The Eaton Hotel
US$175
Priceline
US$160
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I wanted to meet up with some of my old university friends in Chester and didn't want to pay loads to staying in Chester and didnt want to impose on any of my friends so i looked on booking.com and found a room for two nights with breakfast at a very good rate at the Eaton hotel. To be honest I was expecting the worse as I had read the reviews but thought "hey its cheap", also it is in a great location, so when i arrived i was met by the friendly receptionist and found my room easily. when i got into my room i was pleasntly surprised it was spacious, had a large bed (i was expecting a single), nice ensuite and enough drawers/wardrobe space for two nights and tea making facilities. Yes the tv was small but i didnt spend too much time in my room to take notice but it did have all the freeview channels! It also had a view of the canal. The only downside was that the decor could be updated and there were a few chips in the sink etc, but it was cleaned to a high standard and I had few towels the next day. (having been a chambermaid im quite critical!) In the morning i was greeted and served a tasty breakfast although a little small and not that much choice on cereal. All in all if I was heading up to chester again i would stay at the Eaton.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2010

The radiator could not be turned off and was too hot. The shower was scalding. I complained after our first night and was assured it would be fixed. It was not.
When I checked out I complained again and asked for a discount. I felt so scared by the manager's response that I dialled 999 for the police before leaving,

1  Thank Martin27London
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I called to book 7 twin rooms via laterooms but there was a techincal problem with the site. I then called the Hotel and spoke to the General Manager who said i had to book it over the website to get the discounted price (£50 for a twin room, £55 for a twin room with breakfast). I went directly to the Eaton Hotel website and tried to book 7 of the 8 twin rooms i had been told were available and on the web booking system were told 3 twin rooms were existed. So i called the hotel back and spoke to the same person (General Manager) to explain the situation to be told (in an exasperated tone) "I suggest you book the 3 rooms then". I said "can't you price match with late rooms for the £55 they state"? (twin + breakfast rate). I was told no. So i called late rooms to see if they coudl book the 7 rooms at this rate, when the operator searched for the same booking she found the rate had increased from £55 to £65 (twin with breakfast) and this rate changed "3 minutes prior". She asked me to hold while she called the hotel and when she came back to me i quote "I see what you mean about the difficult and unprofessional person on the phone you spoke to, i mentioned you to him your enquiry and asked if he changed the rate after your call to him and he said he had never spoken to you (there can't be too many people booking 7 twin rooms within the previous 10 minutes!). After speaking to laterooms i called back the hotel to to log a complaint, the same person answered the phone and i asked to speak to the General MAnager to which he replied "it is him speaking"!! After giving him some honest views about his (lack of) customer service and general difficult manner, he said he had instructed his receptionist to change the price on laterooms. I couldnt believe it, someone who should uphold the values of decent customer service, honesty etc but all i found was a disingenuous pathetic excuse for a man - even if he said i could have the rooms for free i wouldnt have bothered - STAY HERE AT YOUR PERIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mid30Couple
Reviewed 8 March 2010

First of all, before arriving to the hotel we rung to confirm that there would be secure car parking facilities when we arrived and the receptionist re-assured us there would be spaces available when we arrived; this was not the case. we were told the car park was full, when i asked the receptionist for advice on where to park, she just looked at me with no answer. literally as useful as a chocolate fireguard. When we booked the room online, we were given a choice of 30minute slots of what time to check in however when we arrived at 11.00am to check in as chosen, we were told that they couldn't check us in until 2.00pm! we had to park outside the hotel and hope not to get a parking ticket.
The hotel reception and bar area is up to date and modernised however; the room was somewhat different. The room was VERY dated and in need of a serious facelift!
the floors were creaky, the door was broken, the TV had very little or no reception on most channels, the shower door was broken, the toilet was beautifuuly presented with a distict yellow tint all around the seat. Hadn't seen a cloth sice it was put in. There was a note suggesting clean towels should be left on the towel rail - WHAT TOWEL RAIL! They could have meant the dangerous looking screw that was sticking out of the wall!
Overall disapointing stay - DEFINITELY WILL NOT BE RETURNING!

1  Thank ronnie_robo
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Booking in very easy and straight forward.
No where to park - despite parking still being advertised.
Lift a little cronky and despite being able to hold 8 management have put up a sign stating no more than 3 guests to use the lift at any time.
Radiator in room (15) really pumped out the heat when we asked if it could be turned down were met with the response that it would be going off later anyway. Had to have window as wide open at possible and it was still unbearably hot.
No markings on shower taps so it was impossible to tell hot from cold except by trial and error and as it take sooooooo long for hot water to run through this took some time. Also only given 1 small and 1 large towel for 2 people to use - staff not around to ask for more
Breakfast was advertised as cereals, fruit, yogurt and traditional english but there was no fruit or yoghurt . When the 'Full' English arrived I was informed that they had run out of sausages so was given extra bacon - I then requested beans on toast instead I was asked whether I would like brown or white toast - requested brown when it eventually arrived (very slow - my partner had about finished his meal - with sausage??????) I had beans on WHITE toast! Checkpout is at 11.00 but the cleaner arrived at 10.15 in our room and seemed put out that we were still there. Nobody available on reception on checking out to raise these concerns - I wonder why?