“A very welcoming place to stay”

and 1 more site!
The Commercial Bar & Hotel
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We needed a dog friendly hotel in Chester for a night. There was a special offer on the Byron Suite at the Commercial Hotel and I booked that after reading very positive reviews from other dog owners. The staff were very friendly and although we didn't have the need, I felt confident that had there been any issues, they would have done all they could to sort them out. The suite was excellent, good attention to detail (absolutely massive bathroom with underfloor heating, roll top bath, shower and double sink) - it is obvious that someone has taken pride in the design of this hotel. Maybe they could stick a few veggie sausages in the freezer so that they could provide a full English for the vegetarians :-) .... Other than that ridiculously minor point, I would definitely stay here again, with or without our pup.

Room Tip: The Byron Suite is just lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skeddan
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking time to write your review.
I trust your journey home went well and the new addition to your family has settled in?
If you are in Chester again, with or without the dog you are more than welcome.
Kind regards
Rebecca

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Lovely little place right in the centre but tucked away in a little court yard. Room was beautiful, we stayed in the Byron room. The staff were really friendly and made you feel welcome. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Natasha W
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Wow Natasha, praise indeed. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you stay with us again.
Kind regards Rebecca

Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife was looking to take me away to Chester and she asked me for some ideas on where to stay, i had done some research previously and i said that the Commercial had received some good reviews, so this is where we booked. From the first contact the hotel staff were excellent, with choice of room, parking and the whole booking experience was made easy.
We arrived early and we were shown to our room which was very nice, spacious & modern, we dropped our bags off and were about to depart for our shopping trip, when they gave us a insight into the shops and what was happening in the hotel that evening in terms of entertainment and breakfast etc, off we went to explore.
The entertainment that evening was a local group and they were quite good, the bar staff were excellent and made us feel very welcome and provided table service so i didn't even have to move to get another drink.
Breakfast was excellent and cooked fresh, with the food being a good quality, it was busy and i can only assume that they were full which is always a good sign.
Overall we had a great time and the hotel and the staff added to the whole experience, we had a gorgeous meal at "upstairs at the grill" and would recommend eating there if you like steak, but please book.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cifulikeit
Rebecca_DaviesGM, Public Relations Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for your kind comments regarding The Commercial, staff and local restaurants.
Its always lovely for me to receive reviews such as yours and be able to pass them onto the staff.
We all enjoy working in such a fabulous building and it gives us a great boost when guests such as yourselves embrace the party feeling we strive to offer.
Chester is a beautiful city with a plethora of restaurants, you certainly dined at one of the best.
We trust it will not be the only time you visit us and look forward to your next stay.
Kindest regards Rebecca

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The hotel was lovely and very unique as all the rooms are themed. On our arrival, Helen couldn't have been more helpful. It was quite difficult to find so when we were near by, Helen came out to us to show us where we could park and how to get back to the hotel. She even offered to carry our bags for us. The big drawback was the d.j on the night. Music was pumping through the small hotel until 3am!! Annoyed and tired was an understatement. I would not recommend this hotel for a get away, unless you weren't fussed about sleeping!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank kazboo
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for taking time to write your review.
I am sorry that your stay was not as you expected but we do advertise the weekend DJ's on our website, call guests who book direct and have full information on booking.com and laterooms.
After previous and continual remarks like yours regarding the noise, making sure all guests are aware of our events is part of our policy.
Kind regards Rebecca

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Arrived to nicely decorated room and pleasant staff, within 30 mins thinking we had had made a big mistake, with noise in Courtyard outside bedroom window, only one of two windows in room double glazed. Asked to change room but told all just as bad!! Told a live band at time of booking on telephone - we can deal with that however after that finished around midnight - thumping dance music below your room till going on 2 am. On top of that seemed like a public walk way outside room with the opening and shutting of doors - maybe to do with toilet at top of main stairs. This place needs to decide hotel or nightclub!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gweger1

Thank you for your review, it's always good to hear the negative as well as the positive.
Unfortunately I am not in a position to fix the problems you found at the hotel. The building is listed so I cannot double glaze the windows and the doors you heard could only be other guests going in and out of their rooms. We are situated in the centre of the city so noise from the courtyard cannot be avoid as it is a public area.
We have been operating our house party theme for 4 years now and due to comments like yours we have always contacted guests prior to their arrival to reiterate that we do have live music and DJ's on a regular basis. As you spoke to a member of the team regarding the live music they would have surely told you about the DJ's too and given you the chance to book alternative accommodation.
Although you did not enjoy your stay with us I hope that you will continue to visit our beautiful city.
Best wishes Rebecca

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Chester is, I have to say, a lovely place. I have been to the race course many times but usually lost so badly that a night out on the town afterwards has been resigned to the realms of fantasy. On this visit my car had blown up rather unspectacularly and so I found myself in need of lodgings for the night, whilst the old bus was patched back together. Thank God, I say, for VW's and their moody catalytic converters, because as a result of my motoring debacle I discovered The Commercial.

Set back from the main drag in an almost surreally, but definitely serenely quiet square, the staff welcomed me warmly. From the handy hints and tips in back-woods survival, so generously proffered by the helpful bar-keep, to the breakfast served by Hannah - the nearest embodiment of an angel I have ever seen - to the comfortable QUIET room, my stay at The Commercial was simply fantastic.

Be warned though all ye who like to find something to moan about. THEY DO NOT DO GRUB IN THE EVENING (except some sandwiches) but then, when you are literally 10 seconds from somewhere that does - and more importantly 1 minute from a whole plethora of places that do - does it really matter? NO I say. No.

So - and to many readers' undoubted delight - in summary: The Commercial is central; The Commercial is fun; The Commercial is great value.

Chin chin

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kramdrazzi

Dear guests, thank you for your comments and my apologies for the delay in my reply, it's been a very busy time over the Christmas season.
I wanted to thank you for your kind comments and I have passed your lovely sentiments onto Hannah the angel.
I trust it will not take car trouble for you to stay another time and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Kindest regards Rebecca

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night, and will definitely stay again! The staff were excellent and couldn't be more helpful ! Also has very comfortable rooms. Only downside - is no carpark attached to the hotel, but there is a free car park just a few minutes walk away.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave H
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hi Dave. Thank you for taking time to write a review on our behalf.
I'm glad you enjoyed your night with us and I will pass your comments onto the staff regarding service.
It is unfortunate that we do not have a car park but as you said there is one just a few minutes away which is free after 3pm everyday.
Best wishes and we look forward to your next stay.
Rebecca