“Special offer dissapointment”

Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Kent, United Kingdom
“Special offer dissapointment”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I had a special offer from Secret Escapes in which I selected to have dinner in the Brasserie, therefore expected that I would be given dinner without any further charges only to have it pointed out to me that all that was available was the meat course on a small selection of meals and you had to pay for the extras. They did offer £25 discount on the main menu. The food was good but a tad expensive but I suppose if you are more used to this grade of hotel then it probably wouldn't seem that way.

The room was quite nice with a 6ft (two 3ft joined together) bed, which was quite comfortable but it overlooked Eastgate and being the main thoroughfare for pedestrians and shoppers it did not provide much in the way of peace and quiet, buskers playing till quite late (some good some not so), drunken revelry in the early hours and then vehicular traffic, mainly vans and lorries delivering to the nearby shops from early morning. The bathroom was small but adequate with a shower over the bath and the shower head needed some attention as it wasn't flowing well. Forgot to mention this to reception. Very nice and well stocked mini bar but also well overpriced.

This was my first time staying in a 5 star hotel and although it was nice, I maybe should not get above my station in life as I could have had 5 nights elsewhere say in a Premier Inn (which are just as comfortable and also have hairdryers) for what it cost me here. It all depends on whether you want all the trimmings or not.

2 Thank yankeemike4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Manchester UK
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I was going to give this review a very good rating (ideally would have been good but not available as an option) but there were a few things I felt let down by.....

Firstly my bill.... The hotel tried charging me an additional £15 for 2 breakfast upgrades, although I'd only stayed 1 night and this charge was already on my bill. They said they had removed the charge.... My bill total came to £274.35 my own fault for not double checking my receipt as they had included the additional £15 - receipt total £289.35! Then to add further insult and after checking my statement the hotel had made an additional charge of £15 without my knowledge. I know £30 in the scheme of things is not a great deal but the fact is they got it wrong - 3 times!.... Lucky I managed to speak someone who has promised me a refund, so here's hoping!

Secondly and although the location is great, the hotel rooms were a let down in my opinion, the rooms at the Best Western (believe it or not) Premier King at the Queens were much more impressive and thats my opinion.

We ate at the hotel, the food was nice although I think if I had forked out a supplement of £25 pp for breakfast I wouldnt have been as happy. The breakfast was well served, the food nice but you are verging on London hotel prices when charging £25 for a breakfast, you pay even more for other items. I think I paid around £19.99 at the Lowry Manchester (also 5 star) and you got a better choice.

Service was excellent,staff couldnt have been nicer and looked after you I would therefore hope that this is what results in the prices being charged as if it's not they are doing their staff a great injustice as it is them that make the place what it is.

Drinks were pricey £11.50 for a large glass of Red Wine (Rioja) and £5.95 for a bottle of Cider (albeit Organic)...

If you want to splurge then try the place, if your being cautious then look round and see what else is on offer. If you do book check the hotels offer prices as tney can be mich better than the booking sites.

I've stayed there now,wont return which is a shame if it had remotely impressed me I would have returned no questions.

Dont want to sound like an echo but please remember to check your bill!

1 Thank klh_110
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Chester is a walled city about 3 hour drive from London. We had business in Runcorn near Liverpool and it was suggested we stay in Chester, less than 30 minute drive away. It is the most beautiful town. So many remnants from the roman times including the most incredible monastry/ church. Today a Tudor style buildings are the main theme. Fabulous restaurants including a Michelangelo star restaurant in the Grosvenor hotel. It was closed Sunday and Monday the two nights we were there, but their brasserie restaurant was outstanding. It was a pleasure to stay here, apart from the amazing hotel and room, the staff were first class! This is a rare find. Worth the trip.

Room Tip: We had a fabulous executive room, huge and very comfy bed. It faced the main street and on one night...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here one night as a break in my trip around the midlands.

Got in very early and the staff were very helpful and got the room ready as quick as they could.

The Superior King Room was very nice and plush (as expected).

I had booked under their 'dine in' special in the Brasserie and I have to say I should have gone for the a la carte menu or gone next door to the fine dining restaurant and paid slightly more. the choice of dishes was less than excellent. And that is my only criticism.

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Lees Summit, Mo
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,279 helpful votes
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great place to stay and within the old walls of the city. The service was very nice and the spa was great. The only complaint was that the bar staff is a little "stuffy". Suggest that you get he hotel and spa package as it saves quite a lot. The rooms are nice and the beds are great. The shower was also fantastic.

2 Thank postrawb
Halesowen
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My husband and I treated my mother for an overnight stay. From the moment we arrived all the staff were attentive, thoughtful and polite. We were given rooms on the 3rd floor. Both rooms were lovely, quiet and comfortable. I had taken the advice of other reviewers and requested tea and coffee making facilities. I have no idea why you have to request them but for us they are essential! We had afternoon cream tea which was excellent. Drinks are expensive and the booking only comes with a continental break. This is fine for me but well worth the upgrade for my husband.
Overall we had a wonderful break in a superb location and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Me and my girlfriend came here for my birthday, very very nice hotel. The room was suppose to be £250 pn but got it for £134 from secret escapes. That came with continental breakfast.

When we first got to our room, was were so hungry. We used the mini bar Big Mistake!!! £2.50 for a small bag of crisps which you can get down the road for 72p. The beer was a average price and the chocolate bar was expensive..........

The parking is fantastic, Grosvenor Shopping Centre Car Park on Newgate Street its on level 2a. £8.50 for 24 hours, go to the car park and get your ticket then they sort it out for you when you leave.

My BUT is.............Continental breakfast is £17.50 and they English breakfast is £25.00!!!!! Yes you saw it right!!!!!! English breakfast not a full English breakfast either!!!!!! As we already had the continental breakfast we just had to pay the additional £7.50 each but when we got it......I'd be gutted to see what you would of got for £25 each for a breakfast you can put together for less than a £5. The orange juice was amazing!!!!

A good restaurant to go to is Hickory's, american themed. Very busy in there but great service and great food.

Room Tip: Get breakfast included if you can on your price if you want to have it there. As its very pricey!!!
1 Thank Daniel R