“pudding spolit”

Ranked #75 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014

just back from a pleasant meal out at Duttons in Godstall lane, both the starter and main course were very good, including catering a for vegetarian gluten free meal. But the pudding was spoilt by the use of 'squirty' cream, please use more ice cream or real cream, 'squirty' cream should never have been invented and just cheapens anything it is put on - yuk - and in the soft ambient light it was not possible to sort out the ice cream from the yucky cream

1  Thank DianaWJ
caroline_1986, General Manager at Duttons, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your recent comment. I am glad you enjoyed your starter and main with us, we do like to cater for everyone regardless of dietary requirements so all can enjoy the duttons experience.
In regards to the comment about the cream, I can assure you we use fresh cream and lightly whip it each morning we would defiantly not use squirty cream as it would ruin a good dessert.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Visited yesterday for lunch with my mum and sister. Duttons used to be one of my favourites for lunch in Chester, but it has recently gone down hill. Although the refurb is lovely, the food has taken a real knock back. I had the Duck wrap which was more sauce than duck, with a very wilted side salad and luke warm chips. My mum's Turkey Panini wasn't much better with the same kind of old looking salad. My sister had the ribs which were not hot, lacked in sauce and the bought in coleslaw tasted a lot like vinegar. The mayonnaise pot had splashes of BBQ sauce on it when bought to our table, is it so hard to make sure things are presented nicely and clean?!

Staff are sort of attentive and when we raised these issues with our waitress she said we should have said something sooner. This would have been difficult to do as it was hard enough to get someone's attention for condiments.. On the plus side, another waitress did suggest we moved to a bigger table in order to accommodate the size of the plates etc, I thought this to be a nice touch.

When my mum asked for the bill, we raised these concerns. Food is reasonably priced, however the extortionate price of drinks is a real let down. I can appreciate that restaurants need to make money somehow, however if you want people to return, I suggest you review these process carefully.

We had 25% knocked off the bill, although this is not what we really wanted. I used to enjoy Duttons for being a one of a kind place to eat in Chester, there are now however nicer places to eat that are more reasonable for lunch.

Hello
Thank you for your recent comment, we are glad that you like our new refurb we do to!
I apologise about the poor food that was served to you, I have spoke to the Chef in regards to the food as this should not be sent if not correct, our head chef has been here some 12 years and so has the duck wrap he assures me we have not changed the way we do it.
Our service is something we are proud of we always try to make sure that our guests never have to ask for anything, I understand this was not the case on your recent visit, if you could email me what date and time you came in I will look into the matter further. duttons@jwlees.co.uk

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Went here thinking afternoon tea, and trust me the ones we saw looked lovely, however on seeing the menu we changed our mind
I had the duck wrap and my friendthe scotch egg.
The wrap was gorgeous.
Large and packed full of tasty duck with a generous serving of chips.
My friend said the scotch egg was awesome and what a different thing to offer.
Pleased with our choices.
Great service, clean toilets, will be back

1  Thank purdypuss3

Hello
Thank you for your recent comment on trip advisor. We are pleased that you had a great experience with us and we do like to put a few unusual dishes on our menu. See you again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We went for lunch there , looked great from they outside, even better inside. The modern design made it look very unique. The food was lovely and well presented. The menu is a bit pricey and might not be for everybody's taste with things like goat cheese and spinach with chilly Panini, but a lovely place.

1  Thank Gwyneth W

Hello

Thank you for your comment, we love Godstall lane it is beautiful and I agree you feel like you are a million miles away when sitting outside in the sun!
We do like to give big portion so nobody goes away hungry! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We really enjoyed lunch here on Saturday afternoon. The sun was shining and because the restaurant/pub is situated in a narrow alley way it is perfect for eating outside even if it is windy. The seating area outside is lovely and clean and the inside is gorgeous too. Plenty of choice on the menu with prices to suit most pockets. We ordered the Dutton chicken club sandwich with soup. The menu stated a small portion of chips but we thought the portions were very generous which was much appreciated. The perfect setting for a relaxing lunch - with the vines draping around the alley from neighbouring buildings it definitely has a romantic, almost continental feel. Well worth a visit and we will return.

1  Thank ChrissyLee_12