“We weren't 'wowed'”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed for 2 nights with our young children. The hotel is in the heart of Chester. The building is lovely. I wouldn't recommend taking young children as you are limited to 1 restaurant and there isn't really anything for young ones to do. The rooms were just ok for a 5 star hotel. I didn't think the bathrooms were of a five tar standard. The room service menu was very expensive although the food was good. The doormen and receptionists were very welcoming. The restaurant staff I didn't find very inviting! We weren't exactly wowed by this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Helen P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,533)

Reviewed 15 March 2013

The Grosvenor is one of the oldest, and still remains the best Hotel in Chester. Centrally located on one of the main shopping streets, it is ideally placed to cater for everything from a day at the races, to a Christmas shopping spree. The restaurant and spa are again amongst the best in the area. I have stayed here many times in basic rooms to the best suite, and they all offer excellent levels of comfort and do exactly what they say on the tin. The michelin star restaurant is particularly good.

Room Tip: Some of the packages they offer on their own website, including spa or food, offer much better value...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank l r
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Booked in to an executive king size room for our 20th anniversary. Bit pricey but very clean and comfortable room! Although there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, you can ring through and they will bring it to you. On checking in, you are made to feel very relaxed and the staff are all very pleasant and friendly. The continental breakfast was fantastic and the service outstanding! We will definitely return here in the future!

Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Grosvenor on business. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are spacious and elegantly decorated. I stated in a superior double. Wifi access is good and lots of work space in the room. The staff are helpful and professional. Access by road can be a little confusing as the access road states no entry but you can get through by giving your name at the barrier and your car can be valet parked.

Definitely recommend for business or pleasure as the hotel is in the town centre.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Been to the hotel several times and eaten in the Simon Radley but this was my birthday so my wife and I decided to take advantage of a promotional offer and stay over. This is a traditional hotel with all the luxurious services you would /could expect. The short stay was wonderful from dropping the car at the impressive reception to collecting it the following day. Everything was simply perfect, the staff could not be more attentive or better trained, they made us feel special he whole time. I have reviewed the Simon Radley restaurant before so suffice it to say that it didn't disappoint. It's rare in these days of cut-prices faux luxury to find a place so sumptuously elegant as the Grosvenor but we simply didn't want to leave. A perfect place, perfect location, perfect performance and a perfect birthday thanks to this little oasis of luxury.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I have enjoyed many lunches and a few overnight treats over the years at the Grosvenor. The first being in 1975 when I treated my mum to lunch there with my first wage packet.
This was in the days of pink damask tablecloths and napkins before the Brasserie came along.
Over the years I have had good experiences with the exception of one when an obstreperous maitre d' put us off even entering the restaurant.
I was pleased to receive a letter recently from Pauline, the reservations manager offering an upgrade to past guests.
I took advantage of this to book a room for myself and my husband for one night and am pleased to say that we were in fact upgraded to the lovely Lichfield Suite.
We only ate breakfast at the hotel but this was delicious, well served and the best bit of all not a buffet table in sight.
The standards of service have been kept to a high standard over many years so thank you to the Grosvenor for providing a reliably good place to go for treats.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I decided to celebrate my partner’s birthday by booking us both into the 5 star Grosvenor Hotel in the centre of Chester for two nights.

We arrived at 5pm on Friday and left on Sunday morning. We drove up to the Hotel and had our car parked for us whilst we booked in, after which our luggage was taken to our room for us. I initially booked via late rooms but when I went on the Hotel’s website I found that I could have the honeymoon deal which was slightly cheaper than late rooms, and had a decent bottle of champagne, a red rose and some chocolates thrown in for free. Needless to say I cancelled late rooms and booked direct.

I had never stayed in a 5 star hotel before so was unsure as to what to expect. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The doormen were especially helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The room was the smallest available but larger than many rooms I have stayed in before so no issues there.

I suppose if I had any negative comments they would be that I felt paying £7.50 extra per person to have a cooked breakfast did not seem right, given that my room rate for Saturday was £200 and only included continental breakfast, and not the full English breakfast which was a £7.50 supplement.

Overall, the best part of the hotel was the location. It was fantastic. I normally hate shopping but given that the Hotel was in the centre of Chester, it was very easy to pop back and forth to the hotel to drop of bags or have a rest for a while in between shopping sprees. For me, it made shopping not just bearable, but enjoyable. Chester is a gorgeous place to spend a weekend, and staying at the Grosvenor Hotel made our weekend very special indeed.