“Wedding - mixed feeling” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rowton Hall Hotel

and 1 more site!
Rowton Hall Hotel
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Chester
“Wedding - mixed feeling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is a difficult review as my wedding day seemed pretty perfect, however we found out that a number of wedding cards were handed to a member of staff – that were never to be seen again. We called the hotel to see if they could shed any light and my husband spoke to the person in question who said that she would check the safe and call us back. Over a week later and no phone call. My husband called again to find that the lady he had spoken to was now on holiday and that no one could help us until she returns (I’m not holding my breath that we’ll actually hear back from someone). Unfortunately this is an echo of our original booking two years ago when we called to make the deposit payment only to be told that someone would call us back – guess what, they never did! I had to chase the hotel to give them my money!
There were also some bedroom mix ups on the wedding day (including my own room) and my parents belongings were moved into the wrong bedroom – but none knew which one! We also had a few reports of a rude receptionist the day after the wedding.
It’s a shame that some members of staff ruin it for the rest of the team as we take our hats off to the chefs, waiting staff and Tom the master of ceremonies. The ballroom was decorated beautifully and the food was delicious. I did have a great day and I do thank Rowton for that but it’s a huge shame that the level of customer service varies massively and that I now hold a negative view over the venue that we did hold dear to our hearts.

Room Tip: henrietta maria - great bridal suite
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jemma O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Celebrated 1 year anniversary here with a spa break. Outstanding service from all the hotel staff and great room. Spa was very relaxing with friendly staff. Only a short 10 minute drive into Chester to discover the attractions. Would definately go back again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
074, Front Office Manager at Rowton Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
What a fantastic review, we are delighted that you celebrated your 1 year anniversary with us and found 'Outstanding service from all the hotel staff and great room. Spa was very relaxing with friendly staff'

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rowton Hall Hotel very soon.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Myself and my husband got married here in July 2013 and we had a great day. In the run up we had a few glitches when planning the wedding as the wedding planners changed around so much and communication was lost. I found myself having to chase them a few times which was disappointing when you are paying for a 'wedding coordinator' as part of the package. We also received a few issued on the day of our menu taster as we were given a wrong dish and then had to come back for a second taster on a different occasion. After coming into complain and express our concern to management things seem to turn around. We didn't get off to a good start as the on arrival the day before the wedding my husband’s parents arrived to find out the suite they had booked had been double booked and they wouldn't be able to have the suite until the guest had checked out the following morning. As this was the wedding morning and we would all be very busy they wanted to settle in their room for the two nights and so they were extremely upset and disappointed. Despite packing everything up at home and in the middle of chaos I had to then get in the car to come to the hotel and find out what was going on. They were offered another room which was smaller and wasn't the special room we had hoped to assign to them which we felt they deserved after paying for most of the wedding. I myself felt very stressed and let down after we had paid to hire the hotel exclusively the next day and did feel concerned as to how the wedding would continue. After an hour of stress we were settled and the pre wedding dinner the night before was fabulous. We hired out a room next to the restaurant for all our guests and the service and food was all excellent.

On the morning of the wedding everything ran smoothly and the hotel was very attentive. We were assigned Keith to look after us and I can’t rate him highly enough, he was an absolute star and made my day. The whole day then ran smoothly and the only thing I could comment on was the champagne sorbet starter wasn't set due to a problem with the fridges on the day and the Crème Brulee desert wasn't to the standard that we had received on our menu taster.

After the wedding my husband wrote to complain and his parents were given a complimentary stay which they used last year and enjoyed and we were given a voucher to come and stay on our Anniversary - however this expired Feb 2014 (5 months before our wedding anniversary!!) so sadly we didn't get our stay.

I would recommend the hotel to brides as it has a very homely feel and is perfect to hire out exclusively for your guests. I'm hoping that the wedding coordinator issue is now resolved as towards the wedding things got a lot better and that the hotel are ensuring they aren't double booking rooms when people are hiring out the hotel exclusively and paying a lot of money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank S H
074, Front Office Manager at Rowton Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
We are delighted that you had a fabulous wedding reception here at Rowton Hall and thank you for commenting ' I would recommend the hotel to brides as it has a very homely feel and is perfect to hire out exclusively for your guests.I also attended the spa in October last year with my mum on a different occasion and loved it and would definitely come again. great day.'

With regards to the other issues mentioned, as in all businesses there can be a change over of staff. When you sent through your letter of complaint we were in contact with you and discussed the details that occurred on your wedding day in length and as a gesture of goodwill we offered both your husbands parents and yourselves a complimentary stay. All of our vouchers are valid for 6 months which is stated on the voucher at time of receipt.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rowton Hall Hotel soon as you have mentioned ' would definitely come again.'
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I really cannot believe what I am reading about the last two comments about this hotel. We stayed there 1st and 2nd June to celebrate our Pearl Wedding Anniversary. We dined in the Restaurant on both nights and the food was excellent and extremely well presented, and we were not kept waiting at all for our main course, apart from the time it obviously took to cook!!! so how the gentleman said he had to wait well over an hour baffles me!!! As to the woman who said there could be more choice for breakfast, there were about 8 different types of cereals to choose from, numerous cooked choices including kippers and smoked haddock as well as a full English, yoghurts, fruit, toast, and fruit juices, goodness me what else does she want. We found the staff really friendly and helpful. The room was lovely and the bathroom was absolutely spotless. Yes we were overlooking a car park but do some people spend all their time in their bedroom looking out at the view. We did not use the spa but we were told at the time of booking if we wanted to use it then it would be advisable to book in advance which is normal for most spa hotels. We had a lovely time there and would not hesitate to recommend it to our friends and family.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvia T
074, Front Office Manager at Rowton Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your Pearl Anniversary with us.

Thank you for your comments 'there were about 8 different types of cereals to choose from, numerous cooked choices including kippers and smoked haddock as well as a full English, yoghurts, fruit, toast, and fruit juices, goodness me what else does she want. We found the staff really friendly and helpful. The room was lovely and the bathroom was absolutely spotless. Yes we were overlooking a car park but do some people spend all their time in their bedroom looking out at the view. We did not use the spa but we were told at the time of booking if we wanted to use it then it would be advisable to book in advance which is normal for most spa hotels. We had a lovely time there and would not hesitate to recommend it to our friends and family.'

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Rowton Hall Hotel in the very near future.
liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed just two nights recently for a spa pampering weekend but found that the room I had been given was very noisy, doors being banged all the time. I had a quite a nice snack in my room, early evening but later decided on a meal in their restaurant. You would not believe how long I waited for the main course, the starter was fairly quick but I had to wait nearly one hour 40 minutes for the main course. They were fairly busy but that is a ridiculous time to wait, I did complain to the reception but apart from an apology I received no offer of compensation. Also keeping in mind I came for a spa weekend I was told that they were fully booked for a procedure I wanted. Had to wait until the following day just before I was checking out. All in all, I did not think that the £400 cost was money well spent.

Room Tip: if you visit this hotel make sure you ask for a room away from the noisy areas.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Paulul j
074, Owner at Rowton Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay but I am delighted that another guest has answered on our behalf. My sincere thanks to the guests who were celebrating their pearl wedding anniversary.

Regarding your comment 'You would not believe how long I waited for the main course, the starter was fairly quick but I had to wait nearly one hour 40 minutes for the main course.' I am sorry to disagree but we do record the times on all of our meals during service and we have looked through all of our orders for May and no body waited an hour and 40 minutes for a main course.
Darwen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Arrived on a rainy chilly evening. Our room was in an annex overlooking a very neglected area of the hotel. The view was of garages/workshops, with old discarded chairs and rotting woodwork.
The bedroom and bathroom were very clean and well presented. The bed was comfortable.
What let the place down was the cold, no heating turned on in the bedroom. We ate in the dining room hoping to get warm but no heating in there either. I ate my meal with a coat on.
A member of staff said he would sort out the heating in our room but it never happened. The second day seemed even colder but still no heating. After three phone calls to reception on second evening someone brought a portable heater to the room which made such a difference.
Food was very good but could do with more choice at breakfast.
The staff were pleasant and friendly.
Didn't use the Spa facilities just in case it was cold in there as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dorothy F
074, Owner at Rowton Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014

West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Will be returning soon.....

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
074, Front Office Manager at Rowton Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
What a fantastic review and we are delighted that you found your stay 'heaven'.

Thank you for commenting on 'What a fantastic hotel...staff excellent and friendly, room very comfy and homely. Was made to feel very welcome. Pool area spotless and inviting. Especially enjoyed the food and the whole dining experience was heaven....
Will be returning soon.....'

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.