“Value for money stay, but cold breakfast.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Abode Chester
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Holywell
“Value for money stay, but cold breakfast.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

On arriving we received a very friendly welcome. The service from start to finish was excellent.
We found he hotel was a very nice place to stay with well appointed rooms.
There were slight negatives. We were placed with a view of some offices.
The breakfast although looking cooked well was very cold. It was strange eating cold beans, black pudding, bacon and sausage. You could see and taste they were quality ingredients too.
I think we would happily return again.
Price wise it was reasonable for the quality of the location and the rooms.

Room Tip: Stipulate you want a room with a view from the outer aspect of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phillip G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Normally I travel alone but this time my wife joined me on a this trip to England/Wales. I have stayed at rather questionable hotels before in this area but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived to the Abode! Great staff, nice rooms with good enough size, fresh and modern and a great view facing the race course. We have used the front desk quite a bit, and they always help with a smile. We also visited the top floor restaurant with super nice staff, excellent food (without going over the edge of having the food too good…) and great wines!

We have used the wireless free network – with no need to log in – with absolutely no problems. In 2012 this should be true all over the world but it simply isn’t. But here it works like it should!

What else could I ask for? Well, not much. The black bathroom is stylish but I need a little more light for shaving. I can’t think of anything else!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are facing the same direction. Should not make much of a difference.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

stayed here on a conference rate which was great value, meeting room, overnight stay and dinner included, the hotel was lovely, rooms spacious and quiet. Overall the service was OK but I felt that a bit more teamwork required as it wasn't smooth. Guys bringing coffee to the meeting room were great but had to wait for someone to finish a disupte with another member of staff until I could ask for the drinks. Also rang up in advance to say I don't eat wheat or dairy but a salad would be fine for lunch and a pasta salad arrived. This also happened with dinner where my fish arrived on a bed of pasta, even though they had gone to the special effort of devising a different set menu for me, so not sure what happened there. Check in and check out was very smooth but when I tried to get someone to ring me in my room they just got told I wasn't in my room twice, so in the end they called my mobile. Overall would def recommend this hotel as very nice decor they jst need to concentrate on service. Saw some ladies having the Champagne afternoon tea and that looked fab. There's a gym there too.

Room Tip: pick a room overlooking the race course and surrounding countryside
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

Booked in at last minute. Very well equipped. Very friendly staff. Good breakfasts.

Stayed April 2012
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend break. The hotel itself is very modern, room layout and facilities very good and location to city centre within two minute walking distance. The first night we decided to eat in hotels ground floor bar,the service was not as we expected. We sat down and had to ask the bartender several times for a menu,we were waiting around 25 minutes before a waitress brought one over. We then waited at least 20 minutes before our order was taken, and this was only after I had gone over to the waitress who was chatting at the bar. When our order came my partner was given something totally different to what he had ordered,my order was supposed to be warm but arrived chilled as if it had come straight out of the fridge,although the bread looked as if it had been partially par grilled. Eventually we got our food but it was very average. All in all the service in the bar most definitely let the hotel down.
The following day, early evening we decided to try a few cocktails in the champagne bar,straight away we thought the customer service may once again let the hotel down! The bartender in the champagne bar struggled to smile and looked as if he really didn't want to be there, he made no effort whatsoever to engage with us in basic etiquette and acknowledgement, it felt like we were forcing him to go out of his way to serve us.
However we had a booking later that evening in the Michael Caine restaurant which restored our faith in the fact that the hotel can offer the customer service that it should do. The service in the restaurant was excellent, our waiter Simon was polite, attentive and made regular check backs to ensure we were happy with our meal. The kitchens were extremely busy due to short staffing and we did have to wait a little longer than normal for our meal, but this did not spoil our experience. The restaurant manager came over to apologise and brought with him a few little taster dishes to pacify our appetites, which we thought was a nice little touch. On the whole the whole experience in the restaurant was second to none. Overall a good stay and we would stay there again but would stay clear of the ground floor bar if we were eating?

Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Holimoli18
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

booked a package deal at 159 pounds for one night including parking, breakfast and 2 cousre evening meal (which we chose to take as lunch the next day,
when we arrived the staff were very professional and we had been given upgrade to 6th floor Ormonde suite which turned out to be a fantastic room with balcony and great views over Chester
these rooms have huge bathrooms and showers and small seating area.
the hotel charge £10 for 24 hr parking and is within 10 minute walk to the main shopping streets
breakfast is on the 5th floor in Micheal Caines fine dining room
choice is whatever you like and very good quality
the hotel is part of a horseshoe shaped office complex overlooking the racetrack and could feel weird as the rest of the complex are offices but this is similar to most new build hotels in busy cities and the plus point is the area is very quiet at night.
i would encourage a package stay as this offer was the same cost as a normal rack rate but with breakfast and dinner included.

all in all compared to the Grosvenor (at 280 ave per night) it was far superior albeit a short walk to the shops.
would happily recommend this to anyone staying in Chester,

Room Tip: stayed in the Ormonde suite on 6th floor which has partial views of the racetrack,if it was a normal...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed as a special occasion with my GF for my birthday. Paid £140 for a luxury room and the staff were good enough to upgrade us to a suite (thanks a lot!).

Brilliant room. Massive. Clean. State of the art tech with free wifi. Really impressed. Had a cast iron bath, wet room, and balcony with furniture on. Unbelievable. Views of te racecourse, Chester castle and the city. Staff were great too.

It's a 1 minute walk into Chester from here, parking isn't as bad as people make out but will cost you a tenner.

I actually cannot fault the place at all, would love to come back for a few days. Well done :)

• Stayed March 2012