“Horrendous- don't stay here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Horrendous- don't stay here!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Where to start?

We arrived early and booked in with a women who was pleasant enough, we were given our keys and told that when we returned, we would be given a remote controller for the TV. We were also told that should we return after 11pm at night, that we should use the front door key as there would be no staff on the premises after that time.

We returned at 4pm after a day out in Chester. We were greeted by a women who was slumped in a chair drinking alcohol and screamed out for a member of staff. The member of staff was male and basically swore when he saw us saying, 'oh for f***s sake' he then disappeared and came back after 2 mins with the remote controller. Great impression!!

That night we went out for a lovely meal in a pub over the road called The Hawkers Arms, which I would thoroughly recommend. At 2am we were disturbed by a couple in the next room arguing, to be honest the women sounded like a psychopath!! As there were no staff on the premises, we felt we had nobody to complain to and didn't want to approach said 'psychopath' in case we made the situation worse. They argued for 1 hour in total!!

In the morning my partner went in to have a shower, only to find that the shower didn't work. The heating dial had actually fallen off, of what was a very old shower. When he tried to put the heating dial back on, it no longer fitted as the inner thread had shorn off. He went down to reception to complain but couldn't find anybody, he eventually found someone in the kitchen. He was told that someone would come up immediately to take a look at the shower or offer us another room to shower in. We waited 30mins and nobody arrived, breakfast was only offered for another 30 mins and so we decided to have a wash instead and go down. We were asked by the kitchen person if anybody had been up to see us, to which we said that they had not. We said that we would see someone at reception on the way out, to ask for a slight refund on the cost of the room. Guess what there was nobody to be seen as we were leaving. what a surprise!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Potter1972

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Sao Paulo, Brazil
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

The room was dirty. There was a leak in the bedroom and the staff were rude and unhelpful. The breakfast was served at the bar, which was interesting, but the heating was not working and it was winter.
The cost x benefit ratio does worth it and did not recomend it.

Room Tip: Do not pick the room at second floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MaraSilvia

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

The room I stayed in was terrible, was smelly with dirty walls, smelly bathroom that hadn't been cleaned and staff were rude and unhelpful. Breakfast was not an enjoyable experience. The electric had gone so sat in the dark eating a very basic breakfast that cost about £1 to make. No effort had been made to ensure customers had a lovely stay. Lactation good but would rather of payed the extra for an enjoyable stay. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Sarahdarby09
Astley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is one of the best priced hotels at such proximity to the town centre. It has no parking, but you're just a five minute walk to the railway station where there is ample, reasonably priced (£5.90 for 24 hours) parking. The rooms are compact but cosy and clean. The building itself is a bit of a rabbit warren, with lots of two steps up, followed by three steps down etc, but its a small thing and once you get the geography of the hotel its all good. The breakfast is good too, in the basement, which isn't a basement at all but a canalside pub with lots of bright spaces. Lots of pubs and clubs nearby if you don't actually want to head to the centre, but its literally four minutes to the top end of Foregate. Definitely I would stay here again on return to Chester

Room Tip: Be sure to remember that the doors don't lock automatically like in many other hotels. On exit...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

As a student a lot of hotels are out of my price range, but the Eaton Hotel was perfect. A good central location and with a lovely canal side restaurant downstairs which served typical bar food. The breakfast spread had everything you'd want, including a vegetarian cooked breakfast which I was very happy with. The lack of parking was no issue for us as we came by train, and the hotel was easily within walking distance of the station. Great distance from the centre of town, just outside. Staff were all very helpful and polite, and the cleanliness of the room couldn't be faulted. The bed was very comfortable with luxurious sheets, and the restful colour scheme of the room was lovely.

The room was quite small, but for a mini-break where we were out doing things all day it was just right. (I think too much furniture had been crammed into a small space, a chest of drawers could have been removed to create more space.) As others have said, the windows and walls are not particularly sound proof, and the traffic starting in the morning woke me up each day. I would suggest ear plugs to make sure you would not be disturbed.

The only thing that did annoy me that I would ask to be fixed (if it hasn't already) as the ensuite door got stuck each time we shut it. The door had to be shut so the person on the toilet could not be seen from the room, and as a claustrophobic person it was distressing thinking I was trapped in there before my bf managed to open it again. We eventually discovered a way of simultaneously pushing the handle, pulling and then shoulder barging the door to open it again, but this is not what you want on a relaxing break. The bathroom was clean and pleasant however, with a good sized bath to unwind in.

I would recommend this hotel for a good value stay in a central location,and I would certainly return again.

Room Tip: Away from the lift to avoid the breakfast/late night passing.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Great location. 5 mins from Chester Train Station and 5 mins to the shops. No parking, but we parked at the Train Station for £5.90 for 24 hours, which is very reasonable.

Stayed in Room 19 which is a twin, with barely room to walk around the beds and two dressing tables - ridiculous in such a tiny room. Get rid of the one by the window, as you can't get to it anyway it's so close to the bed. The bathroom door squeaks open (it doesn't actually open into the room as there is no room for it to do that, so it folds) and makes a right noise, so you end up disturbing the other person in the night going to the loo. Also it's not very sound proof, as there is a 2 inch gap above the door, so it's a bit embarrassing.

Oh and also the window!!! It rattles with every bit of wind. That disturbed us too, as it didn't stop rattling. Very annoying. Like Chinese Torture. It wasn't a particularly windy night either.

There are no duvets. It is a sheet - crisp white clean one I might add, but with a dirty stained blanket over the sheet, then a bedspread. I had to remove all this and just have the sheet because I was not going to let that touch me, so I was quite cold in the night. Beds are a bit old and like cardboard. I don't think mine had any springs!

Would I stay here again? No. But it did the job for one night because thankfully we weren't in the room much, as we shopped in the day and went out at night till late.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Millie_Boon
ENGLAND
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed here over the weekend for one night with 9 of my friends. We had 5 twin rooms, all of which were terrible - the window was smashed in one room and had just been gaffa taped up! The water in my room was cold, the heating didn't work and the shower from the room above leaked through the ceiling. When I told the lady at reception she said 'ok, it's not a problem' - no apology whatsoever! The rooms were dusty, the bathrooms were tiny and the staff were rude. Breakfast was ok but as we were sat chatting finishing our drinks, they turned the lights off which I can only presume meant they wanted us to leave...so we did with pleasure! The only positive thing about the hotel was it's location but next time I'd stay at the Premier Inn over the road. WARNING - AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends