2,397 results
All reviews race course champagne bar desirable room michael caines enviable room floor to ceiling windows fifth floor underground parking lovely hotel eggs benedict city centre per night reception staff walk in shower full english standard room huge bed
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed here again for our wedding anniversary...and we were given s room upgrad, for which we were grateful Pleasant meal and wine in the restaurant with friendly and quality service, and a particularly good breakfast. We hope to return next year

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 30.12.2018 with my boyfriend.

Very clean, comfortable rooms.

Bar on the top floor was nice and good for cocktails.

Location ideal for shopping, sight-seeing in Chester city centre and right next to the racecourse.

Overall excellent stay for the price.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
CraigPhillips88, General Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear HB1995,

Thank you for your lovely feedback about your recent stay.

I am very please you had an enjoyable time with us and you had an excellent stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We booked multiple rooms for my daughters wedding, guests coming from all over. I decided to take a ‘fabulous’ suite, I’m paying for a wedding so might as well take a good room. I was here 4 days. Our room was large but although it had a sort of view over the racecourse there was the other side of the building in the way and you could only see a bit of the course. There was a sound bar with the tv but it was there for show, it didn’t work at all. My wife wanted a bathrobe but when she called for one because there wasn’t one apparently they had ‘run out’. We are in the most expensive room in the hotel. One never appeared during the 4 days.

The room was on the top floor but was over the restaurant kitchen. This meant at 6am we started hearing the crashing and banging in the kitchen, it was sufficiently loud to wake me on 3 of 4 nights. On top of that there was a frequent humm from the extractors or some other air conditioning unit. Lots of noise seems to vibrate through the building, others staying in the hotel noticed this. On the night after the wedding they put the mother of the bride in a room next to some sort of generator that kept her awake all night, another member of our party had similar noise.

On the second morning we were waiting for delivery of 2 minibuses for a trip. I went to get my coat from my car in the car park and noticed them there. When I went back to reception and asked they had the keys. We had 14 people milling around the small reception for 40 mins discussing the lack of our minibuses and they didn’t think to mention they had the keys.

Breakfast on the morning of the wedding I, as father of the bride and the person who had filled 20 or so rooms for them, had to wait an hour for a breakfast that was cold on arrival. On the first morning, despite the crashing and banging in the kitchen. they didn’t have the porridge I would have liked, apparently they had run out.

Additionaly they charge £10 a night for parking, even if you are in the most expensive room in the hotel.

Overall I don’t feel the staff were bad, they were just poorly trained and didn’t show any initiative. The building just transmits noise so all rooms are noisy in my parties’ experience. The less expensive rooms are small and the description that you have a view of the racecourse though technically correct is misleading, it’s not the spectacular vista you would expect, more a sighting of some of it. I really cannot recommend this hotel, it’s just nowhere near the standard the price suggests.

Room tip: Don’t believe they have a proper view of the racecourse and asking for a quiet one is a waste of thine, they don’t appear to have one.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
CraigPhillips88, Manager at ABode Chester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Mikesalter,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with you feedback about your recent experience.

I am deeply disappointed and sorry we have let you down.

Your feedback has all been taken on-board and shared with the team so that we can work towards making improvements to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future.

Again I would like to thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Have stayed here many times but unfortunately will not return . Standards have dropped . First impression dried vomit by the front door being there for some time . First room stank of smoke second vanity unit blocked a hot tap spat out hot water .
New year dinner disaster veg meal never arrived husbands stone cold . Two waiters catering for about 80 people service disgraceful . Complained at the time but night ruined. Spoke with manager in the morning who refunded meal a gave £50 back but new year a disaster . Need to get there act together was a nice hotel but now lacking in every way

Dear Tilly1210,

Many thanks for your feedback about your experience on New Year's Eve.

I am deeply sorry for the mistake with the vegetarian meal as this was due to human error which I can only apologise for.

I am aware our reception manager did resolve this situation with you on check-out so it is such a shame you have left this review as you said you felt the issues with the meal was resolved by the kind gesture offered to apologise for this on check-out.

We do hope this doesn't stop you from returning in the future and if you do wish to, please do not hesitate to make contact with me so that I can make sure you are well looked after.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I visited this hotel in June 2018 and thought it was outstanding so booked to go back on the 2nd January 2019 to see the Wizard of Oz in Storyhouse and for a date with my other half.
Firstly, the room was absolutely beautiful and clean. We checked in early as the theatre show started at 2pm. We were offered a wonderful room with a beautiful race course view. And we were actually booked via the Black Friday deal which was incredible. However, last time I remember there being plenty of toiletries. We actually saw the cleaning trolley upon leaving with shampoo, conditioner, body wash and moisturiser. We however, were given a tiny body wash and just shampoo and soap for hands. I thought this was poor. Luckily we brought our own toiletries but that’s not the point, all of the essentials should have been there.
We didn’t eat in the restaurant in the evening this time, but in June it was lovely but a little overpriced. As for the receptionists, they were amazing and faultless as they let us leave our baggage behind reception so we could have a walk before catching our train home after checkout.

We had drinks in the bar on the night of the 2nd and they were lovely. Again, quite pricey but nice.

Now, breakfast in June was honestly 5* however, on this occasion (January), I was actually shocked and would only give it probably 2*. Firstly, the buffet part is continental and had plenty of choice howeve we were asked if we wanted toast. I’ve been to some cheap cafes for breakfast and always been given 2x slices of toast each, yet we were only given 1 each so we ordered more to go with my other half’s full English and my smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, yet it didn’t come. I’m gluten free and the extra slice came... 20 minutes after we finished our breakfast!!! Even though the breakfast tasted nice, my scrambled eggs were cold, as was my pot of tea. The full English according to my other half was lovely however, the menu stated it came with sweet potato hash and it didn’t. Nobody seemed to be having these either. The waiters and waitresses seemed a little peeved every time you requested something and someone on the table next to us ordered tea but was presented with a coffee. Could have been because we came down at 9 for breakfast but, I feel the service was poor at times. Also one of the bananas was black inside and I had to go and get another. However, the choice of juices, milks and fruit etc was lovely. But definitely a better experience of breakfast in June than in January. There is plenty of choice though and it was tasty overall.

I would in conclusion, recommend this hotel, it’s in a stunning location, good for the racecourse, city centre, Hanbridge, plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, the walls, cathedral and everything. Also excellent rail and bus links. I would return definitely.