“fabulous girlie break”

Ranked #5 of 44 Hotels in Chester
CHESHIRE
“fabulous girlie break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

what a great place to spend a relaxing weekend away with the girls! check in was great the girls on reception are lovely so bubbly and friendly we were taken to our rooms by a lovely man who was more than happy to give us a tour of the hotel. the bedrooms are absolutely stunning i now want to go home and re decorate. we spent that afternoon in the spa having some treatments so good i have actually booked myself and my mum in for a few weeks time. dinner that evening was excellent service was very quick considering the restaurant was very busy.
i would definitely recommend this hotel and their spa to everyone its the perfect little retreat for complete and utter relaxation.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
frodsham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

took my wife for our 20th anniversary,i visited the hotel on my own before i had booked the suprise weekend.The staff were really friendly and very helpful,i even had a guided tour of the hotel and its grounds.On arrival with my wife we were greated and shown to our room,my wife was taken back with the look of the room it was as big as our front room,and we had a great view of the well kept gardens.we ate in the restaurant that night,and they had set a table up in the corner with candles and a free bottle of wine,the food was well presented and went down a treat.(its a pity there was not more on the plate,but they say quality is better than quantity).i would like to thank Rowton Hall for making our 20th a weekend to remember
c.m doyle

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
North London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

Having stayed at this hotel a year ago and having found no soap in the room or in the reception toilets, we questioned this at the reception desk to be told that there was a shortage of soap. We smiled assuming the receptionist was infact joking only to be told that this was infact the case and the hotel were having trouble with their suppliers and that there was no soap! We wrote to the manager to complain but received no reply. To our dismay, when we returned to the hotel last week in respect of business meetings in Chester, Leanne at the reception had arranged for our room to be located on the second floor at the far end of the corridor. When we entered the room we noted there was only sufficient towels for one person to have a shower. Not only this but the room was one of the smallest rooms we have ever seen. Upon communicating our dissatisfaction the Leanne, we were then moved to a ground floor room which was much more suitable, the only difference being that there was no toilet paper and no tissues for us to use. Why isn’t this hotel managed to a far superior standard in line with the website and the way in which this hotel is portrayed? When we approached the girls at reception, it appeared they were having a ‘private joke and laugh between them’ about the initial room they had allocated to us. We found that most distasteful and were rather alarmed that their priority did not lie with our comfort and our stay, however with their personal giggles about the situation. We our in our 60's, and the hotel has no lift. We should not have to advise the hotel where to locate us. When I asked Leanne why we had been allotted such a distant room, she told us, it had been chosen because ‘it was her favourite room in the hotel’! We failed to see how the room on the second floor could have been anyones favourite room as the central fan system for the hotel, which is extremely noisy and would have made it impossible for anyone to get to sleep is located directly opposite the window in that room. When I mentioned our age, Leanne simply shrugged her shoulders without a care in the world. There was no toilet paper and we had to ask for this. At breakfast the following morning, a table was set for two persons and my wife and I sat down to find only one cup had been laid on the table. We had to request a second cup. The coffee served was luke warm and we had to request hot coffee and the sausages were lousy to say the least! With such poor service experienced on two separate occasions a year apart, we shall not be giving them a third chance and have no desire to return to this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
north wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

Just returned from a nights stay at Rowton Hall. Mixed feelings really. We arrived to find that reception had no details of our booking. This was sorted out and we checked in and went up to our very cold bedroom. I mentioned to reception that the room was cold and was told that the heating was due on within half an hour which to be fair happened...perhaps if they had our booking the heating would have been on sooner.I went to take a bath to find that we had no bath towels or soap but then later found them outside our bedroom door. I couldn't find the hairdryer anywhere in the room but didn't want to cause a fuss so went to dinnner with wet hair!We booked a table for dinner, my husband wanted to watch the football so I asked if we could eat at the early time slot of 7pm. I was told that we could eat at 7.30pm at the earliest. We came down for dinner about 7pm had a pre dinner drink and went into the restaurant at 7.30pm, to find that we were the only two diners that evening.The food was ok. I ordered pate with red onion confit (which wasn't on the plate)no extra bread or brioche was offered. My husband had the chicken roulade which was ok but the leaves which it came with were" soggy" the main courses were ok but nothing that warrants 2 rossettes as for my dessert of Hazelnut and strawberry stack it was more like cream with 2 strawberries and 3 very hard hazelnut flavoured biscuits.
I know it sounds like we are just picking fault, but we choose this hotel because of the food awards and wanted to do something special for my husbands birthday.
To be fair, the staff we're helpful and the lady on reception on checkout was really friendly and efficent., but not sure if we would return to Rowton Hall.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Crosby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

We stayed at this hotel on a dinner, bed & breakfast rate & booked a suite. The room was very nice, although the bed didn't seem as long as a standard bed...strange but true. The bathroom television was a rather dated portable tv, housed inside a box mounted on the wall in a corner by the shower. We rang reception as there didn't appear to be any toiletries in the bathroom & were informed that shower gel/shampoo were wall mounted in the seperate shower cubicle (screwed to wall)...this wasn't much use as I had to stand in the shower & pump shower gel into a glass to then take to the bath! no shower caps/cotton wool etc either. The dinner menu was exactly the same as the Sunday lunch menu & looked as though it had been re-heated in a microwave...overcooked veg & more like a Tobey carvery (but not as good!). Not impressed with the food at all or the decor of the restaurant & the waiter stank of cigarette smoke! maybe we just experienced an off night?? Overall the spa & pool looked nice & we liked the our hotel room, but think it was over-priced & definitely not impressed with the food!...mixed feelings & don't think we'd return.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

We had fabulous time at the Rowton Hall hotel and would like to give thanks all the staff. It reminded us of a holiday in Ibiza a few years ago. Loads of, glitter, plenty of base, good music and a great dance floor where we chased the fast white lady that the RH staff had so kindly organised for us. I would like to thank the bar staff who kept me topped up with coke and plenty of ice for most of the night. While my girlfriend enjoyed her dama blanca cocktails that she said were fantastic. The room was out of this world, we could see huge mounting of snow through the window pain at the back of our room, wow, what a view but unfortunately most of the snow had gone by the morning. The rooms were well equipped with a huge bathroom that even had a tv in it, the sleeping was a 4 poster bed that looked fantastic, although I did also notice crack on top of the window sill but that seemed to have gone by the morning. We had a great nights sleep but we were woke by birds beaking on our window pain. We walked around the gardens and noticed all the greenery, the gardens did look rather overgrown for the time of year and we did pass comment to the gardener about the weed. The swimming pool looked really inviting and the staff were very kind in helping us. We entered the restraint at 7pm and saw the chef flame cooking we where quite shocked although it did look very nice. My girlfriend and I had a lovely Cocktail to start followed by a nice bottle of polvo blanco and I had the frisco special for my main course, my girlfriend had the salmon paste and she said it was lovely. I would use this hotel again when I next visit England

Charlie Bush Iceland

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2008

I am astounded by some of these negative reviews as our experience is the total opposite.
When looking for reception venues for our wedding we wanted a hotel that we could have exclusive use of,had charm and character,had an opulence that would make us and our guests feel special and that had friendly and accommodating staff....this hotel had it all and in abundance,
Nothing was too much trouble, from Gemma and Victoria guiding us through it all, to Eric the wonderful toast master- the whole day was perfect and all our guests had a ball.
The food was excellent especially as we had a hundred for the wedding breakfast and one hundred and fifty for the evening and the following day no one was made to feel rushed into leaving.
Our guests(especially those from abroad)were bowled over by the bedrooms and our bridal suited was gorgeous.
Would I recommend this hotel........without a moments hesitation.In fact one of my work colleagues is paying it a visit as he heard from several of our guests how superb it all is.

• Liked — the bridal suite!
  • Stayed October 2008