“Weekend Break”
Review of ABode Chester

ABode Chester
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Excellent location with free parking on site, large luxury suite with fantastic view of the City... Huge bed and bathroom, plenty of room to relax.... Staff were very helpful and friendly. Next time we visit Chester we will be staying at the ABode Chester :)

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Philip N, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2015

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit at ABode Chester.

ABode Chester prides itself on excellent customer service so I am therefore incredibly pleased you have enjoyed your stay.

I hope you will visit ABode Chester in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you would like to return and I will make sure you are well looked after.

I am available via email or through the main hotel number should you wish to discuss future bookings.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is in a great position for visiting the City and the Racecourse, both are within easy walking distance. Our room was clean and spacious as were the public areas of the hotel. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed that we have ever slept in.

However the hotel lacked a level of professionalism that we would have expected for an establishment of this standing.

We booked a one night stay on a dinner/bed breakfast rate pus £10 for use of the underground car park. The email confirmation of our booking quoted the rate for the night but did not mention the fact that it included dinner or that we had booked a parking space. It would have been useful to receive a fully documented confirmation with information on how to access the car park on arrival.

When we checked in were given the key card to our room. On opening the bedroom door we found suitcases and personal effects in the room. Yes, we had been the wrong room and worse still a key card that opened someone else's room.

At dinner we dined in the Bar and Grille and we were advised that our room rate included food from the Market Menu but we could pick from the full menu at additional cost. That is fair enough but beware there are only three choices for each course on the Market Menu. The hotel also adds a service charge for meals taken on a fixed rate booking!

We ordered a bottle of Merlot from the wine list. "I'm sorry that bottle is not available, I'll get you another wine list".

We both fancied the apple crumble and custard. " I'm sorry we ran out of crumble last night and we have not had another delivery yet". Bear in mind that we were one of only two occupied tables that evening and the kitchen staff could not make a crumble!

Breakfast was good. It was nice to have a cooked meal served to the table rather than buffet style. The hot food however seemed to have been kept warm i.e. it was buffet style but served from the kitchen and not really cooked to order.

At check out we paid our bill and left. No one bothered to ask if we had had a nice stay or bid us a good journey.

Come on Abode you can do better than this.

1  Thank Pasimul
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I remember the days in catering colleges when the public were guinea pigs and had to put up with amateurish students serving food. Our dinner here brought memories flooding back. Food? Well executed, but portions on the small side of nouveau cuisine. Drinks? Cocktails took an absolute age to be mixed and served, even though we were the only customers in the bar area, the young bar man really was no expert in his craft, and at the price, he damn well should have been!
Service again was amateurish, with a giggly girl stumbling over her 'memorised' statements of fare.,A comment that surfaced afterwards was that there was no obvious maître 'd to make us feel looked after......all in all a rather shallow dining experience.
Oh , I almost forgot, it was a special evening and I asked for a window table, not a problem was the reply.....BUT they don't have window tables for four, only twos, why not say so at the time of booking? It wouldn't have been a deal breaker, but it would have avoided disapointment

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dalestreet
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night, with two friends and all four of us really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is perfectly located for Chester, the rooms clean and spacious with lovely bathrooms. All the staff we met were really friendly and helpful. The downstairs bar was the perfect place to end the evening and the fifth floor dining room provided an excellent breakfast with great views. We will certainly stay here again next time we all meet up.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a really pleasant hotel with welcoming, professional staff. The restaurant was exceptional - we had booked a weekday deal, but upgraded the restaurant meal to A la carte, and were certainly not disappointed. Every course was superb. Overlooking the racecourse, it's an excellent base for exploring the beautiful city of Chester, and we definitely intend to return!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Walking distance from Chester town center, a very pleasant place to come back to in the evenings. Surprisingly large room for a British hotel, with a bright, airy and spacious feel to it. Modern fittings and furnishings, the place looks very smart.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014

It's an average hotel and for business men on a single night stay I wouldn't recommend this hotel, gym is tiny with about 6-8 pieces of equipment to use.
Overall I found the staff un welcolming on reception and didn't care when an issue was raised

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matthew C

Dear Guest

ABode Chester prides itself on excellent customer service so I am therefore incredibly disappointed that we did not meet or indeed exceed your expectations.

I sincerely hope that these incidents have not discouraged you from visiting ABode Chester in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you would like to return and I will make sure you are well looked after.

I am available via email or through the main hotel number should you wish to discuss this matter further.