“Highly recommended”

and 1 more site!
The Commercial Bar & Hotel
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 1 April 2013

From the moment we walked in, we knew that we weren't going to be disappointed... We were met with a very friendly welcome from James, who was very informative and helpful in advising us that if we wanted to eat out, we would probably need to make a reservation and he would do that for us if we wished...
We were taken to our rooms ( Shelley & Coleridge) which were both lovely.. Very clean and comfortable, and had everything we needed and more, all furnishings were lovely, and I think, the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in..!
The bathroom was very spacious, with wonderful underfloor heating. Great shower, bath and double sinks.
We enjoyed a few drinks in the bar before retiring, and liked the fact that there was a complete cross section of age groups.
Yes, there was music playing, which we knew about, but it didn't prevent us having a good nights sleep.. I suppose it might for a light sleeper...?!!
In summary, I would highly recommend this hotel, and I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when we visit Chester again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Wow James what a fabulous review thank you so much.
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that my Manager James was accommodating to your requirements. I think the most important part of staying away from home is to have a good bed to relax in and our bathrooms never seem to disappoint.
We look forward to your next visit and if we can make any dinner reservations for you in advance please do not hesitate to contact us directly.
Kind Regards Rebecca

There are newer reviews for The Commercial Bar & Hotel

Reviewed 25 March 2013

what started as just a quick pint, quickly turned into all afternoon and all evening until closing time! the bar is relatively quiet during a Saturday afternoon, but once 8pm rolls around the bar is heaving with an excellent atmosphere. next time your passing, pop in for a pint of their japanese lager and see what happens!!

Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear Steve. Thank you for taking time to write a review on the bar. I must say you did very well to stay as long as you did if you were drinking the Kirin! We party every Friday and Saturday and look forward to seeing you again. Best wishes Rebecca

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed here following a days shopping and before a birthday meal out in the evening. We have stayed in Chester many times, but did not know this hotel was there! We had a very friendly welcome, a double g and t in the bar area, then were shown to our very spacious and clean room. Bathroom was one of the best ever! Deep, spotlessly clean bath and warm towels, robes etc. separate lounge area with sofa was great to drop all the bags and chill. The bed was comfy and the bedroom was spacious and clean too. Breakfast was great, hot and freshly cooked to Oder with as much coffee and tea as we could drink. I suspect the hotel would be noisy at the weekends but that is clearly noted on the hotel description. We stayed on a Monday so was peaceful.we will be going back.

Room Tip: Book the suite with the lounge area if it is available. Great bathroom!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sianiemc

Thank you for such a detailed review. As like many people who visit Chester you don't know we are here unless you stumble across us or read a lovely review like yours and decide to try us.
Mid week as you know is a good time to visit, the bar's are not noisy, we're in a perfect location to explore Chester and the rooms are comfortable to relax in after a hard days shopping/walking.
It's great to hear you'll be returning and we look forward to seeing you again.
Kind regards Rebecca

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Stayed in the Byron Suit and it was worth every penny. We booked via laterooms and got an extremely good deal. Lovely rooms, extra large bath which was lush and lovely extra touches. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2013
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Byron Suite and look forward to welcoming you to The Commercial again. Kind Regards Rebecca

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Friendly service, flexible, accommodating and laid back staff, and the best Kir Royales in Cheshire. A trendy hotspot for locals with its music nicely blending in with literary references in for the rooms; the music didn't spoil my sleep and the bed and bathrooms made it joyous...will visit again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Jocelyn, Thank you for your review. It was lovely to hear that you found the staff so accommodating, they are a great team and really enjoy their work. We pride ourselves on the cocktails we serve and have a dedicated cocktail bar on the first floor where we hold our cocktail classes.
Like yourself we have a lot of people stay over even though they live quite close to Chester, it sometimes works out cheaper than getting a taxi home! If you fancy another night in Chester do not hesitate to contact us again to check availability.
Best wishes Rebecca

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Having been a frequent visitor to the historic City of Chester ,on business and pleasure . I booked a weekend stay at The Commercial Inn through Late rooms .Having read the reviews and advice prior to booking I was looking forward to the short stay ! I wasn't left disappointed .
Firstly the welcome from the Manageress ,Rebecca was so warming and left me feeling like I'd known her for ages !!
Her local knowledge and advice was so valuable from giving tips on the cheapest parking spots to where to find the best curry house !! As for the staff , they were all courteous and trained well in the fields of hospitality . My room was called " Wordsworth " and as I unpacked and glanced through the curtains into the courtyard of ancient sandstone buildings it actually felt like I had been transported into a time of cobble stones and cart horses clattering through the streets of Chester .
The room was surprisingly lovely ,the bed spacious and well made . The bathroom was a pure delight after spending a full day shopping those body jets in the walk in shower certainly reach the parts that need waking up ! Great power shower .
Thanks to Rebecca's advice I found an amazing Indian in City Road and after ended up walking back to the Commercial for a night cap . The bar is renown for good beer and live music till 2-3am and it was such a great atmosphere I had such a good night .
I asked for an alarm call in the morning as I was leaving early and this wasn't a problem even at 6:30 am .
Cannot fault this establishment and will hope to return again in the summer ,thanks x

Room Tip: Have "one for the road " a few times then the noise pales into insignificance
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Eddy C

Dear Eddy, thank you for writing such a lovely detailed review. It was so nice of you to take time to comment on all the aspects of The Commercial. As a frequent visitor to Chester please do not hesitate to contact us directly to check availability for your next trip.
Kind regards Rebecca

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Found this little gem through booking.com and secured a very good rate. I arrived late on Sunday night and was very warmly welcomed by Rebecca who showed me to my room and explained a little about the area and local restaurants (as the hotel no longer provides meals). There was music downstairs but this was certainly not intrusive and finished at 11pm promptly. The room was very comfortable and spacious and the power shower (with body jets) was possibly one of the best I've experienced in a hotel. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, I had to cut short my 5 night stay which was a real shame as Rebecca has a really caring attitude and gives the impression that she would go that extra mile to make her customers stay as pleasant as possible. I would certainly recommend this hotel for the excellent customer service and would definiately stay again if I return to the area.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear Paul, thank you very much for taking time to write such a lovely review. Although your stay was cut short it looks like we made a good impression!
The Commercial has only 5 rooms so it is very easy for myself and the staff to give the personal service to all our guest and it's great to hear that it's appreciated.
I must just mention the music on Sunday night - this was a one off event for local students as part of their course work. We offer free room hire for charity events etc.
If you and the family are ever in Chester (the Zoo is a great day out) we would be happy to accommodate you.
Rebecca