“Happy Customer”

The Chester Grosvenor
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I visited the Chester Grosvenor last week with my wife and we were greeted by a very friendly hostess who showed us to our seats and took our drinks order. All the waitresses were also very friendly but we are giving 5* to the service we received by your hostess Jessica she was fantastic and made us feel at home.

The food was also fantastic and we will certainly be coming back again. Thank you very much for your custom Chester Grosvenor we will be recommending you to our friends and family!

1  Thank 605John605

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Came for a break to relax. Checked in with the lovely receptionist who gave us a map and recommended some places worth visiting. Lovely room we asked for a quiet room when booking and it was definitely that, I think if you where over the front it may get noisy as it is quite a busy city. There was a lovely cake in the room from reception for my birthday. Dinner and breakfast in la brasserie was delicious and even though it is continental it was plenty to set us up for the day. The staff where exceptional and could not be more helpful Thankyou for making our stay so wonderful we will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I love this place and I want to keep returning. The rooms are generally very good and breakfast is about as good as it gets - especially the full English cooked breakfast. It is ideally located in the centre of Chester. Of course, it isn't cheap, but it is well run and classy. I've got to be honest about one thing, however. The front office (check-in staff) always seem a bit aloof, to the extent that the porter stands and watches you struggle with bags. As I went up and down the steps gurning under the strain of our suitcases and running about like a chimpanzee with a bad case of heamhorroids, he stood there and looked at me like an old headmaster clutching at his lapels, about to give me a detention for wearing shorts. I've had this treatment more than once, so it is either something personal or this gentlemen (who does look rather like Will Hay) is the proprietor and not the porter. Whatever the case, having paid a small fortune for a one night stay, and a 7.50 supplement to upgrade my croissant to two sausages and a fried egg, I do expect a little more pampering next time, please Chester Grosvenor.

Room Tip: Treat yourself and upgrade to a suite
6  Thank Arthurlonius
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Firstly, this is a lovely hotel. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and we got upgraded on our arrival. Thank you. Our room was a good size, nicely decorated and cosy. We were at the back of the hotel so it was quiet and we were not disturbed by guests, TVs etc...I am suspicious that the rooms are not overly soundproofed but we were lucky. Loved the valet parking and the gentleman on the front door are lovely and friendly. The receptionist less so. We had a continental breakfast that was ordered by menu and delivered. More on that later. It was well presented and we enjoyed it.

Things I would like to point out:
Bed is a little too soft and is two twins together.
Bath slippery, no mat supplied. I guess you could ask but one rolled up in the corner would be useful.
Limited toiletries, just basics, I've stayed in 3 stars which had more.
No slippers with bath robes and there should of been.
No tea/coffee facilities, again you have to ring up and order.
We didn't get a turn down service. We were probably in at the time but we've been in hotels before when where they have been unable to do it they left a discreet 'we tried' note under the door. We have no idea if they even bothered.
No complimentary newspapers except three in the breakfast area. Again I think this is poor for a five star. Again never stayed in a four or five star where you've had to pay.
Very limited space between tables in breakfast area I struggled to squeeze through and sit.
After we got out meals at breakfast no one came back and asked us if we wanted more coffee etc...we waited on purpose to see how long it would take and in the end we had to make it very known.
The charge of £200 deposit I have to say is outrageous. I've never stayed in any hotel that has asked for that. Once you've payed for the room and about to check in, it's difficult to then go elsewhere.
The car parking charge which you are not told about at check in.

We travel a lot and now live overseas and stay in many 4 and 5 stars for business and pleasure. A five star in Asia is fantastic and you feel utterly special and not in a patronizing way. The hotels in this class should 'think' what a guest would need and have it in the room. Having to keep ringing for basic things in tiresome. Tea and coffee facilities is a must. This hotel is resting on its past reputation but hotels in the same class around the world are surpassing it by far. It's a lovely hotel but it is really in my eyes not five star as there are too many things missing and the hotel creates a lack of trust in taking a £200 deposit which sits in their bank account gaining interest before going back into ours.

Take a look at the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong a true 5 star where the atmosphere downstairs is vibrant and buzzing and staff are amazing. They make you feel incredible even if you are just waking through, everyone greets you, looks you in the eye, smiles.....I have to say this wasn't the case here. Except the doormen, very friendly and nice.

People are becoming more global and are seeing what takes place in other parts of the world. This hotel could do well to take a look. Some adjustments would make a big difference.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Messenger Marshall
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here for a wedding and couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. The rooms were excellent with great facilities, the food was outstanding. Our wedding meal was great with the staff offering wonderful service. The guys on the door were ever so polite and dealt with the parking superbly. The girls who helped during the wedding were great, even crying when the bride entered the room. I have to admit we didn't pay so value for money would be hard to judge, maybe too high prices but if you can afford it then go for it.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Been here many times for coffee and afternoon tea .
Coffee shop / bar area is ok , food and drinks overpriced for the standard of drinks and snacks as they are average , afternoon tea is nice but again overpriced and the place lacks atmosphere . There is better coffee shops in Chester but I think it's stays busy because its The Grosvenor !!!
Very clean and decor is nice and some of the staff are very good .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Hayleys68
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Enjoyed a two-day stay here with family last weekend. Booked two rooms.
Easy to find in the centre of Chester. If you are travelling by car you will need a sat nav to manage the one-way system and a central pedestrian area in front of the hotel.
Great welcome from the doorman. Very helpful and parked the car as we checked in.
Not rushed and precise with our booking. Attentive. Good first impression.
Rooms plush but suggest you ask for a high room not facing the front pedestrian area.
Go for a room facing in to the hotel's courtyard.
Bed and room fittings excellent. Shower and bath clean.
Dined twice - once in the formal Michelin-starred restaurant and also in the Brasserie in the front.
Both very good. Better value in Brasserie.
Overall experience very good and the hotel's staff made our stay.
Chester is great and so is the outer countryside. Explore if you can.
Visited nearby Corwen and Bala. Thoroughly enjoyed area.
Top tip: From the nearby clock bridge outside the hotel, take a walk on the city wall towards the river.
Would return and recommend.