“Excellent - worth more than 5 stars!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chester Grosvenor

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent - worth more than 5 stars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Access to this city-centre hotel would be more difficult were it not for the positioning of a braided chap to guide you the last 300 metres. On arrival at the front of the hotel we were efficiently greeted and guided towards reception with our luggage well handled by staff.
Our room, overlooking the front, was very well appointed and perfectly prepared. Next time I shall ask for a room at the rear as the carousing street noise from revellers (not traffic) was disturbing.
Dinner was wonderful! Menu choices were exciting and tempting and my duck in orange sauce was faultless. Restaurant surroundings (in the Brasserie) lend themselves to the comfortable and pleasing ambience.

Room Tip: Front of house can be noisy despite double glazing.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

One of the experiences everyone should have, not only in Chester but the whole of the UK. A Decadent afternoon tea on The Gallery, under the crystal chandelier. Perfect sandwiches, too many scones for any appetite and delicious cakes with champagne and choice of numerous teas, all served by the most attentive restaurant manager. An absolutely fabulous way to spend our anniversary afternoon, or any afternoon. There's only one place we will be heading to whenever we are in Chester again. Highly Recommended.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Sitting in beautiful surroundings unfortunately their decaf coffee is totally unacceptable for a 5* hotel brassiere such a disappointment I have spoken to them about how poor the quality of there bean is but there was no change on my last visit sorry Grosvenor Chester but it's cafe Nero for me the next time I'm in Chester

• 2 of 5 bubbles
York,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed at the Grosvenor for a long weekend to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, The hotel and adjoining car park was easy to find with the map downloaded from the hotels website, upon arival the car was parked by hotel staff and bags delivered to our room. Our room was on the first floor and was clean, tidy and very comfortable, however there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The hotel is in a great location being on the main shopping street with everywhere being in walking distance. The continental breakfast was more than ample for two people, with plenty of helpfull restaurant staff on hand, similarily with the bar staff in the evenings. Overall a comfortable stay and would definitely return.

Treasure Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

We booked the Prince William Suite for three nights. The hotel is located near the East Gate and adjoins the shopping mall. If you travel by car, be sure to arrive by the shopping mall parking garage rather than the front of the hotel. The hotel is lovely, the Simon Radley restaurant was magnificent and room service is prompt. Loved our stay and would definitely book again.

Room Tip: Prince William Suite
2 Thank bcraig2
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

My husband booked us a room for my 40th birthday. We arrived in Chester at about midday saturday after dropping off the children then wandered about as we couldn't check in till 3pm- which felt a bit of a wait...
the reception's a bit odd as it's desks and we hovered feeling a little unsure until one of the 2 women finally asked if she could help us. That was the only time that I didn't immediately warm to my first meeting of one of the staff. Everyone else was enthusiastic, helpful, knowledgable and really lovely.

Our room was at the front on the first floor. It was beatifully furnished but I completely understand one of the other reviewers who said they were scared to drink the water in case we were charged. We didn't use the spa as the dialy rate sounded extortionate for what sounded like a steam room and we weren't going to be there long enough for me to book a facial.
It was reallly really noisy at night, given that my 2 year old was having her first sleep over with grandparents and we were really looking forward to an unbroken night's sleep, the drunk stag and hen parties made a continuous noise below our window but that died down at about 1.30. then a LOVELY woman who LOVED YOU AND YOU AND REALLY REALLY LOVED YOU while walking up the sweeping stairs and I think lying on the landing near our bedroom door started at 2.30 and didn't stop for at least 1/2 an hour and I didn't hear any members of staff speaking with her. We were at the brasserie downstairs when they came in to turn down the bed, which we weren't really warned about and was a bit of a scare as I'd left my purse in the room, thinking that it wouldn't be disturbed and I wouldn't have done that if I'd known other people would be coming into the room. The food at the brasserie was DEVINE and the staff were EXCELLENT, really knew the menu, extremely helpful, very welcoming. We had a drink in the bar afterwards and I had a non-alcoholic mint and lime crushed ice drink that was perfect

My husband had been really looking forward to a full cooked breakfast (he tends to only have kippers in hotels rather than us cooking them at home) but decided on the continental on seeing how much the supplement was to upgrade. I had a lovely bowl of porridge and the pastries were delicious

all in all, I've stayed in my fair share of 5 star boutique hotels and it was nice, but seeing as the weekend cost us the better part of £500 for about 20 hours and the hotel couldn't even stretch itself to giving us free parking, we won't be having a repeat any time soon, which is a pity as I love Chester and will definitely be returning there. we checked out by 11 and went for a walk along the city walls and ended up running back to the hotel to get our parking ticket stamped as I was so worried they would charge us another £10 if we went over being parked for 24 hours

Room Tip: would be inclined to get a room that's not facing the street and not near the big sweeping stair...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank kazamanc
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I took advantage of the £200 lazy Sunday offer for our Wedding Anniversary and we had a brilliant time however I would say that if we had paid full price for what we received I probably would have felt a bit short changed. I have stayed in several five star hotels before and found them to be better value for money. (Bigger rooms, complimentary mini bars, swimming pool facilities etc.)

We had a deluxe room which was very clean and furnished to a great standard. The bed was amazing! Tea and Coffee facilities weren't in the room but we rang down for them and they were sent up no problem and no charge- and the coffee was good brand filter coffee! The bathrooms have a nice Victorian feel to them, and the whole hotel does feel very grand.

As part of the deal we ate in the La Brasserie restaurant which was top class. It was relaxed and the staff were very friendly and attentive. The menu choice was good, and they even included free soft drinks instead of wine as my wife and I don't drink. (We didn't even ask, they insisted!)

Breakfast was good. Not buffet style, all items are a la carte (even continental) but you can order as much as you like.

3 Thank Callummck