“Birthday treat ruin for my Nanna”
Review of The Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Birthday treat ruin for my Nanna”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My 77 year old Nanna had been taken away for a birthday treat. Were shown to our room, the ceiling and walls had damp on them, which had made contact with the bedding, which was wet when we touched it, so was the floor. We spoke to front desk, who moved our room.
We thought that this would be the end of our problems, unfortunately we had chance of a good nights sleep due to load music and shouting that continued til 2:30 in the morning, resulting in none of us getting any quality sleep. The lights on the wall were loose and we felt that they were too dangerous to use. There were stains on the walls and ceiling as well as around the windows.
The television didn't work properly and the bathroom facilities we also dirty, we tried to complain but there was no one at the front desk on our check- out further attempts to contact the hotel have fallen on deaf ears.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel, just a matter of time before it closes
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rachel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

When I arrived the lady on reception was pleasant. Checked in easily. Only when I got to the bedroom door and had to wrestle with the lock did alarm bells start to ring. On entering the room the overwhelming smell of bleach hit me. Elastic bands held the shower together. There was no hot water in the tap from start to finish. Leaving my bag in the room, I went out to meet friends for the day. I retuned to shower before continuing to enjoy Chester. On returning for a nights sleep, throwing the bed cover back, OMG, stains on the covers, the bed sheets were white at some time in their life I'm sure. Having 2 single beds in the room, I tried the other which was marginally better. With the constant dripping of the shower I got to sleep at 3 am! So, to breakfast I go just before 9 am. I had the last drop of milk from the jug for my cornflakes and requested more, to be told they had run out and someone had gone to source more. Full English took 30 minutes to arrive, and to be fair wasn't bad. However, finishing my orange juice, I notice something at the bottom of the glass. It was a false finger nail complete with the French white bit at the top!! I actually heaved at the table but managed not to throw up. On pointing it out to the server, her reply was, oh and scurried into the kitchen with it. I normally milk my time away and stay right up to check out time, but not this occasion!!!

Room Tip: Don't, just walk passed and find somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank 666chester

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I don't like writing bad reviews but this hotel needs one. We stay in lots of £70.00 B and B establishments and this place compares badly. "Hotel" is a vague concept. To me, The Eaton is a bar with rooms above it. Don't expect anything like a lounge.

And don't be misled by the shiny, attractive photos on booking.com. It's a dirty place in need of a lot of maintenance. Our room and adjacent bathroom were cramped and had no plus points. The furniture and bed were OK as was the shower. The windows were dirty and there was a broken pane. The tracks on the secondary glazing were so clogged it was difficult to open it.The cover on the TV aerial socket had fallen away from the wall exposing the wiring.The walls were scuffed and needed repainting. The bathroom had cracked tiles and some very badly applied and dirty badly applied filler had been used round the shower. The carpet had not been properly cleaned. Anyway, you are getting the picture. Oh, and a bag of rubbish went up and down in the lift with us for the first 12 hours of our stay.

The hotel owners write, " If you experience any problems during your stay we hope that you would inform us straight away so we can rectify the situation and your comfort and enjoyment will not be affected .....Kind regards ...Garry and Jackie Swift and Staff. " There was a problem which we informed them of straight away and which was ignored for the 2 days of our stay. The bathroom was pitch dark and had no apparent light. I was told that there was a sensor, that the "maintenance team" would call in the evening, that it was probably a blown bulb and that they could not deal with same (only the "team" could). No team called, no mention of the problem was made next morning; in the end I fixed it myself. It was not on a sensor, it was simply that the pull switch on the basin light had been left jammed behind the light's cover. I told a member of staff I'd fixed it but that it nevertheless had a faulty connection and went on and off at random. This (dangerous) fault was also ignored. I guess they were indifferent to it.

The other public areas of the hotel were shabby. My shirt stuck to the breakfast table, the milk jug had a large chip out of its spout and the whole breakfast area seemed to be undergoing a refurbishment that had been temporarily abandoned.The breakfast itself was satisfactory.

So, altogether, not a good stay. It is particularly galling that they take payment within 5 minutes of you entering, that they wish you to report problems then ignore them, that Booking.com give it a "good" label and that their photos are so deceiving.

Chester on the other hand is well worth a visit.

Robin Barrett

Room Tip: On no account ask for room 18.The east side overlooks a busy road, bars and restaurants. It doesn...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tterrab
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel is clean and what would be expected of a 2* establishment. Service at breakfast was a little disorganised and the coffee machine never seemed to be working. The food was satisfactory but very meagre portions. The aspect of our stay which was most annoying was that the canalside bar and restaurant was closed and had been for months, this was not stated on the hotel website, which I find very devious. After all said and done the stay was adequate and the hotel location is first class.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank andy c
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked this hotel for my annual Chester races outing on 28th June 2014.
We payed £200 a night for this dirty threadbare hotel.
When booking over the phone I asked for my room to be ready for when we arrived at 10am.I was assured that it would be ready.This is why I booked this room.
On arrival we waited for 20 mins in reception and nobody came.I went down to the breakfast area and asked if I could be checked in by a member of staff.They grunted at me and looked confused.Someone eventually came to reception and you can probably guess that my room wasn't ready.We had to get changed in the bar area and the lady who was checking us in was spying on us which we found very funny.We were told to come back at 12pm for our room and yet again it wasn't ready.
There was 4 of us staying in the family room and was given just 1 key.
The room was horrible.I though that they was a mouse on the carpet but it was a big pull in the carpet and it had been tangled up.The carpet was very threadbare.
The single beds looked like they had been salvaged from the local tip and didn't look fit enough for a dog to sleep on.No hot water in the morning just sealed it for me.
It seemed like nobody works at the hotel and nobody is bothered.
If I saw this hotel again for £25 per night I wouldn't book it!

Room Tip: don't choose this hotel if you want a nice room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank stokeylee
Johnstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked this hotel on line with ease of access to station and close enough to the centre. I hit that one a bull's eye. Great location, and we had a view of the canal, complete with baby ducks. And boats, although I don't know the politically correct form of address. Narrow boats/barges/house boats/craft/things that float on water. Pretty anyway.

On arrival, it is a very small hotel, and was a bit of a step back moment for me. I have only been shunted about on business recently, and been put up in big 4 star chains, so I did need to adjust my outlook. I had also persuaded my husband to go to Chester, a place he had never been before.

I need not have worried. We had the most amazing couple of days. The staff were warm, friendly and far from generic! On our second night, we got gathered up into an impromptu party in the small bar.

It is undergoing some renovation (I note the previous reviews) and does lack the polish of the big chains. More than made up for in charm and warmth.

Breakfast had choices. My first day I would have had the Vegetarian option, but they had run out of a couple of the elements. Fair dos- at least it shows they use fresh produce. I opted for poached eggs instead. Freshly cooked- three eggs and a heap of toast. The lovely lady serving was still worried that I may not have had enough to eat...

Our evening being scooped up into a nice social group of a couple of staff and obvious regulars was an unexpected bonus. I retreated, having been tramping all over Chester for the previous ten hours, but my husband is made of sterner stuff and stayed on. He came up to the room later, complete with an origami flower of incredible beauty, folded by Richie who does the maintainence work.

The flower was a metaphor for the hotel- made from an odd bit of paper, made with goodwill and charm.

Already planning our next trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Ideal location but the hotel definitely needs updating and a good clean would not go amiss!!!! Shower not working, toilet not flushing well. Beds need updating.
Breakfast undercooked and cold. Good job it was only one night. Just a room to put your head down.
Would not return.