“Quality with Great Staff”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Bournemouth, England
“Quality with Great Staff”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Enjoyed a two-day stay here with family last weekend. Booked two rooms.
Easy to find in the centre of Chester. If you are travelling by car you will need a sat nav to manage the one-way system and a central pedestrian area in front of the hotel.
Great welcome from the doorman. Very helpful and parked the car as we checked in.
Not rushed and precise with our booking. Attentive. Good first impression.
Rooms plush but suggest you ask for a high room not facing the front pedestrian area.
Go for a room facing in to the hotel's courtyard.
Bed and room fittings excellent. Shower and bath clean.
Dined twice - once in the formal Michelin-starred restaurant and also in the Brasserie in the front.
Both very good. Better value in Brasserie.
Overall experience very good and the hotel's staff made our stay.
Chester is great and so is the outer countryside. Explore if you can.
Visited nearby Corwen and Bala. Thoroughly enjoyed area.
Top tip: From the nearby clock bridge outside the hotel, take a walk on the city wall towards the river.
Would return and recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is a very nice hotel, but expensive for what it offers. The room we had was smallish, but the bathroom was really good - lovely big shower and lovely big fluffy towels. We had a drink in the bar before going out to dine with family and friends and it was perfectly nice, but didn't have much atmosphere. The staff were very helpful and service was good throughout the hotel. I do like to have tea & coffee making facilities in an hotel room, and being offered early morning tea delivered to your room, doesn't really compensate for being able to make it when you want it. Breakfast (we only had continental) is very basic for what it costs.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Dodynic
Pork Pie
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have just stayed at the Grosvenor as a treat after a difficult period. It was a lot, lot, lot more money than I would normally pay but I thought go on treat yourself. The hotel is lovely, the staff very nice as you would expect. When I went for breakfast, if you wanted an English there was a £7.50 surcharge for guests, it should be £25.00 if not, I would be hard pushed to give you a fiver. Nothing wrong with it but small. The continental was free. The Spa was an extra £35.00 a day and really quite small which can be said I did not use, and no pool. The room was very nice but again no coffee or tea making facility's, you had to ring room service (there is a charge) when I decide to wake up I don’t wont to ring room service for a drink I wont it straight away.The T.V was poor, flat screen but with limited channels and no T.V guide. To park your car £8.50 per day, which wasn’t a problem considering where the hotel was. It was getting to the point where I dare not ask for anything in case I had to pay for it, lol. I suppose if you have to ask how much things will cost, don’t stay here. I just have a problem with paying that amount and then being expected to pay for things that are normally included. Teach me to shop around and not take things for granted.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank PorkPieFox
Sydney
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Lovely hotel with beautiful, luxurious decor in the common areas. Lovely breakfast. We were unlucky with our room as it was by the fire escape and looked over an internal courtyard. It was also boiling hot and we couldn't get the air con to cool it down. It was painted red with no natural light so I found it found quite dark and uninviting but my parents room was in the same category and theirs was lovely and bright with cream decor and much more sunlight in their room. Point is- ask to see an alternative room if you're not happy with the first choice as they must have a few different styles. We were only there for one night so we didn't bother to ask to move. The bathroom was tired looking with a fabric shower curtian which doesn't scream luxury to me. I expected more from the room for 190 pounds a night.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Travelux7
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Our son and his wife sent us a gift voucher for lunch in the Brasserie, but because of illness we were unable to make it by the "use buy" date on the voucher. No problem, however, as a visit to explain gave us a further three months grace. We arrived on the due date and were treated to a wonderful experience. Champagne followed by three courses of absolute bliss! This is the first time we have experienced dining at this level, but at £29+ plus per head for this level of dining I am sure we wll be returning! Try it!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a girlie night away with my mum. The staff were fantastic and the breakfast was amazing. The hotel is full of character and our bedroom was a lovely. The shower was made of marble and wrapped around which was a nice addition to the room. The location of the hotel is great and is on the main shopping street in Chester. We used the thermal suite on the Saturday morning and found the facilities very good. Would definitely recommend this hotel, loved every minute of our stay and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My wife booked 2 rooms for us and our son and his girlfriend Saturday night to celebrate my birthday which delighted me. We had a room overlooking the main street - not a particularly big room but it was comfortable and adequate. The experience was as expected - good attention from all the staff, who gave us access from the Town Centre, parked our car and booked us in.
We were asked if we wanted early morning tea or coffee sent up to us, and were then disappointed to find this was because there were no tea or coffee making facilities or biscuits in our rooms. I was more surprised to find that were then charged service charge for the delivery of coffee to each room!!
Breakfast was included in the room rate, but only if we wanted Continental breakfast, which was fine for the girls, however my son and I were charged an extra £7:50 for an English breakfast, which was essentially one of everything and two eggs. Very nicely cooked but hardly worth £25 as claimed in the menu!
When we checked out we found that we were also charged £8:50 for the car being parked overnight which was a shock.
The drinks in the Brasserie late on Saturday night were as expensive as expected but I do believe that £9 for a glass of Sauvignon Blanc is overly so.
I have lived in Chester for 40 years, and this is the first time I have stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel. It is very comfortable with a touch of opulence in the furnishing and the presentation of the hotel staff, but it lacks the basics which many other hotels offer these days, and seemed to be solely focused on charging for everything it can, which was a huge disappointment to us.
If someone was to tell me money was no object and ask me where to stay in Chester I am afraid I would direct them to a smaller hotel in Hoole (which I have reviewed on Trip Advisor) than here, as I think the value for money is so much better and the service, food and level of comfort is every bit as good and the experience is more satisfying.

Room Tip: Rooms at the fron are quiet even though they over look the main street