“Great Hotel, just check your booking before you turn up !”
Review of ABode Chester

ABode Chester
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Isle Of Man
“Great Hotel, just check your booking before you turn up !”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked this hotel on-line as a surprise for the wife for her birthday and booked to stay two nights. As my wife hadn't seen her mother for a while, and it was her birthday weekend, I rang the hotel a couple of weeks later to see if I could book an additional room for my mother-in-law to stay at the hotel for 1 night. Both bookings were confirmed to me (as I was paying for both) via email and both had a separate on-line concierge reference page (allowing me to upgrade rooms, change bookings, etc., should I need to do so). So far, so good. Unfortunately, on the day we arrived (after a pretty stressful morning following a lack of availability of hire cars at the airport and rushing around to pick up my mother-in-law who was subsequently stranded in North Wales due to my delay in getting hold of a car) we eventually turned up at the hotel with relevant booking forms in hand only to be told that my original booking had been cancelled ! Apparently the subsequent booking made for the mother-in-law for 1 night had replaced my original booking for myself and my wife (for 2 nights) ! All a bit annoying, especially as this hadn't been requested by me and nothing was mentioned on my email confirmations or on the on-line concierge pages ! Despite this set back, reception did manage to find us a comparable room in the hotel to the one that I had originally booked, although I get the felling that if it had been the following weekend (when the Chester Races were on) I think myself and the better half would have been sleeping in the car or on the floor ! All in all, this is a fantastic hotel with very helpful and friendly staff in a great location. Just make sure that if you want to add any more guests, rooms or nights to your stay, make sure that you confirm this with the hotel before you turn up to save any grief.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Newtown
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Everything about our stay from start to finish was great. Service, food, room, cleanliness all top notch. The underground car parking was an added bonus as it was raining as we left!
Well done Abode and team...my kind of hotel!

1 Thank Laura A
Cardiff
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. The access by car is excellent, the safe underground parking a bonus in this mainly pedestrian city so the £10 charge is reasonable. The hotel is next to the start of the Roman city walls walk and close to the city centre. Top and highly commendable is the friendly service in every area : reception, bar, restaurant. The room is comfortable and we had upgraded on arrival to a room with a balcony ;this was a good decision as the weather was fine for 2 of the days. The room was serviced beautifully every morning. The heating/ air conditioning was working well and not noisy. We had 3 good night sleep. We had chosen a room with a large walk in shower in preference to a bath . It was a perfect stay. We ate in the restaurant and the food is excellent ; I wrote a review on the restaurant .

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We checked in on a Sunday and had been told on the phone we would most likely be able to check in early, however upon arrival an hour early this was not possible. This was no problem the hotel is ideally located to walk round Chester town centre. The room was very disappointing, very small and small bed and the only water available in the room was £1.75 for a warm bottle. We had upgraded for a £20 a night charge to a desirable room so can only imagine a comfortable is anything but. We did get to choose from a balcony or a bath!! We chose a balcony room which turned out to be a 2 by 9 ft space, let's just say it was small. The room was very clean and the bathroom was large with a lovely big shower. The gym was very clean, lovely techno gym equipment but very hot as no air con. Breakfast was good, very small portions and they had run out of some juices, the continental section could do have done with replenishing when we arrived at 9am. All in all ideally located for town and for the races but not so could for a romantic break. We chose not to stay our 2nd night and booked a different hotel, rooms just too small and we looked out over the main road.

Room Tip: Think you would need to upgrade to the best rooms, others on TA seem to have been upgraded, we did a...
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Fantastic hotel with helpful and friendly staff. Location is perfect for walking into town and the view of the race course is lovely! Made a special effort for my partners birthday giving us a room with a view and a birthday card for him. Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Leeds
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Fantastic hotel, my husband booked this for two nights for our first year anniversary. My husband had proposed to me in Chester and this was a really nice touch, the hotel had cocktails, chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine waiting for us. The room was spacious, comfy beds, nice shower and toiletries in the wash area. It is a little out of the centre so you have to walk but it isn’t far took us about 10 mins to get into the town. However my husband had booked this as he was taking me to Chester races on one of the day and the racecourse is right next door to the hotel. I think the hotel is a little pricey, but you get for what you pay. Lastly it has a car park underneath and a lift that takes you straight up to the reception.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hinckley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I travel less than I used to for work and when I do now, it seems to be that I travel in the UK. Not that the UK doesn't have exciting cities; it does, but... well... they aren't as exciting as cities hidden behind the customs desk of a more exotic country!

Be that as it may, Chester is one of the nicer cities in the UK and coming to Chester on business is hardly a hardship (unless you travel by train, but that's another story). I was in town for two days on business and needed an overnight stay. My colleagues, who had the good sense to book earlier, managed to find a good rate at the Grosvenor, which I understand to be lovely. I was too late for the special price and so with some disappointment I booked into the Abode, expecting a plain eurohotel. And while in many ways that's exactly what it is, it does it very well.

Check in was quick and easy - no nonsense. The staff were friendly and welcoming and I was not rushed. The bar is atmospheric and quiet, the selection of beer (which I most definitely needed by the time I had got to the hotel!!!) was very good and it was a nice place to be.

I can't cast comment as to the different classes of rooms, but mine was in the centre of the building overlooking a courtyard in the middle. It could have been a better view.... It could have been much worse. The room was very large for what I paid and the room was clean, well furnished and very pleasant. Everything had that new feel to it and it was relaxing. I ate at the restaurant upstairs, which I have been thoughtful enough to review and was reasonably impressed.

The price for me was £79 for the night, that included breakfast. The service was very good, the room was very large, clean and comfortable and the atmosphere was nice and calm. I have paid a lot more to stay at hotels an awful lot worse than this and so for the price paid, given that it is a five minute walk from the town centre, is very good.

I want to try the Grosvenor when I go next, but if it isn't available at the special price, I will have no problem at all staying here again. I recommend it.

Room Tip: The courtyard rooms which overlook the central seating area are large and airy, I enjoyed mine.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business