2,408 results
All reviews race course champagne bar desirable room michael caines enviable room floor to ceiling windows fifth floor underground parking lovely hotel eggs benedict city centre per night reception staff walk in shower full english standard room huge bed
Reviewed 5 December 2018

This is the email I sent to the ABode and to their head office, I have had no reply!
I am emailing you to complain about the terrible service we received on Sunday 25th November during breakfast at the Abode Chester.
I was travelling with a party of 6 staying for 1 night in Chester (ROOM 201 - a lovely room). I went to Breakfast on my own at approximately 8.45 explained I was with a party of 6 and although I would wait for the others for breakfast could I have some toast and coffee in the meantime. The restaurant was very busy at the time, however I received my toast, pat of butter and coffee quickly.
Unfortunately after this, when the restaurant was much quieter, in fact less than half full, it all went downhill.
When the remainder of my party arrived they ordered tea/coffee and toast whilst perusing the breakfast menu, this took 15 minutes to arrive with no butter, no milk for the tea or coffee and no spoons, after eventually catching a member of staff’s eye as they seem to all be on a break we were told it would be brought immediately, 10 minutes later, still no butter, milk or spoons! We eventually took them off another table and had to put up with plastic tubs of margarine from the buffet. I also ordered another coffee, which never arrived after repeated requests.
We ordered our cooked breakfast which arrived 15 minutes later, it was obviously ready much sooner than this and had been standing under a heater for quite some time, the poached eggs were hard as were the baked beans and the bacon was tough as it had been standing.
I asked an extremely unpleasant women dressed in black, so presumed she was in charge, to explain why the service was so terrible she said it was because they had “so many checks” and it was a busy time as everyone came down at the same time, I disagreed with her as the room was half empty and lacking in any staff and that she herself has spent most of the time doing absolutely nothing except daydreaming and chatting to another waitress who ignored all our attempts to attract her attention until I had to, eventually, shout across the room and asked to speak to the person in charge who she called Alex.
A man did eventually come to our table, presumably “Alex” dressed in a dirty, shiny blue suit with rips in the under crotch area, not very pleasant at all! He couldn’t offer any apology or explanation as to why the service and food were so poor. We were not the only people to complain as the table next to us were having the same problems.
Having wasted enough time and not getting anywhere I decided to put my complaints in writing, I didn't get a reply or acknowledgement, extremely bad manners!

1  Thank happyholslady
Reviewed 4 December 2018

I have stayed at the ABode in Chester with my boyfriend on more than one occasion and we have always had a lovely time. Food, staff and rooms are fantastic - would highly recommend to anyone looking for somewhere to stay near the City Centre.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
CraigPhillips88, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2018

Dear Jellie132,

Thank you for your lovely feedback.

I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your room, food and the service from the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 December 2018 via mobile

Not worth the money. The room is nice and spacious and very clean. The shower is terrible - such low pressure it’s hard to get wet!
The breakfast at the brasserie is painfully slow and the food Luke warm when it arrives.
Good location for shopping on town.

Date of stay: December 2018
CraigPhillips88, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2018

Dear ChristopherWilliamE,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide me with your feedback.

I'm very happy to read you enjoyed our room but would like to apologise for the pressure of the shower which is being looked into by our maintenance department.

I would also like to apologise for the breakfast service and food not being to standard which will be addressed with both the Brasserie and Kitchen.

Please do not hesitate to make contact on your next visit to the ABode Chester.

Reviewed 25 November 2018

This was our fourth visit to the Abode and it will possibly be our last. Each of our previous visits have been really good value with excellent facilities, comfortable well appointed rooms, great food and really good service. However this time the restaurant has really let the side down, the service we received was poor to say the least. We prebooked a table for four two days before our stay, on arrival at our booked time we where shown to a table slotted right into a corner with very limited access, this in it's self did not present any problem to any of our party but made it impossible for any of the waiting staff to present any food to the setting positioned in the corner without leaning completely across another diners space, this would not have been a great problem had the waiting staff attempted to serve the inaccessible corner first but they repeatedly placed their food down first then proceeded to stretch across and over the plates of food already on the table. Having ordered battered cod and chips I asked if I might have some vinegar to accompany my meal, the waiter returned witha mini milk churn,that is used for serving breakfast milk, half full of vinegar which was impossible to use without totally soaking the meal in vinegar.Things got worse at breakfast time ! Having ordered two full English breakfasts , one to exclude tomatoes and blackpudding, the two ordered breakfasts duly, arrived, one had no tomatoes and the other had no blackpudding , just as the waiter was about to place the one with blackpudding down on the table he mistakenly thought that it should have been on the other plate and bizarrely picked it up with his fingers and stated" sorry sir this shouldn't be on this plate " I corrected him and told him that my breakfast should have had black pudding on the plate, at that point he placed it back on my Plate and walked off. The room was the usual high standard but this time the service in the restaurant let the experience down

2  Thank R605KXgaryw

Dear R605KXgaryw,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide me with your recent experience at the ABode Chester.

I am shocked and sincerely disappointed to read your comments about the service you received in our Brasserie. I would like to reassure this isn't our normal standards as you are already aware of after staying three times before. This has been addressed with my Brasserie manager to ensure this is a one off situation.

Again i cannot apologise enough for this so if you do choose to come back to the ABode in the near future, please make contact and i will ensure you are well looked after.

Reviewed 22 November 2018

Stayed on the dinner, bed and breakfast package for my wife’s birthday. This was great value as all meals were really good. Much prefer a breakfast cooked to order. Room was a bit small but warm and comfortable with a nice view over the castle. Good size shower room with quality “stuff.”
Check in was quick and easy as was checkout. Dining room is classy and service excellent.
Two issues which, had they been resolved quicker, would have made it even better. When I rang to book dinner, I mentioned it was my wife’s birthday. Whoever took the call said they would respond to that over dinner. However, on arrival, the receptionist had no record of our dinner booking, never mind the birthday. Nothing happened. When I mentioned this at check out, the receptionist responded with “Well, what did you expect?” I just looked at her speechless. Nothing like good customer relations. The other issue was at breakfast. I enjoyed this but after asking for two fried eggs, only one came and it was hard. I asked for it to be replaced but nothing happened. I asked again and one well cooked egg turned up, again, minor but mildly irritating when your looking to stay in an outstanding hotel.
Like the place, tho’ and would go again.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
CraigPhillips88, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2018

Dear Lefko,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I am happy to hear you found your stay great value for money, but i would like to apologise for the issues you have mentioned in your feedback and do hope this does not stop you from booking again in the future.