“Tasty food, interesting atmosphere, fabulous small detailed outdoor area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Faulkner

The Faulkner
Ranked #34 of 548 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Tasty food, interesting atmosphere, fabulous small detailed outdoor area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Thought it was a local pub until my dad told me the food is actually all fresh. We got a starter of prawns with our mains, both fat & thin chips, cheesy garlic ciabatta & a chicken skewer, sounded average on the menu until it arrived on wooden boards, prawns on slate & beautifully layout out. We paid £24 for all that plus drinks. Only thing I would pick at is I got 4 prawn, they were absolutely beautiful & I would love the recipe but I would have loved to have had more. I won't start on the outdoor area because its so gorgeous, I want my back garden to look like that, lizards, suns, moons, mirrors on the wales, cute metal seats & a warm sheltered area with cushions! Top notch, 100% taking my boyfriend there, well, he can take me

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Bexagon

“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Myself an fiancé visited the Faulkner as I had just moved into Chester. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the quality of the food was superb. The problems were that as the restaurant is also a bar it gets very busy and cramped especially on weekends, the portion sizes are small in comparison to most pub meals and are overpriced in my opinion for the amount that you receive. I would choose to visit this restaurant on special occasion during the week but for a romantic weekend meal out I would avoid.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Tristen P
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We ate here on a Sunday evening and both enjoyed the slow-cooked shoulder of lamb very much. The man who we suppose to have been the proprietor/landlord recommended a delicious Argentine Malbec which complemented the lamb very well. The service was efficient and friendly without being intrusive. We would certainly go back.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank perthshirepuma
Christchurch, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not so good for us”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Lovely staff and decor, prompt service but felt let down by the food, adventurous quiche - feta cheese, onion and olives but very little taste and strange texture, my husband's beef and mushroom pie was disappointing to for the price , but lovely chips.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kay b
“Average Food, Okay service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

The food served at the Faulkner is rather average, It exceeds no expectations by any stretch of the imagination, but it is by far the nicest and least rough of the pubs in Hoole, apart from one or two shifty people who look like they might've had a small role on Breaking Bad, It's quite nice.
There's Wifi there, so you can be the epitome of antisocial and become separated from your families/friends by being bound to cyberspace. The service is good, the staff are mostly friendly, apart from the one or two people who look like they'd rather be on death row. And the one who looks like he was on death row.

• Visited June 2014