“Nothing was too much trouble, made our Wedding Day complete!”
Review of Brookside Hotel

Brookside Hotel
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Chester, United Kingdom
“Nothing was too much trouble, made our Wedding Day complete!”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We booked The Brookside Hotel for our Wedding Reception and evening buffet and I can't praise it highly enough! Marion, Mark, Richard and their staff literally catered for our every need, nothing was too much trouble. Not only did they look after us, they looked after our guests too - everyone commented on how fantastic the hotel and the staff were.

We were looking for a venue which was informal, cosy and welcoming and we couldn't have chosen anywhere better. We chose a Cream Tea for our guests as our Wedding was quite late in the day and I was a little worried it may not have been enough - how wrong I was! The scones were freshly baked and enormous, absolutely delicious and very filling, just perfect for the time of the day. The evening buffet was vast, tasty and varied and also incredibly good value.

Our rooms were lovely and spotlessly clean and its the first time I've stayed in a hotel with a comfortable bed! Breakfast the next morning was served "with a smile" by the lovely staff and we were not hurried at all. They had set up a large table for ourselves and all our guests who had stayed and it completed our stay beautifully.

I had read several "horror stories" of Wedding days being spoiled by various hotels and leaving newly weds and their guests with bad memories - Our memories of our day were only made more wonderful by choosing The Brookside. Many Thanks from both of us (and all our guests) - you are all STARS! :)

• Stayed September 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days. This is a fanstatic place to stay in Chester. Really cheap but equally good quality. Free on-site car park and free wi-fi. Waiting area is beautifully decorated andit's very cozy. Breakfast is avarage and rooms are bit small but to be honest can't complain for £35/day. Staff and manager very helpful and welcoming. After my check out, I had to wait for couple of hours and they let use their waiting area and wifi while I was waiting. I would certainly stay here again

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Plymouth, Devon
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We choose this Hotel for a bank holiday weekend break in Chester and it was pretty cheap in price for 3 nights. Staff and management were very friendly and helpful. Hotel has two CCTV car parks and residential parking in the road. Was very easy to find. It was about a 10 minute pleasant walk from the City Centre but we found if we walked in, we could get a taxi back from the City Centre for less than £5! Rooms were spacious and cleaned every day and tea/coffee replenished regularly. Breakfast was good with tea/coffee, orange juice, cereals, yogurts, toast and a full english, so no complaints there. We also heard good reports about the restaurant but didn't actually use it ourselves. All in all, I would recommend as it is very good value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed 10 August 2010

My aunt and I came to Chester for a 4 night break. I booked this hotel as the price for 2 single rooms was almost the same price as 1 double room but was a bit apprehensive because it was only 2*. My fears were totally unfounded, the staff were wonderful, the rooms were spotlessly clean ( my bathroom shone). The food was excellent both breakfasts and evening meals. Although about a 10 minute walk into the centre of Chester the bus stop is almost outside the door and gets you there in under 5 minutes and if you are a senior citizen like my aunt and me, and have a freedom pass you will not have to pay for the buses.

My single room was actually a very small double but it had an extremely comfortable bed and I preferred to have a double bed in a small room than a single bed in the same room which would have made the room look bigger. This room is advertised as a small double and anyone booking it shouldn't expect a large double. The decor was very nice too.

On one day we decided to go to Liverpool and the manager, Richard, said he would take us to the local station where the trains for Liverpool ran every 30 minutes. As we pulled into the car park the train was coming into the station and Richard ran to the platform and held the train for us - now that's what you call service!!!

The lady who gave the hotel a bad review must have been very unlucky. I would suggest anyone wanting to book this hotel should read and remember the good reviews as there are so many of them and we can't all be wrong! By the way it is soon to be awarded a 3rd * and well deserved it is too.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2010

My partner and I were really looking forward to our stay in Chester and after reading the great reviews that this hotel had received we thought it was a very good choice.

As I have a brain tumour early mornings are very difficult for me as I'm undergoing chemo and it was arranged that I could have a cold breakfast which my boyfriend would go down and get at 10am. We were also allowed to check out at 1pm. We were very pleased with the staff and how accomodating and helpful they were. He did speak to another lady a couple of times, but it was very difficult to understand her and she seemed confused when my boyfriend was asking things so he just said he'd call again. Madeleine was very helpful and gave us a list of good Thai and Indian restaurants some of which she had used herself.

On the first night we had to book two single rooms because that's all they had left, but it wasn't a problem and we had a double room booked for the next two nights. When we arrived the foreign receptionist was there and when we wanted to go through the details of breakfast she just seemed confused. We could see the papers in which Madeleine had written down all our requirements. We told her to have a look, but she insisted on rewriting everything down again which was irritating. She didn't know what rooms we had booked so we told her two single rooms for the first night and one double for the next two. She kept saying that we had one double and one single booked for the following two nights, but we told her three times that we didn't and could she please read our file.

She told us that we would have to choose out of the two single rooms which one we wanted for the next two nights. We couldn't believe it because it seemed that a single room magically became a double the following day! When we looked at the two rooms it was very difficult to choose because they were both tiny. As we are both very tall we chose the one with the bigger bathroom which had a sink in it. We told her which one, but she then informed us we couldn't have that one because someone else had booked it! So we actually didn't have a choice at all.

I was beginning to get very stressed which wasn't good because we had come for a relaxing break in between my treatment. The next morning the manager said we could stay in the one we wanted so we were relieved.

Unfortunately the room proved to be something out of Fawlty Towers! We had a small case and bag, but even after putting them under the desk there was absolutely no room to move and on the other side of the bed you couldn't even walk as it was almost up to the wall. When I had a shower I couldn't understand where brown water was coming from, but then saw it was running off the shower curtain. The wood panel at the bottom on the outside of the shower had been covered by a shower mat and when taken off the wood was wet and stank. The plughole in the bathroom also stank. Paint was peeling off the wall in the bedroom and some of the skirting had come off. The bed felt like sleeping on quick sand because when we lay in it we just seemed to sink further and further down.
However the worst thing was the disgusting smell in the bedroom when we woke up on the first morning. When I came out of the bathroom the stink was unbearable and I even asked my boyfriend if he'd s**t in the bed! After sniffing round the whole room we finally traced the rancid smell to one side of the bed. We then saw that above the bed the ceiling was all bubbly and and the shape looked as though there was a shower or a toilet in the room above. My boyfriend touched the ceiling and it was wet and had dripped down on to one side of our bed which explained the horrible smell. There was a wet, brown line all the way down the right hand side of the bed. Whenever we went down to complain there was no one on reception. When we saw a receptionist he didn't know what to say and shrugged his shoulders. We were given clean sheets, but the duvet cover was full of holes.

I know this is rather long and I hate to give a family run hotel a bad review, but it was awful, made me upset and was extremely dissapointing for the money we paid. We have now booked at the Premier Inn and have found out that it's actually cheaper than The Brookside. I would not recommend The Brookside to anyone :(

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Redlizzie77
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2010

Stayed at the Brookside Hotel in July and was mightily impressed. After coming from a dingy B&B in Llangollen this was a welcome change. From the owner coming to pick us up free of charge from the information centre in town to the twin bed room it was a great stay all round. We had a downstairs room that was a relief after lugging heavy suitcases around the UK on public transport. The room was spacious and clean...our two main criteria needing o be filled.The owner and staff where helpful and friendly without being intrusive. The night time meal was awesome and plentiful that we couldn't eat it all....(we reccomend the roast!)
Is about a 15-20 min walk to the city centre that is manageable. Great stay all round.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Uk Lancashire
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Only had one night the room was large clean and modern, tea making and even an iorning bord and a hair dryer. Nice clean bedding and towels. The breakfast was fab with a choise of what you wanted full english , cereals juce tea, tost or you can just have egg on tost if you wanted. They have a resturant but we did not try it but it did smell nice. There a is samll bar area and the drinks are very resonable cheper than town !! The staff where freindly and professional they should be in the London Hilton or something. I can honestly say I will be back if I go back to chester. Its an odd place with a mis match of new and old, it does look a little dated on the ourside but when you go in and look at your room you will be suprised. I hope they keep the rates resonable as this was good value or Chester. The only down side is it is not in the center its a good 10-15 min walk that may be a bit much for less able guests. other than that I would recomend a short stay at this hotel to anyone looking for a good value friendly clean hotel. 10/10 for the free parking.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple