2,379 results
All reviews race course champagne bar michael caines restaurant desirable room enviable room floor to ceiling windows fifth floor underground parking lovely hotel eggs benedict city centre per night reception staff walk in shower special occasion standard room huge bed
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Not worth the money. The room is nice and spacious and very clean. The shower is terrible - such low pressure it’s hard to get wet!
The breakfast at the brasserie is painfully slow and the food Luke warm when it arrives.
Good location for shopping on town.

Date of stay: December 2018
CraigPhillips88, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear ChristopherWilliamE,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide me with your feedback.

I'm very happy to read you enjoyed our room but would like to apologise for the pressure of the shower which is being looked into by our maintenance department.

I would also like to apologise for the breakfast service and food not being to standard which will be addressed with both the Brasserie and Kitchen.

Please do not hesitate to make contact on your next visit to the ABode Chester.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was our fourth visit to the Abode and it will possibly be our last. Each of our previous visits have been really good value with excellent facilities, comfortable well appointed rooms, great food and really good service. However this time the restaurant has really let the side down, the service we received was poor to say the least. We prebooked a table for four two days before our stay, on arrival at our booked time we where shown to a table slotted right into a corner with very limited access, this in it's self did not present any problem to any of our party but made it impossible for any of the waiting staff to present any food to the setting positioned in the corner without leaning completely across another diners space, this would not have been a great problem had the waiting staff attempted to serve the inaccessible corner first but they repeatedly placed their food down first then proceeded to stretch across and over the plates of food already on the table. Having ordered battered cod and chips I asked if I might have some vinegar to accompany my meal, the waiter returned witha mini milk churn,that is used for serving breakfast milk, half full of vinegar which was impossible to use without totally soaking the meal in vinegar.Things got worse at breakfast time ! Having ordered two full English breakfasts , one to exclude tomatoes and blackpudding, the two ordered breakfasts duly, arrived, one had no tomatoes and the other had no blackpudding , just as the waiter was about to place the one with blackpudding down on the table he mistakenly thought that it should have been on the other plate and bizarrely picked it up with his fingers and stated" sorry sir this shouldn't be on this plate " I corrected him and told him that my breakfast should have had black pudding on the plate, at that point he placed it back on my Plate and walked off. The room was the usual high standard but this time the service in the restaurant let the experience down

2  Thank R605KXgaryw

Dear R605KXgaryw,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide me with your recent experience at the ABode Chester.

I am shocked and sincerely disappointed to read your comments about the service you received in our Brasserie. I would like to reassure this isn't our normal standards as you are already aware of after staying three times before. This has been addressed with my Brasserie manager to ensure this is a one off situation.

Again i cannot apologise enough for this so if you do choose to come back to the ABode in the near future, please make contact and i will ensure you are well looked after.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed on the dinner, bed and breakfast package for my wife’s birthday. This was great value as all meals were really good. Much prefer a breakfast cooked to order. Room was a bit small but warm and comfortable with a nice view over the castle. Good size shower room with quality “stuff.”
Check in was quick and easy as was checkout. Dining room is classy and service excellent.
Two issues which, had they been resolved quicker, would have made it even better. When I rang to book dinner, I mentioned it was my wife’s birthday. Whoever took the call said they would respond to that over dinner. However, on arrival, the receptionist had no record of our dinner booking, never mind the birthday. Nothing happened. When I mentioned this at check out, the receptionist responded with “Well, what did you expect?” I just looked at her speechless. Nothing like good customer relations. The other issue was at breakfast. I enjoyed this but after asking for two fried eggs, only one came and it was hard. I asked for it to be replaced but nothing happened. I asked again and one well cooked egg turned up, again, minor but mildly irritating when your looking to stay in an outstanding hotel.
Like the place, tho’ and would go again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
CraigPhillips88, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Lefko,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I am happy to hear you found your stay great value for money, but i would like to apologise for the issues you have mentioned in your feedback and do hope this does not stop you from booking again in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I quite fancied the Abode as it wasn't a big chain and felt like it would be quite special weekend away.

I was really disappointed that this was the case. Firstly the hotel has quite limited parking, the building shares the underground parking with different organisations with a small amount of set spaces. Weekday travellers might have an issue with this. We were able to park in another organisation's parking space but this wasn't clear this would be ok until we checked in which caused a bit of unnecessary stress.

The check in was brief and not exactly warm. The reception in the room is pretty cool with pictures of Tina Turner and a few different divas - that doesnt go to the rooms. Less rock and roll more drab.

The view from the room was fine, even on the first floor. The room was an ok size but it was completely tired. The mattress needed replaced asap, it was beyond soft and not in a good way. The bed seemed buckle slightly which was a bit scary. We both slept terribly.

Overall the facilities in room were underwhelming given the price. The TV was from about 1999, absolutely tiny and had a bizarre tv unit underneath it. If you want to join the early 2000s there's a dvd player for the dvd's that you carry about with you at all times. The room needed a new carpet, it wasn't dirty just worn. The bathroom was ok but the curtains were absolutely manky, unsure about the white stains that were on them but I wasnt going near them.

The bathroom was under utilised, the products a bit cheap and the towels have definitely seen better days. The hotel provided a mini bar on a tray which was ridiculously expensive and a bit gross. So disappointing given that at another hotel we stayed at recently provided a tuck box which was replenished every day free of charge. The phone was from the 90s, a used postcard instead of paper and a cheap pencil. It was a bit bizarre and for a hotel that seems to have such a strong brand identity it wasnt transported to the rooms.

This hotel has a good central location but if you're considering it save yourself £50 a night and go to the Crowne Plaza. I loved Chester but I wouldnt go back to this place if they paid me.

Room tip: Don't bother.

Dear Alistair R,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide me with your feedback about your recent visit.

In regards to parking we advertise this as first come first serve and also suggests an alternative car park across the road if ours is full, but i do apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We have taken your feedback on board in regards to the room and this will be investigated.

I do hope this hasn't put you off in returning and with this in mind please make contact with myself next time you are looking to stay in Chester and i will make sure you are well looked after on your next visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Sunday Night Saver was good value.
This included Dinner for two plus Bed and Full English Breakfast.
The bedroom was good with a nice view.
The Dinner was very tasty but spoilt by the hard roast potatoes which appeared to have been warmed up.
The breakfast was excellent with cooked to perfection poached eggs.
All the staff were very friendly.

Room tip: Room with a view.

Dear JAAJ17,

I'm very pleased to read you had an enjoyable time with us.

Your feedback about the roast potatoes has been passed to our Executive head chef, who will pick this up with his team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the ABode Chester in the near future.