“Perfect stay!”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a girlie night away with my mum. The staff were fantastic and the breakfast was amazing. The hotel is full of character and our bedroom was a lovely. The shower was made of marble and wrapped around which was a nice addition to the room. The location of the hotel is great and is on the main shopping street in Chester. We used the thermal suite on the Saturday morning and found the facilities very good. Would definitely recommend this hotel, loved every minute of our stay and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

My wife booked 2 rooms for us and our son and his girlfriend Saturday night to celebrate my birthday which delighted me. We had a room overlooking the main street - not a particularly big room but it was comfortable and adequate. The experience was as expected - good attention from all the staff, who gave us access from the Town Centre, parked our car and booked us in.
We were asked if we wanted early morning tea or coffee sent up to us, and were then disappointed to find this was because there were no tea or coffee making facilities or biscuits in our rooms. I was more surprised to find that were then charged service charge for the delivery of coffee to each room!!
Breakfast was included in the room rate, but only if we wanted Continental breakfast, which was fine for the girls, however my son and I were charged an extra £7:50 for an English breakfast, which was essentially one of everything and two eggs. Very nicely cooked but hardly worth £25 as claimed in the menu!
When we checked out we found that we were also charged £8:50 for the car being parked overnight which was a shock.
The drinks in the Brasserie late on Saturday night were as expensive as expected but I do believe that £9 for a glass of Sauvignon Blanc is overly so.
I have lived in Chester for 40 years, and this is the first time I have stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel. It is very comfortable with a touch of opulence in the furnishing and the presentation of the hotel staff, but it lacks the basics which many other hotels offer these days, and seemed to be solely focused on charging for everything it can, which was a huge disappointment to us.
If someone was to tell me money was no object and ask me where to stay in Chester I am afraid I would direct them to a smaller hotel in Hoole (which I have reviewed on Trip Advisor) than here, as I think the value for money is so much better and the service, food and level of comfort is every bit as good and the experience is more satisfying.

Room Tip: Rooms at the fron are quiet even though they over look the main street
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SteveW08
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Came for an anniversary break and had an amazing time, from the welcome at the door. Take a seat while checking in with the friendly receptionist we dined out but breakfast was amazing definitely try the restaurant next time. Amazing stay loved every minute looking forward to next stay.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Prettywoman123
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before, my family and I were looking forward to a luxurious overnight stay to round off our weekend, however, we were situated on the first floor of the hotel and experienced an awful lot of noise from the rooms directly above. My mother complained during the early hours of the morning about the noise, and I mentioned it again on checking out of the hotel, but was informed 'oh yes I heard there was a complaint' and continued to process our payment. I would have expected an apology, and whilst the hotel cannot be held responsible for noisy neighbours, we were made to feel that we were the ones in the wrong. So disappointing. We will not be back I am afraid.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Anne W
Cheshire uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed here September 2012 . Lovely hotel centrally located in Chester with excellent amenities and all the shopping ,dining and coffee bar culture all within 5 mins walk up and down the main street .

the hotel itself is classy the staff are attentive and it felt a little bit special to be a guest . The brasserie was great to have lunch in and afternoon tea or cocktails . The Simon Radley restaurant in the hotel was a bit of a disappointment all smoke ,mirrors and over the top presentation including something they called cucumber foam (froth to you and me ) can't fault the restauarant staff and excellent attentive service or the extensive wine and drinks list but the meal itself was more about showing off than satisfying an appetite be warned you'd be better off eating in the brasserie or any of the nearby restaurants unless you are impressed by presentation over substance .

The room was excelelnt size with an I pod dock which was a nice bonus , Drinks etc were the usual high expense but no more than similar establishments and unfortunately that is the price in hotels but as a treat factor it in and treat yourself to cocktails or champagne .

Overall excellent if pricey hotel stay that left me poorer but thoroughly relaxed and rejuvinated would I go back ? absolutely and I already have I would recommend this hotel and its definately an experience worth repeating .

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Quite a difficult hotel to review. Location is the best you could possibly have in Chester – walk out the front door and you are in the heart of Chester. Parking is not as easy as it sounds – hotel say go to floor 2A and park there – that may be possible at 7am but during the day you will get nowhere near it – we parked on floor 4 to find no lift to floor 2 so had to cart bags down four flights of stairs. Very courteous greeting at reception and we were escorted to room.

Room was very nice – large and well furnished. Window overlooked a roof and plant rooms – no noise though. Well equipped with a Bose Radio and a Loewe TV and DVD player. TV has no ‘guide’ and very few channels. DVD was a nightmare to make work with the TV. Can’t understand why when they provide a complementary use umbrella they do not supply basic Tea/Coffee facilities (They want you to pay the exorbitant Room Service charges no doubt). Bed was huge and very comfortable. Room even has a doorbell (more later).

In general the staff were very courteous.

All well so far and we turned in with the idea of a ‘lie in’ before our long drive home – put the ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door. Good nights sleep totally ruined by the aforesaid doorbell being rung by Room Service – asked why they rang when the sign was on the door and they apologised. However the damage was already done. To the hotel’s credit when I spoke to reception to express my anger they already knew about it. Receptionist expressed her profuse apologies and we went into breakfast.

Restaurant Manager offered to upgrade our breakfasts in view of problem but both of us are on a diet so refused. Continental Breakfast is adequate but not startling. On checking out they agreed to pay my parking fee but that is not really the point – stay totally ruined by a mistake that I would not expect a Premier Inn to make. All in all not a good experience, especially considering the cost, and would not stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Doolish
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed one night as anniversary return to this hotel that we had last stayed in 15 years ago. As before, it was wonderful and to be honest I think the friendly, fun, very respectful doorman was the highlight!!! All round the staff were excellent and attentive. The food at the Brasserie was excellent the only draw back being that the restaurant was quite empty and this made the atmosphere a bit cold. I hope I don't hve to wait another 15 years before I visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple