“great”

Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“great”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

stayed here for 1 night everything was great the room was clean it had a small balcony lovely bathroom and a comfy bed. the food in the hotel is excellent a great evening meal in the cafe bar and grill and a good english breakfast in the restaurant upstairs in the morning with as much tea or coffee and toast as you wanted.. all the staff were great and pleasant. and the car parking is great and secure underneath the hotel it costs £10 and you do have to pre book because spaces are limited.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daveb36

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My wife and I booked a two night stay at The Abode in mid-May and found the overall experience enjoyable. Our room (315) was smart, clean and a good size, with a small balcony and a wonderful view overlooking the racecourse and towards the Welsh hills. The only real negative comment would be that the small shower screen, if its purpose was to keep the water within the shower, failed miserably! One further slight downside was that our room overlooked a busy road junction, with traffic noise throughout the night, making it undesirable to sleep with the window even slightly open which we prefer to do.

All of the staff were excellent, with a friendly, helpful and caring approach which made you feel that they actually enjoyed looking after guests rather than just having been trained to do so! Well done everyone.

On one of the evenings we dined in the Michael Caines Grill & Bar Restaurant (no connection with the actor of a similar name!). Although the menu choice was a somewhat limited, the meal was good and reasonably priced.

With such a good overall experience it is a pity that things were slightly marred by one or two 'hiccups' which were that the 'English' breakfast didn't include a cereal (a first-time experience for us!) and there is a £10 per night charge for parking your car in the underground car park, generally the reserve of central London hotels! This was further exacerbated by the fact that on the first night the hotel car park was full and we were obliged to park in a nearby local authority parking space!

The final 'spoiler' was that we learned there was a "discretionary" 12 1/2% gratuity charge on the bill which we felt was not only a little top-heavy but should be left to individual guests, to tip whatever they wish in accordance with the quality of service received.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RichMag1
Mobberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I stayed her with my boyfriend in March when we had the horrendous snow. The hotel was easy enough to find. The room was lovely with a view over the race course and a balcony although it was a little cold to use. The bathroom had the most enormous shower. The bed was extremely comfortable and room was to a high standard. I was recommend this to friends and family and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen R
Ilkley, England
Reviewed 11 May 2013

The Abode is a lovely boutique hotel overlooking the Chester race course however I missed 2 races trying to find the hotel and its car park. Firstly my sat nav took me around Chester a few times so I had to call the hotel and they directed me back to a glass building on a roundabout that looks like offices, it would make life easier if they had a sign that can be seen easily as you approach it from Manchester. I then had to call again to find out where the car park was as once again it is poorly signposted so ended up going around the one way system again. I then had to call again to get to the right entrance for the car park and for them to open the gates. To make matters worse when I suggested to reception they should make the hotel easier to find by better signposting they agreed and said some customers do find it hard to find....what is the point of customer feedback and taking no action? Had a great nights sleep in a very very comfy bed so forgot about the day before fiasco until I arrived for Breakfast this morning to find I had to wait 10 mins even though there were plenty of empty tables and lots of staff. So in summary a super hotel in a great location (if you can find it!!!) and they need to sort managing the Breakfast service out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank rossandsam
AbodeChester, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear Ross and Sam

Thank you for your feedback, we have tried to make the direction to the hotel as clear as possible from our website http://www.abodehotels.co.uk/chester/map-and-directions, a sign post requires planning consent which has unfortunately not been granted.

On the morning you visited us, we experienced a large number of people who came for breakfast before you arrived and the team was relying tables as the guest had left. I am sorry for the delay you have encountered and we will look at improving this situation.

I am glad you enjoyed the quality of your sleep and look forward to welcome you back at ABode Chester. Please do contact me directly and I will organise everything for you.

Yours Sincerely

Christophe Hesbert
gmchester@abodehotels.co.uk
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I made our second trip to this hotel, it had been so good the first time. We were pleasantly surprised that they remembered our last visit and the facilities we required and booked us in the same room which was fabulous. We had on our previous visit ate at their Michael Caine Restaurant as a treat and it was lovely. This time we stayed we booked the Bar and Grill which did not disappoint, lovely food, great service and atmosphere, also very reasonable. Great position, next to racecourse and for walk along river, also very near shops.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan S
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently just for a night away with my mrs!
The two younger ladies on reception were very friendly and helpful considering I can be rather awkward at times! Check in was fast and efficient and I was offered an upgrade for an extra tenner! It was a treat for us so I decided to go for it! (My mrs gave me the look) A "desirable" room I believe! It was just that! Very desirable! A large bed and a big window overlooking the welsh hills and the chester race course! I'm not really a bath guy (more a shower) but my mrs loved that too!
Dined in the grill and can't fault our experience! Wasn't too busy so we felt like a king and queen!
All of the staff were lovely during our stay! Don't live far but will definitely stay again when we need to treat ourselves.. As you do from time to time! Thank you ever so much!

• Stayed April 2013
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this rather unusual hotel for one night on business. I say unusual because this hotel is entirely oriented to the horse racing crowd. The entrance is tacky with an outside smoking den and cheap chairs, obviously orientated to racing spectators at the race course next door, spoil arrival. Check in was unimpressive but my room was lovely. The decor great and the bed and bathroom fabulous. A dressing gown and some free mineral water would have been normally provided in rooms of this price at other hotels and would have been very welcome. However, the coffee filters were superb and bathroom toiletries perfect.

However, Breakfast was terrible. A very, very basic buffet, appalling coffee and disengaged service.

This hotel has good rooms but is let down by breakfast and some of the staff.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank francophileonthemove
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback, we do offer complimentary Bathrobes on request, next time you come and stay with us, contact me directly, I will organise your stay for you and make sure the dressing gowns are in your room before you arrive.

I look forward to welcome you at ABode Chester again soon

Yours Sincerely