“Convenient for the racecourse and the city”
Review of ABode Chester

ABode Chester
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Convenient for the racecourse and the city”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Booked a Comfortable room based on experience visiting the Manchester Abode.
Whilst the hotel was sharp and clean with excellent facilities, it was very much more of a standard 4* style than the quirky boutique style of the Manchester Abode. To dock rating points for this though would be petty as it was still fair value. If you're looking for more of a treat though it's worth upgrading to a Desirable room as the one or two little tweaks make the experience a little more special.
The bar and restaurant area were up on the top floor and provided a great view of the twinkling Chester commuter traffic lights. The cocktail offerings were interesting and tasty and the food was of an impeccable quality and beautifully presented.
Good customer service from all members of staff encountered.
Parked across the road in the NCP as parking at the hotel was limited. Wifi in room had strong signal.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I booked this hotel as it was in close proximity to both the city centre and to where friends live. It looked nice on the website and the reviews were generally very good so we booked. The rate wasn't particularly cheap but when we entered our room, we definitely decided that it was value for money. The room was a decent size with lovely furnishings and the bathroom was stunning. A nice selection of different teabags, hot chocolate and proper coffee, and nice biscuits!! The room had an ironing board and iron which was a great touch. The staff on reception were very friendly and the bar was nice too. My only criticisms were that there was no bath and the bed was a little bit too soft, but we could definitely live with it....oh and I must mention the room service breakfast. It was lovely and a real treat to have breakfast in bed but we ordered 2 bacon rolls, however 1 bacon and 1 sausage were delivered!! No big deal as my husband eats anything but the waitress was happy to change it if necessary. Other than that, it was an enjoyable stay and I would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vferguson
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Visited for an early Valentines Day treat. Booked an Enviable room and arranged via Katie in reservations for chocolates to be in the room on arrival. To my surprise on arrival we were upgraded to the Sea Pigeon Fabulous Suite. The service from start to finish was faultless, standard of accommodation and cleanliness superb. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as it is quite simply stunning. Location is perfect for the shops and bars, the only thing I regret is not trying the Michael Caines restaurant on this occasion but I'll be sure to when I next stay. Thank you to all at aBode Chester for a truly memorable stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Booked the Abode Chester for my fiancé and I, on a £99 all-in deal for dinner, bed and breakfast for the night on Sunday 29th Jan 2012.

What can I say about this hotel? It was simply amazing, the most lovely place we have ever stayed at. Arrived at the hotel to a very happy and smiley receptionist (always nice) who asked if we had a good journey, checked us in very promptly, given the keycard which also worked the lift (this wasn't too complicated, just hold it to the lift, press which floor and go). We were staying in a Comfortable room which is the most basic, but the room was still very well appointed with a veeeeery comfortable bed, fancy tea, coffee, hot chocolate and luxury biscuits! Also had iron/ironing board and hairdryer and spacious wardrobe to hang up clothes. There was also a TV with Freeview channels and a DVD player. The bathroom was like something from the future, especially the silver panel used to flush the toilet! It has a very spacious shower, the toilet was a little uncomfortable to sit on for relatively long periods of time though as it was a bit narrow. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in!

Went down for our dinner at around 7pm (receptionist asked when we wanted to eat so they were expecting us), this was in the MC Café Bar and Grill which is on the ground floor - they also have the Michael Caines restaurant upstairs but this is shut on Sunday. Sat down to a delicious meal, we paid extra as I didn't like the look of the set menu and my partner wanted a dessert from the a la carte menu (you either order the set menu or get a £22 food allowance between the two of you), I had a rump steak with homemade chips and assorted ice cream scoops - I had coffee, vanilla and white chocolate - for dessert, they were to die for! The steak was perfectly cooked to my liking and I could have eaten a bowl of the chips by themselves. My partner had a fillet of salmon with mushroom tagliatelle and a dark chocolate tart for dessert, he thoroughly enjoyed all of it. The drinks were not too expensive for the standard of hotel - around £4 for a large glass of Rosé and £3 for a bottle of Peroni. They also had a two for £9 deal on cocktails so we had a few of these in the lounge bar which had a very nice relaxed atmosphere for after-dinner drinks. It was very quiet and we had no noises or disturbances at all during our stay and the night while we were sleeping.

Breakfast was also lovely - they had plenty of choice and continental options including cereal, yoghurts, fruit, pastries, proscuito ham and cheese and most kinds of juices you could think of, as well as the full English or other cooked options. I had some cereal, the ham and cheese and then a cooked smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, all of this was divine! My partner also had the ham and cheese, a Danish and a smoked haddock and poached eggs which he loved. We had tea and coffee brought to our table as well which was really nice and again the service was excellent, had a lovely lady checking us out who again was very happy and smiling, chatting to us.

This was a wonderful trip and the hotel is out of this world, I would definitely recommend it to anyone and we are looking to go again around June/July, it's not the cheapest but definitely worth it for the high standards.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
kings lynn
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Excellent hotel, very imprest with the decor and location (close to centre of city). Every member of the team at chester was friendly and helpful. Will have no hesitation in recomending the hotel to friends and family. It was my first visit to chester and to this hotel, and will look forward to returning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Thoroughly impressed with Abode Chester. Great location adjacent to race course but only a minute or two's walk into the city, not to mention award winning restaurants under the same roof.
The room was very clean with floor to ceiling windows, giving us views over the River Dee.
The reception staff in particular couldn't have been more helpful with our various random questions and making reservations for dinner.
Would recommend!

• Stayed January 2012
Manchester
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed at Abode Chester on Saturday night with my girlfriend for her birthday. I hadnt particularly been considering staying in Chester however a tempting deal was emailed to me from the Abode team. This included a nights stay in a comfortable room, dinner for two in the MC cafe bar along with breakfast the follwing morning all for £99.
Obviously I thought it was a great deal and booked it however I wasnt really expecting such an enjoyable stay after reading some of the other reviews on Trip advisor. Im glad to say that i think some of the negative comments for this hotel are really nit picking and possibly one oof complaints.
From booking the package to turning up at the hotel i found that the staff were extremely courteous and polite. Following a tip from another review I emailed to ask if we could possibly have a room that overlooked the racecourse. I was pleasantly surprised to be infomed upon arrival that our room had been upgraded to one of the larger desirable rooms. Admittedly I dont think the hotel was anywhere near to capacity due to the time of year but it was very nice of them to be so accomodating. The room in fact was great, very spacious with a huge comfy bed and tastefully decorated in a modern style. We also had fantastic views over the racesourse from our floor to ceiling windows on the 4th floor. My only slight criticism is the lack of a mini bar in the room however other amenities such as full sized ironing baords, irons and haridryers are all a nice touch.
We ate fairly early on the MC cafe bar so it was pretty empty but it got busier during our service. The 3 course meal that we had was extremely tasty as you'd expect from an michael caines backed establishment. We when then went our for the evening to the laugh inn which was a short taxi ride away and stumbled back around 1.00am and had more drinks in the bar on the ground floor.
Breakfast was served the next morning in Abode restaurant on the 5th floor and once again was top notch. I had the full english which wasnt overbearing and a perfect hangover cure. The only slight criticism came from my girlfriend who wanted more beans with hers, i thought the scrambled eggs were possibly the best ive ever eaten.
Overall we had a great stay at the hotel and i would reccomend people to sign up for emails from Abode and take advantage of their future offers. My impressions of Chester were average so might not return to the city but I will definitely look to stay at hotels in the Abode chain in the future

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room overlooking the racecourse.