was wasted. The only thing is that it is expensive so that would be my only negative.